Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
JANKEII
Four Point
 
JANKEII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Gatesville
Default CHL or not ?????

I use to have my chl for years (15 years ago I think).
Every time I took the class, I would get scared of what could happen if I pulled the trigger. Even if I was right about everything that happened. No matter what, I feel like I would have to go to court and defend myself. Or if I accidentally missed and hit someone else. I know it's impossible to try and not get in the situation. I try my best to not have it happen. I guess I'm scared either way...
Why do you have one or not have one? Maybe some comments will clear some thoughts.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
Coon
Ten Point
 
Coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Coon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
hully1029
Pope & Young
 
hully1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Collinsville, TX
Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke
Default

you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.
hully1029 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
breadman
Eight Point
 
breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: huntsville texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.
X2
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

I'd rather go to court than be dead...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
RShockley
Six Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

These thought are good to have if you are planning on carrying. They help keep you from making stupid decisions in regard to how you use your firearm. It is also what makes you better then those we carry to protect ourselves from. Make sound decision to help reduce the chances of ever having to worry about it. Yes you will end up in court even if it is clear self defense. Invest a small amount of money for Texas Law Shield and USCCA. Even in self defense court costs can be over 10K. The combonation of Texas Law Shield and USCCA will help cover costs and provide sound legal representation in the event you ever have to use your firearm.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
coker737
Ten Point
 
coker737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
Because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
This and Texas Law Shield
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
Hardcortex
Eight Point
 
Hardcortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Burleson
Hunt In: Limestone Co.
Default

I don't think anyone wants to pull the trigger (although I did read the thread about who has pulled their concealed weapon), but it is about being prepared to defend yourself and family. You should consider the what if's, it's about good judgement and the first thing taught in class - awareness. Be aware and try not to put yourself in the situation where you would need it, but if you find yourself there, be prepared and able to use your firearm to protect yourself.
Hardcortex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
Cantcatch5
Ten Point
 
Cantcatch5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

I have mine and carry much of the time. Honestly your thoughts are valid and good to have. There are plenty of people carrying who are itching to draw even if it isn’t needed...I read their posts way to often. People talk about shooting someone if they caught them steeling a bike or lawnmower. In my opinion shooting someone in self defense should be a last resort to save my life or someone else’s but having said that I have decided it Is something I am willing to do. If you aren’t willing to do it then carrying isn’t for you, and honestly I don’t think everyone is cut out to carry. Your mindset is better served to carry than someone who is going to whip out their gun because someone flipped them off and cut them off on the interstate!

Last edited by Cantcatch5; 04-21-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
wsteffen
Ten Point
 
wsteffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Humble, TX
Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
Because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coker737 View Post
This and Texas Law Shield
X2
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
tvc184
Pope & Young
 
tvc184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Golden Triangle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANKEII View Post
I use to have my chl for years (15 years ago I think).
Every time I took the class, I would get scared of what could happen if I pulled the trigger. Even if I was right about everything that happened. No matter what, I feel like I would have to go to court and defend myself. Or if I accidentally missed and hit someone else. I know it's impossible to try and not get in the situation. I try my best to not have it happen. I guess I'm scared either way...
Why do you have one or not have one? Maybe some comments will clear some thoughts.
Only from my experience in my county and at my city police department, the idea that if you pull the trigger (or some say just pull your gun) you are automatically heading to a trial is nonsense.

I have been to several fatal shootings where the shooter was never arrested. Some were even questionable in my opinion but an arrest was only made if it appeared to be a clear case if murder and there wasnít a good likelihood of self defense. I have been to plenty of other non-fatal incidents where arrests were never made. As far as I know (and being a detective on some of those cases) many of the cases were presented to the DA as likely self defense and the shooter never even hired a lawyer. They were simply no billed in front of the grand jury and in some cases the DA never even sent it there and just refused the case.

By some opinions that I have read, even if you point your gun at someone (which by the Penal Code could be a felony), be prepared to spend $20,000 defending yourself in front of the grand jury or a criminal jury. From my experience in my county, that is utter nonsense.

Texas laws are fairly wide-open on the use of self-defense. That is significant sometimes when comparing cases on advertisements that happened out of the state where the laws are completely different. There are horror stories that I and probably everyone else have seen. Someone will have a story where a man shot a crazed drug head breaking into his house at 3AM and had to defend himself for murder. I have been to those cases and in my experience they did not happen as descibed. If it happened then there is likely more to the story.

In my opinion it is 100% certain that if you ever have to use deadly force, you had better be mentally be prepared that you might have to defend yourself in court. It will be a possibility. So much depends on the circumstances and the location that you were in. It might be the prudent thing to do to have yourself some legal defense on standby such as the insurance programs being discussed in this thread or having an attorney on retainer.

