victory VAP arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

victory VAP arrows

I had bought a dozen of these arrows a couple years ago, and I really liked the very slim design and thick wall. they fly good, and will penetrate deeper than most other arrows. my only problem is that since the inserts are a half in and half out type, they tend to bend easily when hitting bone. I have 3 that has done this, and when they bend the very tip of the carbon breaks and the arrow isn't good anymore. has anyone else had this problem?

They redesigned the outsert within the past few years by adding a lip that cups the outside of the shaft. The new ones are orange and green if I remember correctly. The problem however is that it's still aluminum. On any type of quartering shot, the pressure is exerted on the outsert and the wall of the shaft.

Even if you go with a stainless steel outsert, if you hit something hard (as you mentioned) it will blow out the wall of the shaft.

The only way around that is to go with an outsert that can bend and be replaced (Clean Shot's Lock-N-Load), or a design that is sunk into the shaft (Easton's Deep Six), or one that cups the outside of the shaft to support it (Black Eagle's Outsert, Firenock's Aero-outsert, Muddy APS Outsert). I don't really consider any of them bomb proof, and as a result I've gone back to standard diameter shafts.

If I still was shooting VAPs, I would likely go with firenock's aero-outsert, though the tolerances weren't very exact due to the variations in shaft diameter.

Comment

I have used other brands but keep going back to these. Love the way they fly and penitrate

Comment

I am slinging vaps and have yet to have any bending issues. Using the standard orange outsert. Great foc and penetration

Comment

Originally posted by windwalker View Post
          I have used other brands but keep going back to these. Love the way they fly and penitrate
          yes I bought some beman arrows, but my VAPs go about 8 inches further into my Rinehart target. ill have to try some different outserts maybe.

Comment

Victory and most of the other manufacturers (that use the outsert design) advise not to shoot into bag targets.

Make sure to spin test them pretty regularly!

Comment

I just bought 18 of these in 250 spine to test out. Little nervous about reading this post after buying them, guess we will see

Comment

I recently inquired about these arrows with my bowtech because they are a thinner diam, thicker walled light arrow with a heavy in/outsert and I liked that I could keep the arrow pretty light and maintain a high FOC. He advised against it because of that juncture being a very critical portion of the arrow and the potential of failure at that section on angled/hard impacted shots. I feel like I would be all over these arrows if they made a 50gr HIT style insert or something more structurally sound.

Comment

I've shot them for 3 seasons now and have had good luck with them. So far I have only bent one of the aluminum outserts and it was doing something dumb. I walked up on a huge rattlesnake and didn't have anything but my bow to kill it with. It was right by one of my ground blinds, the one I was about to get in to hunt. It coiled up and I shot him, problem was he was right over a mesquite root and I shot him at about 5 yds and it embeded int he root. Bent the outsert and blew out the nock.

I've shot several bucks and a big boar hog with them and have not bent an outsert on an animal yet. I'm using the standard orange colored aluminum outserts.

I like how they shoot and have had no problems on game so I will buy more and keep shooting them.

Comment

Firenock outserts and then they are bomb proof... Well sorta.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT_TRAIL View Post
                      Firenock outserts and then they are bomb proof... Well sorta.
                      Hmmm... I just googled the firenock outserts. Looks like I'll have to give them a try. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X