No announcement yet.

A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else in Polk/Trinity/Tyler/Houston counties seeing any birds on game cameras?

Comment

I’ve seen a few hanging out on the side of the road close to Palestine were I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        Anyone else in Polk/Trinity/Tyler/Houston counties seeing any birds on game cameras?
        I'm going to get several cameras out this year where I think they are bedding down. Anyone have suggestions of places to scout or where to place cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
          I'm going to get several cameras out this year where I think they are bedding down. Anyone have suggestions of places to scout or where to place cameras?
          I would not think you would have to overthink it.. if you have a feeder, they will visit it.

Comment

Makes sense. I always have a camera on my feeder but haven't got any pics. I guess we will see this year.

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
              Makes sense. I always have a camera on my feeder but haven't got any pics. I guess we will see this year.
              I am always looking on my pulls for Turkey. None yet in 12 years of owning place. All I get are deer and hogs. If I I ever have turkey I would build fence around feeder to keep rooters away.

Comment

Fannin Co. Seems to be a good hatch. They say the drier the weather in May/June the more successful Easterns are at bringing off a brood.
                Attached Files

Comment

This map shows NWTF activities in East Texas since 2015. I count 12 Superstockings of 80 birds each at a cost of about $500 per bird. Good to see the money being put to use in Texas!!

Montgomery County Tx NWTF. 329 likes. We are a group of individuals that started an NWTF Chapter in Montgomery County Tx., 3 years ago. Please reach out to us if you have a desire to participate. We...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Some of those you're seeing near Palestine are probably from the 2007 super stocking site in southeast Anderson county. Over the past 10 years birds from that site have been increasing in number and spreading abroad.

Since then there's been 5 more super stocking sites throughout Anderson county and on the Anderson/Henderson and Anderson/Cherokee lines. We're currently working on another site on the northern Anderson/Cherokee line.

People are already reporting birds where they've not been seen in Anderson, Cherokee and Henderson counties in years. It's exciting to see more birds in east Texas, and the interest and participation level of landowners increase. I hope to see more and more landowners come together and improve their habitat and organize more co-ops for turkey releases.

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                    I’ve seen a few hanging out on the side of the road close to Palestine were I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      Paul... I know that area well . I personally have seen a flock of 25 on the south side of 287 right at the Trinity/Polk County line. without mentioning the club in which these birds reside on they have had turkey for many many many years and I sometimes wonder if these were stock birds if this was a group of birds from many many many years ago . In that immediate area there has never been stocking but then again it’s not that far from where you are talking about .
                      I think the birds in eastern Trinity County / northwest Polk County have been around since at least the early ‘90’s or earlier. When Champion Intl owned Brushy Creek they had an executive lodge there. I’m told the state actually trapped some of their eastern birds in the early ‘90’s to relocate to other parts of east Texas. I believe this was all done before the Super Stocking program. As you stated Anvilhead, the turkeys in that area appear to be the result of a much earlier stocking- if not remnants of the original population.

Comment

We have some in Newton County, I have heard them, and seen their sign but havent laid eyes on them.

Comment

For a minute I thought Ragin was back.....

In the 70's there were turkeys in the NW part of Sam Houston Forest, off FM1791. I would see them in the spring/ summer. Keep up the good work!

Comment

We have a ton of turkeys on our lease near Colmesneil.

Comment

Nwtf banquet this Saturday night in Jasper

Comment

Heard Turkeys on my Polk County lease yesterday. Didn't see any deer but just hearing those birds was worth the trip!!!

THANK YOU to all of you who support the NWTF and restocking programs!!

Comment

Working...
                                X