The fear that if you are in a situation that you must defend yourself or your family and then if you do so you are automatically going to have to declare bankruptcy and go through an extensive legal defense is simply not true, in my opinion. Being prepared is smart but the likelihood of it happening in real life is more rare than is implied on the internet.... again, in my opinion.

I would not let my self defense or that of my family be dictated by something that is not likely to happen.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Only from my experience in my county and at my city police department, the idea that if you pull the trigger (or some say just pull your gun) you are automatically heading to a trial is nonsense.



I have been to several fatal shootings where the shooter was never arrested. Some were even questionable in my opinion but an arrest was only made if it appeared to be a clear case if murder and there wasnít a good likelihood of self defense. I have been to plenty of other non-fatal incidents where arrests were never made. As far as I know (and being a detective on some of those cases) many of the cases were presented to the DA as likely self defense and the shooter never even hired a lawyer. They were simply no billed in front of the grand jury and in some cases the DA never even sent it there and just refused the case.



By some opinions that I have read, even if you point your gun at someone (which by the Penal Code could be a felony), be prepared to spend $20,000 defending yourself in front of the grand jury or a criminal jury. From my experience in my county, that is utter nonsense.



Texas laws are fairly wide-open on the use of self-defense. That is significant sometimes when comparing cases on advertisements that happened out of the state where the laws are completely different. There are horror stories that I and probably everyone else have seen. Someone will have a story where a man shot a crazed drug head breaking into his house at 3AM and had to defend himself for murder. I have been to those cases and in my experience they did not happen as descibed. If it happened then there is likely more to the story.



In my opinion it is 100% certain that if you ever have to use deadly force, you had better be mentally be prepared that you might have to defend yourself in court. It will be a possibility. So much depends on the circumstances and the location that you were in. It might be the prudent thing to do to have yourself some legal defense on standby such as the insurance programs being discussed in this thread or having an attorney on retainer.



The fear that if you are in a situation that you must defend yourself or your family and then if you do so you are automatically going to have to declare bankruptcy and go through an extensive legal defense is simply not true, in my opinion. Being prepared is smart but the likelihood of it happening in real life is more rare than is implied on the internet.... again, in my opinion.



I would not let my self defense or that of my family be dictated by something that is not likely to happen.


Spot on as usual.

As a responsible person carrying a gun you SHOULD never want to have to shoot someone, but be prepared in case you ever do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default CHL or not ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.




While I do agree there is a portion of the LTC holders that are not experienced gun owners or shooters, Iím almost willing to bet that they donít carry very often if ever either.

I canít speak for all LTC instructors, but when my wife my daughter and I also took ours together the instructor only put one person on the range at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
PEC
Ten Point
 
PEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southeast Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.
And the Darwin Award goes to......
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
randal
Pope & Young
 
randal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Decatur
Hunt In: Crowell
Default

I don't have one, I keep one in my truck, and if I really feel like I need to carry I will.. that has happened probably 2 times in the last 10 years.. I think some people get the ltc and let it give them a false sense of security and they take more chances that are not needed such as "I can stop here and get gas I don't need to worry about anyone messing with me" instead of "I'll get gas once we get through south Dallas". Also I get stuff happens where you least expect it.. I would carry a lot more if I had one but just haven't done it.. my wife and I were talking last week about getting it this summer..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
randal
Pope & Young
 
randal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Decatur
Hunt In: Crowell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.
Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
MisterB
Six Point
 
MisterB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Default Chl

As that old saying goes, ďif you donít have a gun when you need one, you may never need one againĒ. The fact that you worry about having to go to court tells me you would be a responsible CHL carrier. But if you are confronted by a knife yielding character at a gas station late at night, just him knowing you wonít put with his BS,because he sees you reach behind your back, might mean you wonít spend the next few weeks recovering from surgery or worse. A friend experienced this. He reached his hand behind his back and told the approaching assailant, ďyou donít want to do this.Ē The guy turned and ran.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
Bro. Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bro. Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cypress Texas
Hunt In: Hill country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hully1029 View Post
you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.
Amen!!
Bro. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post


While I do agree there is a portion of the LTC holders that are not experienced gun owners or shooters, I’m almost willing to bet that they don’t carry very often if ever either.

I can’t speak for all LTC instructors, but when my wife my daughter and I also took ours together the instructor only put one person on the range at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here it's not the same. You line up and shoot 50 rounds at a piece of plywood with tires behind it. I know several people that have got theirs and I've heard stories of people pulling the trigger and hitting the ground right in front of them,a man that had to pull the slide back for his wife and people that couldn't even hit the plywood. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be carrying guns that do. The funny thing is the majority of people that I know with a CHL have been around guns their whole life and rarely carry one. Let me clarify I don't carry a gun but I do have access to one if I'm traveling which is what the majority of CHL holders that I know have one for. I'm not gonna pull a gun on someone for yelling at me or getting mad at me while I'm driving or whatever reasons people tend to pull a gun on other people for. There was a thread about this the other day and most of the stories told about pulling a gun on someone could have been resolved in other ways. To me that's stupid but we all have our own opinions.

