Welding Machine Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Machine Advice

I need a portable welding machine to fix minor things where I don't have 220 access or build some horse stalls in my barn. My barn is 36x86 and I do have 220 on one end but want something portable.

I would really like a Miller 211 and run it off of a generator. What size generator would I need to run a 211? I have talked to three different Miller dealers in Waco and they all tell me, " a Miller Bobcat will run it". Of course it will, if I had a Bobcat I wouldn't be asking!

It's my understanding that you would need a 7500 watt continuous to run on 230V and a 4000 watt continuous to run on 115 volts.

Comment

When looking at running a welding machine from a generator keep in mind that you will not normally be running at the max nameplate amperage of the welding machine. I have run my Lincoln Wirematic 255 from a 5500 watt generator. The only time I would expect to max out the current would be running aluminum with a spool gun.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
        When looking at running a welding machine from a generator keep in mind that you will not normally be running at the max nameplate amperage of the welding machine. I have run my Lincoln Wirematic 255 from a 5500 watt generator. The only time I would expect to max out the current would be running aluminum with a spool gun.
        Agreed, but it's the initial start up spike that kills the deal when running a welder off of a generator.

Comment

What about tuning a 211 off an extension cord? What size cord for 50' off of 110v or 220v

Comment

50 ft kind of far for 220 on a extension cord. I have a 12 gauge 20 ft extension cord in the shop I use for 220 without any issues. Might give miller a call and ask 220 at 50 ft, may not be a problem on 12 gauge but I would want to be sure.

Comment

vouch for this

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              It's my understanding that you would need a 7500 watt continuous to run on 230V and a 4000 watt continuous to run on 115 volts.
              Just asked Millermatic this exact question three days ago. 4000/7500 watts for 120/230 volts respectively is the minimum.

Comment

Hobart Handler 190 MIG with a 5500 watt would work on a shipping container ?
                I need to put in doors/windows framed with square tube.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                  Hobart Handler 190 MIG with a 5500 watt would work on a shipping container ?
                  I need to put in doors/windows framed with square tube.
                  That should work.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                    That should work.
                    any idea the gauge of most corten steel containers?

Comment

Miller 140 and a long heavy cord.

Comment

Originally posted by 45er View Post
                        Just asked Millermatic this exact question three days ago. 4000/7500 watts for 120/230 volts respectively is the minimum.

Is that the minimum to get the machine to weld reliably at the lowest setting or does that cover the entire range of what the machine can do (up to full blast)?

Comment

A little outside the box, but I have seen guys run 120v welders off one of these Dewalt power banks
                          Battery Operated Inverter - The Dewalt DCB1800 is a battery powered 1800 watt portable power station that is fueled by 4 Dewalt 20v or FlexVolt batteries. T...

230v is great...but are you really going to weld 3/8"+ metal? My fence guys who did my house run a 120v welder off a 100' extension cord off a house or a generator.

Comment

Another option and cheaper than the Miller is the Hobart 210 mvp, got a great deal on one through Blain's Farm and Fleet online.

Comment

You should be able to pick up a used bobcat or ranger pretty cheap, then you’ll have a backup generator as well

Comment

Working...
                              X