• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    You still weren’t legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably not “ if you say so” but have been doing it for over 30 years and only ticket I have ever gotten with a trailer is having a expired plate

LOL used to pull everything with Chevy 1500 HD with a 6.0 in the early 2000’s ( got about 6-7 mpg) then a 2500duramax
    Driving a Chevy 1500 now and am contemplating buying a Kubota KX121-3 because it will fit on my trailer
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-14-2019, 05:00 PM. Reason: F dale

Comment

Take gvwr of truck plus gvwr of trailer and if they add up to 26001 pounds plus your are illegal.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

So the weight of the does or doesn't matter in TXDOT eyes as long as trailer is rated for weight?

Comment

The actual weight does not matter in regard to needing a CDL. But if the trailer is overloaded you can still be cited. It’ll probably never happen unless you run over someone, then they will sue your *** off and they WILL win. Insurance can probably bend you over in that scenario as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sticker Gross Combined WR is over 26000. Weight does matter, if you are exceeding your gvwr of either truck or trailer loaded, they can ticket you. May not be in CDL territory, but can be overweight. In that case they could take most single wheels with goosenecks/rv to the cleaners. I keep my cdl, physical every 2 years, nothing special to keep. Dot paperwork and logging requirements is what takes more time, if you are commercial. Not familiar with farm use.

Comment

You’d be painfully close to Okay if you found a bumper pull flatbed with 7k axles. The shorter the better.

If your truck is newish I’d trade you a 2500 ram... gives a bit more flexibility.

Comment

Actually the GCVWR threshold is 26,001 lbs not 26,000lbs. Th GVWR of truck and GVWR of trailer added together must be under 26,001lbs to stay out of CDL requirements. Farm use laws have changed, they follow the same standards, if GCVWR is over 26,001lbs then you will need a non commercial CDL. The empty weight does not matter, it is the GVWR on both. Ideally you need to find the shortest, lightest weight trailer that can carry your skid steer. Sending a PM

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                  Actually the GCVWR threshold is 26,001 lbs not 26,000lbs. Th GVWR of truck and GVWR of trailer added together must be under 26,001lbs to stay out of CDL requirements. Farm use laws have changed, they follow the same standards, if GCVWR is over 26,001lbs then you will need a non commercial CDL. The empty weight does not matter, it is the GVWR on both. Ideally you need to find the shortest, lightest weight trailer that can carry your skid steer. Sending a PM
                  I am now confused as my 16 low boy has a LRE of like 2100? with tandem 7k axel , gvwr 14000 . My truck is engineered to tow up to 19,780 pounds and weighs 8500-9000
                  How much breathing room do I have on what size tractor, excavator or skidder + implements or different buckets I can legally tow

Rams claim
                  GROSS COMBINED WEIGHT RATING (GCWR) SAYS IT ALL. We get it. You need to count on your Ram Heavy Duty to accomplish the toughest jobs. The Ram Heavy Duty maximum GCWR numbers measure up. On Ram 3500 models, GCWR reaches up to 17,736 kg (39,100 lb). The numbers behind Ram 2500 are equally as formidable: these 3/4-ton GCWR figures are rated up to 11,476 kg (25,300 lb).
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-14-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    Current truck is Ford f350 that has GVWR of 11,500.
                    What is the configuration of your truck?

A srw PSD F350 with .355 gears ranges from 20,200-28,700 GCVWR.

A drw PSD F350 ranges from 36,000-41,800 GCVWR.

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Comment

According to the GADOT cop I talked to, "technically" every dually, loaded or empty, is supposed to go over the scales. He said that they don't worry about duallies though.

I had the Florida DOT guys take me over the hurdles for about an hour at an AG weigh station on my DRW Ram 3500. I was over 30,000 lbs and they were jamming me up over some live plants.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        I am now confused as my 16 low boy has a LRE of like 2100? with tandem 7k axel , gvwr 14000 . My truck is engineered to tow up to 19,780 pounds and weighs 8500-9000
                        How much breathing room do I have on what size tractor, excavator or skidder + implements or different buckets I can legally tow
                        Trailer and truck combine is 33,780.
                        Trailer weighs 2,100lbs can have a load on it 14,000 - 2,100 = 11,900. Can take some of the load weight and move it to the tongue weight of truck.. I might be wrong but I think it's like 15%.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                          I’m no help finding official verbiage online. But my understanding is 26,000 is the combined truck/trailer gvwr limit for in-state hauling without a CDL. Regardless of how much weight is on the trailer. You can get yourself there very quickly with a one ton.

Side-bar: Is it true the limit drops to 10,000 for crossing state lines? Can one even drive an empty F350 across the line without a cdl?
                          Commercially, yes, but you don’t have to have a CDL unless you’re combined GVWR is 26,001.

Oklahoma is the same as Texas, unless you don’t live there. If you live there, same laws apply as they do here. If you don’t live there, and you are over 10,000, you are regulated by DOT and must possess a log, medical card, and physical. So yes, an empty F350 would be considered DOT regulated.

Comment

Working...
                          X