Coastal fishing in and after the winter blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal fishing in and after the winter blast

Mother Nature seems to be putting a chill in my plans. My brother is down from up north and we would like to go wet some lines out on the coast. Any and all advice on fishing during and after the cold is greatly appreciated. Plan is to head out there tomorrow or Thursday and fish for 2-3 days.

Find some deep water. We slay trout and reds when it gets cold. It's easier now than any time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Find some deep water. We slay trout and reds when it gets cold. It's easier now than any time of the year.
      ^ Yep!

Comment

Or get some crabs and find lighted pier and catch big black drum 40 or 50 inches now are common and easy and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
          Or get some crabs and find lighted pier and catch big black drum 40 or 50 inches now are common and easy and fun.
          Would the pier at goose island be a good place?? Any suggestion on location to try would be highly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Comment

This

Comment

Wonder what I was doing wrong... I went 2 weekends ago in Moses Lake (Texas City) and couldn't give away my bait. Was fishing deep and not a dang bite one.

Oh well, any day on the water is nice IMO

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                Wonder what I was doing wrong... I went 2 weekends ago in Moses Lake (Texas City) and couldn't give away my bait. Was fishing deep and not a dang bite one.

Oh well, any day on the water is nice IMO
                What are you fishing with and how deep is the water you're fishing?

Comment

What are you fishing with and how deep is the water you're fishing?
                  Its very tough right now. I've fished twice this week. Spektacular tournament out if Bluffs Landing this weekend. Some if the best fisherman around half the teams never weighed a fish Sunday. 5 teams out if 15 never weighed a fish.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy who is a biologist for TPWD said they are preparing for a fish kill. Water is at 9c here on Sabine lake and fish start to die at 6-7c.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                      Its very tough right now. I've fished twice this week. Spektacular tournament out if Bluffs Landing this weekend. Some if the best fisherman around half the teams never weighed a fish Sunday. 5 teams out if 15 never weighed a fish.

Well, it wasn't too hard to find them, it was just hard to find good fish. I was out last weekend and we caught probably 100 trout but none over 16".

I found them on a sandy shell bottom and an all mud bottom in about 5' of water.
                      Last edited by Reelthreat; 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                        My buddy who is a biologist for TPWD said they are preparing for a fish kill. Water is at 9c here on Sabine lake and fish start to die at 6-7c.
                        Wow! Hope that does occur.

Comment

ICW, canals, channels, deep water drains, and if it is sunny a mud flat.

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                            41' in Seadrift
                            40' in Matagorda Bay
                            42' in East Matagorda Bay

Lots of stunned turtles in the bay last week, loggerheads & kemps
                            The main culprit will be the wind, it's not gonna let up , it will keep mixing cold air into the water of the shallow bays, no relief from incoming tides either.
                            Deadly combo for marine life

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                              Well, it wasn't too hard to find them, it was just hard to find good fish. I was out last weekend and we caught probably 100 trout but none over 16".

I found them on a sandy shell bottom and an all mud bottom in about 5' of water.
                              Sandy shell bottom in 47 degree water, no wonder I didn't have much luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X