Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeW_Conroe View Post
    Hi,

Anyone ever hunted Unit 14? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sitting in Unit 14 right now
    Will let you know how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Freight Mover,
      Thanks so much for responding. Looking forward to any information you can provide.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on 11, doeboy11

Comment

Freight Mover,

Thanks so much for responding. Looking forward to any information you can provide.

Unit 14 is a good spot
          You will be the only hunter. You have a nice tower blind that has shots over 200 yds

There is a creek bed just over a 100 yards that the deer travel. There is a small area where you can see the deer crossing so you need to be scanning with your binoculars.

The first first night I shot at a nice 8 pt at 100 yds and missed with my 30/30. The next morning I shot at the same deer twice at 150 yards and missed again

Sun morning I took my 243 and shot a 5 point 10 min after legal shooting. It would have been an 8 point but his antlers were broken. 10 min later the nice buck I had been after came out

I only saw bucks, no does or pigs

You are only allowed 1 multi point buck 3 pts or greater

Good luck

Comment

I really appreciate the information especially about the 30/30 and blind. I had planned on hunting with an older 30.06 but think will leave this home and take my .270 instead. Sounds like the unit has good activity. I will drop you a note next week and let you know how I did.

Comment

I really appreciate the information especially about the 30/30 and blind. I had planned on hunting with an older 30.06 but think will leave this home and take my .270 instead. Sounds like the unit has good activity. I will drop you a note next week and let you know how I did.

Good luck in your hunt
              Send me a message if you have any other questions

Comment

Balcones Unit 14 question

Freight Mover. Quick question. If you are standing at bottom of stairs to blind, looking up at door is the creek bed you refer to to your left or right ? If I look right I see a creek bed about 150 straight ahead bordered by a large dead oak and couple other bushes. If I look left I see the start of a creek bed which runs about 150 yards to a grove of trees, there is a large burned mesquite about 60 yards. Which creek bed did you see the deer while you were here ? Thanks, mike

Comment

Unit 8 has been pretty quiet so far. I've not heard any shots and the one other hunter I've spoken with said they had not seen anything. My father and I have seen some doe / fawn activity on trail cam the last two nights but no bucks yet. Things picked up for us late Saturday as we saw a hog come out of the brush and a doe walked near our blind a few minutes before shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                    @texmet, I didn't have much hunting experience at that time, so I didn't setup "right". If I hunt there today, I would have much more chances.

I mainly stay around parking spot, about 100-150 yards. The deer I saw and "felt" were from east side of spot A. Even, I found lots of bedding areas on the open. I sit at one of deer bedding (so stupid) I did check the northwest by cross a fence, but it had very dense cedar, no good lane for shooting. I did find a stool in a bunch of cedar tree about 100 yards from parking, which left by another hunter, they also focused on east side of spot A. There were wood connected to the open area.

When you say you found "stool" "left by another hunter".......what exactly do you mean?

Comment

Freight Mover. Quick question. If you are standing at bottom of stairs to blind, looking up at door is the creek bed you refer to to your left or right ? If I look right I see a creek bed about 150 straight ahead bordered by a large dead oak and couple other bushes. If I look left I see the start of a creek bed which runs about 150 yards to a grove of trees, there is a large burned mesquite about 60 yards. Which creek bed did you see the deer while you were here ? Thanks, mike
                      Sorry just seeing this

It would be to the right.

If you are sitting in the stand facing the door and look to the field to your left the creek is about 120 yards out. The low part you can see them crossing will be to the far right of that field just a the tree line

Comment

Hi. I appreciate you responding. Over the three days I only saw one doe (no bucks , no pigs) , which I killed at about 85 yard by the grove of trees to the right of the blind.

Comment

Me and my brother hunted unit 7 on cones E and F. We didn't see anything from the blind but saw a Doe near F and we saw two hogs south of E. I got a Jake along the back fence at F.

Comment

Working...
                          X