No announcement yet.

Diy 2x72 grinder build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've had to do sone over haling of my grinder I'll post s I me pics when I get all the stuff in. Here is a list of the stuff I ordered and where I ordered from.
    standard platen mount, platen, and brackets from polarbearforge.Com
    Platten with glass, 2 wheels, and two arms from knifegrinderparts.Com
    platen chiller from Nathan the machines on bladeforms.

I also got rid of the spring in the back and put in a strut. I've got to get it welded up and I'll be good

I'm also at some point going to order a dd work rest and jig.

This got expensive quick.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
      I was going to but since on is a 3hp and one is a 2hp so I couldn't do it.
      You can run a 2HP and a 3HP off the same VFD. You can't run a 2PH and 3PH off the same VFD. Confused yet?

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
      This got expensive quick.
      Yep, that's how it goes, but you'll have a sweet grinder when you're done.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Like Christmas at my house today. Now I have to find a machinest who will open a couple wholes and thread them.

Comment

Got some stuff mounted today. Then I finally figured out what my wobble was. Unfortunately it is my motor so I've got to get it repaired or find a new one

Comment

I built my own but I need to upgrade to a vfd controller

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie0959 View Post
                I built my own but I need to upgrade to a vfd controller
                Here is the best place I have found for VFD's
                AC and DC motor drives from big to small applications. KB accessories such as resistors, fuses, forward-brake-reverse switch, etc. are also sold in our store.

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    Here is the best place I have found for VFD's
                    https://indsencon.com/collections/kb...ronic-products
                    Thanks. I am looking at upgrading the motor size as well are you running 120 or 240?

Comment

Have you tried these guys? Located in Dallas.
                      You can put single phase in a vfd and get three phase out, you must use a slightly larger (hp wise) vfd. The drive company can help with this. If anyone needs a 2hp 1750rpm motor (230/460v 3Ph), I have one that just needs bearings. Probably $25 bucks and a little time to replace them. I think is has a 3/4" shaft.

I have gotten several vfd's from them, for use on pumps and fans. They sell a hitachi that is inexpensive, you can use a potentiometer for speed control.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie0959 View Post
                        Thanks. I am looking at upgrading the motor size as well are you running 120 or 240?
                        I run 120 input and 230/3ph output. Forward and reverse switch. Only time I ever use reverse is for grinding the cutting edge bevel. If I ever jump to a 2hp motor I will rewire for 220v input. My VFD will handle up to 2hp. So far I haven't ever needed any more power than a 1hp gives me and most of my grinding is at 30 to 60% speed anyway.

FYI, the KB comes with very good and easy to follow wiring instructions

Comment

I'd like to do something similar

Comment

Exciting times. I don't know how grinder makers make any money. I got curious one time and started looking around at all the parts I'd need to make a grinder, and it came up to almost would I could've bought a grinder for.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X