I drew Matador WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drew Matador WMA

Its my first time to draw a hunt from TPWD. I will be hunting the archery hunt in October for white tail, looking forward to meeting other hunters with the same passion as me. Any advice would be appreciated. Will they draw pastures as they do the rifle hunts.

Congrats Dan! Trying to draw Matador for spring Turkey for the past (4) years with no luck!

Comment

Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bighunter2670 View Post
        Its my first time to draw a hunt from TPWD. I will be hunting the archery hunt in October for white tail, looking forward to meeting other hunters with the same passion as me. Any advice would be appreciated. Will they draw pastures as they do the rifle hunts.
        Try to get the east side of the property if possible. The one time I drew archery it was a free for all. If you find out the method, let me know and I can give you a couple of areas to focus on.

Comment

I would appreciate any help. Will the water holes or windmills pay off to hunt them.

Comment

My son and I drew the rifle antlerless hunt in December. We were only there for 2 of the 5 days and didn’t fill our tags. They gave us the option to choose which pasture we wanted to hunt. We hunted the O.X. Pasture. Wish I could have stayed the duration of the hunt and walked more of it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I hunted there in 2016 archery whitetail and was fortunate to be drawn again this year for achery whitetail. Lots of good info on searches in here. They drew for pastures based on when TPWD drew you for the hunt. It started aound midmorning Monday after safety and rules were discussed. Tanks are always good choices as October tends to still be warmer weather. There are dry camp areas with covered picnic tables and normal park/rec style bathroom. Guys had campers and tents. It’s an awesome place.

Comment

Also if you call out there the folks are more than helpful with most questions other than where to hunt, that’s all up to you to figure out.

Comment

I hunted that same hunt last year and had a blast. We hunted Sampson pasture on the north west corner and saw whitetail and mule deer. There is a food plot and feeder on the other side of the fence that was holding a lot of deer and we set up trying to catch them coming and going but couldn’t close the deal. I got a really good map from apex mapping solutions that was very helpful and seemed better than what they had at the office. Saw some really nice deer, good luck I hope to get drawn again one day, it’s an awesome place!

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Looking forward to it but have most of my focus on my elk hunt in two weeks, I have been blessed this year. Hope to see u there Johnwayne86.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Looking forward to it but have most of my focus on my elk hunt in two weeks, I have been blessed this year. Hope to see u there Johnwayne86.
                        Yes sir give me holler if you need something I maybe able to help ya.

Comment

how many points did u have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just three. I don’t think points mean a lot.

Comment

I would appreciate any help. Will the water holes or windmills pay off to hunt them.
                              One of the years I hunted there I used the windmills (climbed to the top) to pattern a few bucks. Unfortunately, the two buck I was after were in the unit next to mine. I had to wait until the last day when the hunters in that unit decided to move. Got really close but I picked the wrong cedar tree that I thought was the right one when viewing from 1,000 yards away. Bucks passed within 10 yards of the one I should have setup by (50 yards from where I was). Loved hunting up there and would like to go back some time in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X