Knife maker question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife maker question.....

So yesterday I'm at the TTHA show. I love looking, getting ideas and taking my boy so he can soak it all up. I saw several knife makers at the show, some beautiful knives.

Most of the knives were Damaskas (sp?).... I'm just gonna put it out there.
    The white guys knives were beautiful and were $125 and up, I found one I liked it was $225.
    There was a couple of Indian guys there and the knives were at LEAST 40% less for what they were saying was the same Damaskas steel.

They didn't have as many different style knife handles, but he did have as many different types of knives and they looked very nice.

Talk to me.....

ttt

Comment

Damascus from overseas is suspect because you can't guarantee that it was made using good BLADE steel. From what I have read those guys over there will use any scrap steel they can get so you may have a blade that has soft steel in it or you may not. Heat treat seems to be another area where overseas damascus blades have lacked consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
        Damascus from overseas is suspect because you can't guarantee that it was made using good BLADE steel. From what I have read those guys over there will use any scrap steel they can get so you may have a blade that has soft steel in it or you may not. Heat treat seems to be another area where overseas damascus blades have lacked consistency.
        Absolutely,
        The Damascus billets that I buy to make my blades from are made right here in the USA and I know exactly what steels are used in their forging process. There is now way that I'd use the foreign stuff. Heck it may be made from tin cans for all I know but I do know it's normally very low quality.

Comment

Simply put USA Damascus/ premium Damascus $120-$400 billet

Pakistani/ Middle East - $20-$40 billet

Comment

Pakimascus as we call it has the carbon cooked out of it and will not hold an edge for any length of time. They are made from Chinese sea crates in sweat shops and are most often brought in without the required makers mark.

Comment

So how can someone like me tell the difference ???

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                So how can someone like me tell the difference ???
                Good Damascus is expensive when you see a damascus knife that is cheap 9 times out of 10 its Pakistani steel. Cheap is a relative term I guess but research the maker. Most makers have a web presence of some sort. If a knifemaker is trying to make a name for himself or wants to continue making knives won't be using bad steel.
                I'm sure there has been good batches of steel come from there but its too big or miss. I like to know what I'm getting every time. Whether I'm buying Damascus or when I make my own I will know what steels it consist of.l
                Last edited by doublearrow; 08-02-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X