Need to get a stripped bolt out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to get a stripped bolt out

My grandfather gave me an old Massachusetts arms 410 shotgun when I went to see him in Arkansas earlier this year. He taught both his sons and me and my brother how to shot with it and we plan on passing it on to my boy. Im trying to get it all cleaned up and the last bolt I need to get out is stripped. I don't want to strip it any further so I haven't tried to get it out but once after soaking it in kroil oil for a day. What would be the best way to get this out? Or should I take it to a gunsmith?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Roman AB; 08-26-2018, 12:19 PM.

Penetrating oil and Impact driver or a gunsmith

Comment

I soaked it in Kroil oil for a day but it didn't seem to help. Can it be removed without damaging it?

Comment

Soldering iron and penetrating oil works well. Make sure you are using a screw driver that fits very tight.

Comment

No help, but that’s super cool getting your grandpas shotgun.

Comment

Impact driver
            Attached Files

Comment

Is it’s special to you, take it to a smith. That screw needs t be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Impact driver
                Where did you get that from. A quick google search and I didn’t see anything. Is that for air tools?

Comment

Think I got it at Harbor Freight. Its not an air tool. It has an internal cam, on or off, put the bit in the screw and turn it the way you want to go. Take a.firm grip and whack it with a hammer..Proper name is hammer impact driver.

Comment

Thanks. Just pulled into harbor freight

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                      Where did you get that from. A quick google search and I didn’t see anything. Is that for air tools?
                      I have the Proto Set...p/n J7099A

Comment

Get a heavy hammer too.....

Comment

I got it out. Caused a little more damage though. I’m gonna try to find a new one but odds are I won’t. I’m wondering if I could get a machinist to heliarc the top of the screw to fill in the damage and then have them cut a new slot.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                            I got it out. Caused a little more damage though. I’m gonna try to find a new one but odds are I won’t. I’m wondering if I could get a machinist to heliarc the top of the screw to fill in the damage and then have them cut a new slot.

Might try numrich and see if you can order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. I will contact them. Never heard of them

Comment

Working...
                              X