No announcement yet.

Rattlesnake skin on recurve limbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also i ruff up the Bow finish with fine steel wool and wipe down with Iso. alcohol

Comment

heres some I've done
      Attached Files

Comment

I never thought about it, but they indeed need to be smaller than I thought after seeing the bows...I'll have to dig up my notes, but it is pretty simple to tan yourself amigo.

Weirdest part is I have been on this same ranch for 10 years now and have only seen & killed a handful of snakes...all too big??

Comment

My snakes might be too big. those are some great looking bow skins for sure

Comment

These all came from snakes killed at work, it took a while to get a pair that matched for the Recurve the bow on the left was two very large snakes as that bow is a 70", the center Bow was a pair of 3' snakes. Pine Hollow Bows used to carry dried skins.

Comment

I rub them down with bees wax at the start of Bow Season to Knock down the shine.

Comment

do you have the scales on or off?? Look like they are there.

If so, do they flake??

Comment

Off

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    If you want the best guy ive seen ,contact bob morrison. Bob morrison bows, outstanding at both making bows and applying skins. And yes he will use your skins if you want.
                    If are not going to do it your self. I highly recomend morrison. He is very reasonable on price. I had a pair of cane brake (timber rattler) skins he did and It was about 175.00. And he supplied the skins. Had a buddy he did copper head skins on his, they were a bit more. But he does the best job I have seen to date.

Comment

Hardest part was killing the snakes

Skinned my old Damon Howatt Super Diablo the other day.
                      Easy as pie. I wet the tanned skins with warm water to make it soft then I used my CVS card to spread the tite bond and centered the diamonds on the limbs and used the card to squiggee any sir bubbles out and a razor blade to trim the edges and then an orbital sander with 220 grit to smooth the edges then duct tape to remove the scales then a rattle can of satin poly to seal the skin. All done in 24hr to include drying time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah. finding two skins that are color and pattern matched can be a problem. I got lucky and found two twin brothers in the same den

Comment

The more I see this the more I hope I can use the skins I have.

Comment

Hey Restless,
                            New to the traditional bows, but just wanted to say your bows look great!
                            Karl

Comment

Thanks,it's a labor of love.

Comment

Restless looks great

Comment

Working...
                                X