2WD or 4WD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4WD here too.

It's like snake boots. Would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Comment

Originally posted by meat>horns View Post
      I think a side by side or a 4wheeler is a lot better for bouncing around in a field. Why tear up your street truck. Whats gonna kill your resale value is the body damage from smacking a rock or a tree. If your ranching thats a different situation my ranch truck saw a lot of off road use, it was a 4x4 duramax. That being said a lot of ranchers haul cattle with 2wd drive because transfer cases are expensive when they break and if its muddy don't go back there!! I hope theres not some poor kid out there that thinks he has to have a four wheel drive truck after reading this thread. Four wheel drives are expensive and if you cant afford it dont worry about it, in Texas you can get away without it. Just be smart about where you take your vehicle.
      You must have never been a rancher or done much exploring..... Go to a sale barn and tell me how many 4wd vs. 2wd trucks you see LOL. Time is money and sometime you need just a little extra traction that 4wd offers to get moving, even on hard packed grass/ground. Un-level ground is even more of an issue. People that say, "4wd just gets you stuck further" might be able to apply that at a mud bog, but in real life, 4wd is a necessity in many aspects. Just today, I had to drive down a power line ROW to inspect a downed tree. Sure, I could have walked. But thankfulky I had put the truck in 4wd before I left the pavement because it saved me 30 minutes it would have taken to walk it. That's 30 minutes I can spend on the crapper and posting here on TBH!

Comment

4x4 every day and twice on Sunday. As others have said, you get back 90% of the extra money you paid for 4x4 when you sell the truck. Save calling a wrecker a couple of times while you own the vehicle and you have made money.

4x4 in heavy pickup applications is not for tearing through mud.... It’s for saving your bacon in those inevitable unexpected situations. When you’re slipping; just barely stuck.
        Last edited by 30-30; 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

4x4 only for me. Can't access some of my hunting and fishing grounds without it.

Comment

Another vote for 4x4. Will never go back. Definitely found myself in situations where 2wd wouldn't cut it

Comment

I have 2 4wd and looking to add a 4 wheeler.

Trucks get me where I need to go but years like this it's not worth the ruts they dig.

Comment

I am in a 2wd Tahoe now and have been since 2010, I will never buy another 2wd considering the amount of ranch / off road time I partake in.

Comment

4x4

Comment

I have one of each.

Comment

4X4

We have never had a truck or SUV that wasn’t 4WD. I’d rather have it for those few occasions that it was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All good trips that become legend start with “do you have 4wd?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                          Yall take 4WD less whistles, over all whistles, even if you're 85% hwy?
                          I like all the whistles and 4wd, have found I do better on trade in like that and I do use 4wd regularly.

My wife said I cannot have a 2wd diesel again. Had a 2wd diesel that I loved but actually got stuck on wet clover in front of a locked pasture gate that I did not have my key to, wife and I had to walk in the dark about 3 miles during prime gulf coast mosquito season to get to a phone (pre cellphone days)...no more 2 wd.

Wife drives 4wd suv's because we spend quite a bit of time in the mountains in the winter.

Comment

4WD Tundra.
                            Last two trucks have been 4WD and can't see myself ever owning another one that aint. You don't always need it but when you do..................

Comment

4wd only for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                4wd since 1973. They will get you stuck farther and worse than 2wd!
                                A 2wd with locker or limited slip in the rear with chains will go farther than most normal 4wd. Been there and seen it.

I've seen it also and definitely true if you can stay in existing ruts but in the soup and gumbo we have down here on the coast the front end turns into a submarine if you don't have 4wd fighting to keep you on top when you're not running in existing ruts.

When I was a boy we fed cattle with a single bale trailer behind a 2wd chevy heavy half with a locker and chains, you quickly learn how to "carry some speed through it" with a bale behind you. Good Lord did I hate messing with those chains when we were done but sure wouldn't trade those memories and experiences.

I'm not saying I'm a great driver in the mud but I would speculate that I've probably been stuck more than 99.9% of the people on this planet
                                And FWIW, your not really stuck until you have to roll a window down to get out

Comment

Working...
                                X