Survey - 1st Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survey - 1st Elk Hunt

I am green lighted to start preparing to go on an Elk Hunt. This will be my first elk hunt and wanted to get input on yall's favorite and best hunt.
    Which state would be the best to focus my research on and why?

Are you wanting guided or DIY public land

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am open to both guided and diy. That may be a broad answer, but would like to know what would be best for first experience. I am an experienced back country camper, so the diy is more up my alley but want to make sure I do things right so am not opposed to guided.

Comment

Do you have a budget in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go semi guided. They will drop you off at a fully stocked camp setup in area that has good elk herds. You pack gear and food and get dropped in by horseback. They will check on you halfway through the week and packout game for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bow or rifle?

Comment

No set budget in mind, but would be happy at $5-6000 or under

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              Do you have a budget in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bow

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Bow or rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
                  Bow
                  Montana. Availability of tags and healthy herd being the primary driver (Full disclosure, I really want to see a grizzly in the wild too, so I may be bias). Then Wyoming, then Colorado, then Idaho, simply because of tag availability, and a smaller number of hunters going to those states for OTC hunts.

Comment

I like it. Thanks! Any opinion on NM/CO vs up north?

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                    Go semi guided. They will drop you off at a fully stocked camp setup in area that has good elk herds. You pack gear and food and get dropped in by horseback. They will check on you halfway through the week and packout game for you.

Comment

On first trip I’d recommend a guided hunt with a good guide. Do your research. Watch and learn from the guide and then work into a DYI hunt. I’ve hunted elk in New Mexico, Montana and Colorado. I really liked Montana but had the best success in New Mexico.

Comment

Bias considered, haha. Thanks for feedback.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        Montana. Availability of tags and healthy herd being the primary driver (Full disclosure, I really want to see a grizzly in the wild too, so I may be bias). Then Wyoming, then Colorado, then Idaho, simply because of tag availability, and a smaller number of hunters going to those states for OTC hunts.

Comment

If you are looking for tips/tricks/suggestions, check out gohunt.com. They have a ton of free articles on where to look for OTC hunts. If you become a member, gohunt is an awesome place to find good units for OTC. Randy Newberg has a promo code on his podcast as well, you get $50 gift card to the gohunt store. They have really nice gear too. I have bought a lot off there.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/...eid=c375fd124c

Comment

Go with someone who has hunted elk before.

If that means a guide then so be it.

If you have the budget then it’s money well spent

Comment

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
                              I like it. Thanks! Any opinion on NM/CO vs up north?
                              Colorado has cut back on tags for the upcoming season so might want to look into Montana. Definately less pressure there.

Comment

Working...
                              X