I also think it's absurd that you have to get a card that says you're allowed to protect your life or the lives of people around you or that you're qualified to safely carry a gun by shooting 50 holes in a sheet of plywood.

Last edited by okrattler; 04-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #21
JANKEII
Four Point
 
JANKEII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Gatesville
Default

Thank ya'll for the honest opinions.
I understand the 1% time something might happen, and I should be ready. Also, the comfort of having one.
I also feel it's who has the best lawyer. Whether it be in business or murder. You can have your T's crossed and your I's dotted. I can feel and know I did everything correctly in the situation. It all comes down to the jury. I have been in lawsuits about business where the law states I was right, but the jury thought other( will not elaborate on this, but see it a lot in the business world). This is probably the main reason I don't carry, but I would like to.
As I get older I try to pride myself on my awareness, but nobody is perfect. I might not be be book smart, but I've always been street smart. I feel this goes along way.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #22
coachk
Associate Sponsor
 
coachk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Henrietta, TX
Hunt In: Clay Co
Default

I have one and carry everywhere I'm allowed because I have 2 daughters and a wife that I have pledged to protect to the best of my ability
coachk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #23
JFISHER
Pope & Young
 
JFISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brownwood
Hunt In: BWD
Default

https://www.weaselzippers.us/382486-...alking-points/
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #24
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

Iíll spend life in prison to keep my family safe...no brainer for me


- I donít chase dreams, I HUNT goals
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #25
bowtecmike
Ten Point
 
bowtecmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shallowater,tx
Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
I have one and carry everywhere I'm allowed because I have 2 daughters and a wife that I have pledged to protect to the best of my ability
amen
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Jason
Eight Point
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County
Default

I got mine thinking “just in case” never intending to carry much, if ever. I find that I carry more and more these days.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #27
clinthwt
Eight Point
 
clinthwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Markham tx
Hunt In: Louisiana,Etoile tx, cuero tx, Kent tx,
Default

I too carry more now, with all that has happened. My son goes off to college this year, he will be 19 in June. He already has planned to get his LTC when he gets 21. Most of us don't carry to "have a gun". IMO I believe we carry in the event we need to protect those we love and care about.
clinthwt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Razrbk89
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NE Arkansas
Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas
Default

I don’t have a CHL. My wife has taken the class but I’ve never known her to carry her gun.

I don’t find myself in too many threatening situations. Not saying it couldn’t ever happen, but I don’t worry too much about it.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
Diamond S
Ten Point
 
Diamond S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Caldwell, Texas
Default

I carry every day, even at home. But here is my take as others have said. I am aware at all times of what is going on around me to the best of my ability and if I see something that my gut says is not right I put distance between myself and the problem if possible.

Prime example, the wife and I are eating at a restaurant, we are just finishing up when in walks this unkept guy that just looks to me to be strung out and just all around bad news. A quick glance at him and I can see he has a pistol in his front pocket ( he was printing really bad ) I told the wife we need to leave now and we did. I could have stayed around and waited to see what if anything happened, but i decided to avoid any conflict. He could have been a really nice guy who had a rough night, or he could have been a whack job that was about to start shooting, I don't know, but when the " gut feeling " said leave I did just that.

I have no desire to pull my weapon and it will be a last resort if I ever do.
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #30
Capt.Brown
Ten Point
 
Capt.Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Burnet
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Waffle House in Nashville this morn, if someone would have had a gun they possibly could have saved several people, I’m carrying.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #31
Coup de Grace
Pope & Young
 
Coup de Grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Willis Texas
Hunt In: Trophy Hunting.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
I have one and carry everywhere I'm allowed because I have 2 daughters and a wife that I have pledged to protect to the best of my ability
Coup de Grace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #32
Pullersboy
Pope & Young
 
Pullersboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Weatherford
Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon View Post
Because it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Bam! This is exactly the phrase that came to mind when I read the OP's post.

Sure, OP, it's going to be a HUGE hassle and an expensive one if you don't have an insurance policy that covers this sort of thing. But, is that better than being dead? Or, worse yet, living with the fact that you could have stopped someone else from dying but weren't prepared to do so?
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #33
sandbill
Six Point
 
sandbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Benbrook, TX
Hunt In: Montague County
Default

I've had the CHL since they became available to us, back in the 90's. Felt more like a cool novelty then. Now, I carry pretty regularly. Don't want me or my lady to be totally unprepared victims. And, I'm willing to help others avoid becoming victims. Dicey world out there, unfortunately.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #34
brokeno
Ten Point
 
brokeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Smiley, Texas
Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere
Default

Protect your family and yourself. Too many strung out drug head crazies out there. Period. Judged by 12 or carried by 6. Agree.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com