Your shot process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your shot process

I am having a hard time with getting my pin on target and pulling the trigger. If its close i shoot. I got to work on taking my time. I know ill never have it perfectly still but i know i gotta take my time too.

So, whats yalls process. I been trying to count to like 5 before i shoot after i put pin on target.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same issue... a week ago. Bought a silverback and it’s already helped me tremendously. Rapidly losing my itch to slam the trigger when my pin gets close to the bullseye. Any back tension release will help you

Comment

Draw

Aim

Squeeeeeze

Comment

Subscribed

Not this cowboy...

Comment

I am (as is my Canadian buddy) struggling with it as well too. Too many recent years of shooting and when I restarted, I have the "yips". Three tips that is help me (I am still not 100% cured). This is more in my head than it is physical.

1) Practice drawing 5-10 times daily without even having an arrow on the target. Lock in on your target and just hold it, never dry firing/ release. Let down and do it again a few times each day

2) I use to draw and immediately put my hand in front of my trigger. I would settled then slowly release. Now that I am more apt to punch the trigger, I find keeping my finger behind the trigger until I have comfortably locked solid on my target. I am then more set when I slide my finger over and resettle before shooting.

3) I changed releases and found it fitter tighter (don't know why) also helped.
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Aj the TP guru has what you need!
            It’s in your brain, and is a nightmare

I’m all cured now, and have been for years since his audio. I had nothing to loose

Comment

I am, by NO means, an expert. I'm still pretty new at this. However, I suffered from the same problem when getting started. Other than a lot of range time, the one thing that has really helped is to not put my finger in front of the trigger until I am ready to pull. I will draw, get my sight picture, and then consciously make the decision to go into "fire mode". Once I'm there, I focus on my back muscles and not my trigger finger.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                I am having a hard time with getting my pin on target and pulling the trigger. If its close i shoot. I got to work on taking my time. I know ill never have it perfectly still but i know i gotta take my time too.

So, whats yalls process. I been trying to count to like 5 before i shoot after i put pin on target.

Thx

Try not to concentrate on your pin, but rather concentrate on picking a very small spot on your target. Look through the pin to the spot and settle the pin over the spot.

Comment

I don't look at the pin I look through the peep and through the sight housing concentrate on the spot you want to hit and slowly squeeze off the shot. It takes your mind off the release (it does me anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    Aj the TP guru has what you need!
                    It’s in your brain, and is a nightmare

I’m all cured now, and have been for years since his audio. I had nothing to loose
                    i lost my disc

Comment

I've struggled with this in the past. The way I cured it was to bring my sight up from the bottom of the target and settle the pin where I want it with my finger behind the release trigger. I practiced this and holding my pin for 3 to 5 seconds, and then moving my finger to the front to actually shoot, hold breath and release. After doing this a while, it seems to go away. If it comes back, I go through it again. I have this problem more with shooting targets than live animals, it seems.

Comment

It’s all mental. Just keeping working at it. Also maybe try a hinge for practice.

Comment

First, it is not about a specific amount of time

Draw, settle and loose. Is the basic process. You will obviously notice that you cannot get rid of all the wobble, so you have to learn what is an acceptable amount of wobble and what is too much. If you try to hold on target for more than a few seconds then the wobble will get worse, not better. You will need to let down and start over. I know this is not always doable in a stand, so while keeping your bow at full draw you can raise your head and resettle a bit. Not as good as redrawing, but better than trying to power through the shakes.

Also work on follow through and not collapsing at the shot. That will generally go a long way. Punching the trigger is not as big a deal as people think, but not following through when you punch the trigger is huge.

Comment

It's kind of like golf for me. A step-by-step process. Feet squared, pull, straight back, anchor, loosen front grip, breathe, aim, contract back/pull bow apart, squeeze slow (try and surprise myself), straight pull through after release/let bow rotate. It's a process in golf my instructor taught us and pretty much applies here too. After a while it becomes more instinctual. It's just working through it and getting to that point with good form and finding what works for you and your equipment.
                            Don't beat yourself up but I do find that if I blow a shot it's usually because I was holding my breath (#1 issue for me or real tight breathing) or I forgot to do something like death gripping the bow or not following through.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                              It’s all mental. Just keeping working at it. Also maybe try a hinge for practice.

I wouldn’t recommend a hinge just for the simple fact that you can manipulate it to shoot when you want. A back tension forces you to pull through the shot. Try and rip through a back tension, good chance you won’t ever see that arrow again.

I had trouble with my form breaking down after a few shots and this release is helping me stop that. I’ve been shooting my back tension for just training purposes and now when I go back to my thumb trigger I have little to no anticipation of the shot. I can just pull through and I’m probably more accurate now than ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X