No announcement yet.

Cabin Build - The Catfish Shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving along.... We went up with more of the walls this weekend. Only about two more rows to go up, and we will have them complete. We should have that taken care of pretty early next Saturday.

Once we get the walls to height, a divider wall will be built to separate the front room from the bed room. Once the wall is in place and we set our top plate, we have two "LVLs" to span the front room. We can then move on to ceiling joists and rafters.

Overall, it was an awesome weekend to get some work done, as the weather was perfect.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm loving this build!!

Please educate me on the following:

1. Are those cinder blocks really stable? Part of me pictures the house moving a few feet one direction and then falling down a few feet.

2. How did you level the floor on those cinder blocks?

3. What are the dimensions of this place?

4. What do you project the ballpark total cost of materials to be?

Building a cabin will be in the works for me over the next few years and I'm trying to assimilate as much knowledge as possible on the topic.

Thanks in advance, and great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
        I'm loving this build!!

Please educate me on the following:

1. Are those cinder blocks really stable? Part of me pictures the house moving a few feet one direction and then falling down a few feet.

2. How did you level the floor on those cinder blocks?

3. What are the dimensions of this place?

4. What do you project the ballpark total cost of materials to be?

Building a cabin will be in the works for me over the next few years and I'm trying to assimilate as much knowledge as possible on the topic.

Thanks in advance, and great work!
        Glad you are enjoying the build. I am having a great time out there putting it all together.

1. The cinder blocks are very stable, and are placed on very solid ground. Running on top of three rows of the cinder blocks, we have big creosote beams that run the entire length of the building from rear to front. When I walk in there, nothing gives at all. I don't foresee the building moving at all - It is quite heavy.

2. We initially "eyeballed" them with string lines after we squared it by getting our measurements off of the corners. Once we got them somewhat level, we laid our bottom sill, then shimmed them up with cedar shingles where necessary. Once we had the outer blocks up to level, we were able to do the same with the middle ones when we started going in with the floor joists.

3. Dimensions: Width is 20 feet. Total length is 33 feet. We did a bedroom that is 11.5 ft, the front room is 15.5 and the porch is 6.

4. Ball park turnkey cost is 5k to 5.5k.
        Last edited by bobc; 11-04-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

That's cool

Comment

coming along nicely. keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by devildogcummins View Post
              That's cool
              Originally posted by Reaper33 View Post
              coming along nicely. keep up the good work
              Thanks fellas!

Comment

very cool build

Comment

Originally posted by Phi Phi Hunter View Post
                  very cool build
                  Thank ya!

Comment

Looking awesome. Nothing like doing a little project like this with family.

Comment

Looking good - Keep the pics coming

Comment

Excellent project and well done! I am also interested in more details due to the fact that I will be starting a similar project in a few years. Your approach to the project with materials and cost managements awesome....Great job. How did you search out for your recycled materials?

Comment

Most of the used material came from houses, barns, and such that we dismantled. Some from garage sales.

Comment

Really taking shape Bob! Can't wait for the open house.

Comment

Wow, coming along really nice. I love the boards your using on that outer wall, nice and thick.

Comment

so whats the most recent status update?
                                gonna be dried in by the time i i get home for XMAS?

Comment

Working...
                                X