Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hmmm...should I just mind my own business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm...should I just mind my own business?

OK...

Background is that I pay health care insurance 100% for not only my employees, but their families...

A couple of weeks ago one of my guys (a welder) cam in and told me he had had a big fight with his high school age daughter, he was kicking her out and disowning her, and for me to take her off our insurance.

I didn't do it and was hoping he would come back to me in a day or two and tell me he had changed his mind. He hasn't.

I really want to talk to him about this decision before I cancel her insurance. I am older than he is and have successfully raised two teenagers to productive adulthood and know how crazy they can make you at the time, but he is a very hard headed and opinionated guy...typical welder LOL...

Should I just mind my business or try to talk to him?

I guess since you're paying for the insurance, its going to be your call. You're a heck-of-a employer cosmiccowboy. If she doesn't live under his roof anymore, then my guess is that you can take her off the insurance.

Comment

You're a good dude my friend, have any job openings?

Comment

you might want to just ask if things have changed. not really butting in, but just a good employer/employee relationship. sounds like yo do a lot for your employees, and this would just strengthen the relationship you have with them, by making sure their families are happy too. Good Luck with this situation.

Comment

Like they said if you are paying it your purogative. I wish I could afford all my employees families. I can only afford employee only. You are a good man no doubt.

Comment

I believe that i would talk to him now that he has probably cooled off. Maybe he went into detail with you about the fight so you know the situation, if he didnt she may need the insurance now more than ever. In the end it is your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
              I guess since you're paying for the insurance, its going to be your call. You're a heck-of-a employer cosmiccowboy. If she doesn't live under his roof anymore, then my guess is that you can take her off the insurance.
              Oh, I wasn't worried about the legal issue. I would just have to get a form for him to sign taking her off the insurance.

I don't know what she did to get him riled up, but kicking her out at 17 is pretty extreme. It's a situation that is almost doomed to a bad outcome for the girl. Teenagers CAN drive you crazy and I guess I want to ask him if there is any possibility of compromise and reconciliation for both of their sake.

Comment

As his employer, and I would assume friend, he involved you when he told you to take her off his insurance.

My advice is that you should have a good sit down talk with him. Share your knowledge. If that doesn't help, there's not much more you can do.

Comment

I would'nt do it unless he follows up on his request. If he does follow up, make sure you have written documentation from him requesting this and keep it filed away in a safe place.

Comment

as previously said, you sure are a great employer. if he is also a friend and not just an employee, which it sounds like he is a friend, i would give a few weeks. let him cool down and bring it up again. just my .02

Comment

EDIT: I cannot type as fast as everyone else. I just echoed everyone else.
                      Last edited by Txngent; 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Wow, that is a tough deal CC. I know I give you some crap on here but I have always known you are a standup guy and this just reaffirms it.

I would level with the guy and share your experiences in raising girls...

Comment

I wouldnt do anything else unless he pushes the issue. The reason I say that is, if something were to happen to her he would feel his parental sense of responsibility and could potientially have thousands of dollars of medical bills. I hope that nothing does happen, but it seems like the chances of it will increase now.

Comment

Definitely have the letter typed out or written out from him explaining that he wants the daughter taken off of the insurance.

Two reasons, of course there is the first reason based on good business practices just to make sure that HE remembers that HE requested this change. Second and prob the better, to make sure that he realizes this request has repurcussions and is for real. That she will be leaving his umbrella of responsibility and protection.

You might ask if there is anything you can provide assistance with, but I would be careful getting into social work and counseling with this employee's family issues. Offering assistance is a lot easier than providing assistance, of course providing assistance is what is REALLY important. If there is a situation that involves moral and ethical perspectives this could get messy and have lasting yuck.

Might be better to know the problem, provide moral support and stay out of it. Let them work through it and provide assistance anonymously if it is required.

As stated it might have blown over by now... or it might have been the latest in a series of blow-ups that have been or never will be resolved.

Don't know what my solicited advice is worth? Only to say that I am a social worker with an awareness of an administrative perspective.
                            Last edited by Bobcat; 12-03-2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

ok... what insurance are you buying for them and how much does it cost... I might be interested in some affordable employee insurance for 4 employees.

Comment

Working...
                              X