My cedar chest build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cedar chest build

Started building my wife a cedar chest for our anniversary today. I didn't get it finished in time but I let her look at it and she loves it so far.
    This served two purposes, 1. Give her a gift and 2. let me brush up on some needed skills.

The build is 44" long by 24" wide by 34" tall. The cedar for this was from trees that I cut and brought to the mill. The frame is Red oak that I bought. I really wanted to make it completely out of cedar but by the time I finished running all the boards through the planner the cedar was only 1/2" thick and I was concerned it wouldn't be sturdy enough to stand the test of time.

The cedar is all tongue and grooved, all but the middle rails on the oak frame is mortis and tennen jointed, I then put the 4 sides together with a bisquit joint.
    Attached Files

That's gonna be Purdy! Great work by the way!

Comment

Looking good! It looks like you have all the technical stuff down. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Comment

love the grain in the Cedar. do you know what you're going to finish it with?

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
          love the grain in the Cedar. do you know what you're going to finish it with?
          I wanted to use a teak oil on the outside of the cedar but don't want it to collect dust. So I'm going to stain the oak and use a low luster poly on the outside of the cedar and leave the inside untreated so it allows the cedar smell to come through.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
            I wanted to use a teak oil on the outside of the cedar but don't want it to collect dust. So I'm going to stain the oak and use a low luster poly on the outside of the cedar and leave the inside untreated so it allows the cedar smell to come through.
            Just a thought, but you might try picking up some food grade cutting board oil and sample that on a piece of scrap to see if that gets you what you are looking for. Should soak into the wood and give it some protection without leaving a film. We use it on the cutting boards we make and it darkens the wood up some and makes it look nice without giving it a sheen.

Comment

Thanks nailhead, ill give it a try

Comment

Looks good. Good looking shop too.

Comment

Here is a couple examples for reference. Before and after they are oiled. The one with them all on the table they are still a little "wet" but they are pretty much dry to the touch. Once you let it dry for a few hours you can wipe over it with a rag to take off any excess that didn't soak in.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                    Looks good. Good looking shop too.
                    Thanks brother

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
                      Here is a couple examples for reference. Before and after they are oiled. The one with them all on the table they are still a little "wet" but they are pretty much dry to the touch. Once you let it dry for a few hours you can wipe over it with a rag to take off any excess that didn't soak in.
                      Awesome work on those cutting boards.

Comment

Good looking cedar chest, the wife ought to be real happy with that. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Not a lot of progress this weekend , friggin heat wave is about to kill me out in the barn, 118 degrees inside the barn today.
                          Got everything sanded on the frame. Cut and glued the panel that got destroyed and started putting the lid together.
                          I also cut the legs down to my liking. Just put the first coat of stain on and letting it dry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks real good!

Comment

Frame looks awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X