X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Buck.... Big or Small?

A YOUNGSTER’S FIRST BUCK

BIG OR SMALL?

It’s a question that most of us have been faced with at some time or another. Unlike our fathers and grandfathers, where meat was the objective of the hunt, you shot what you saw, and the rack was just a byproduct of the animal to be either hung out in the barn, or used as a hat rack by the door. Along with all the protein feeds, game mgmt., and selective breeding practices, the opportunity for a first time hunter to take a whopper whitetail are as good as they have ever been. And as is the case on many ranches, there are a number of good mature bucks to pick from. Which poses the question, do you have the youngster shoot the biggest buck he can find for his first buck, or opt for the lesser, respectable, mature buck for the young hunter. There seems to be two schools of thought on this subject.

Option A being that the respectable buck is taken with the premise that the young hunter has to pay his dues, and work his way up to the big bucks, and not be handed one right off the bat.

Option B is that the kid is allowed to take the big buck, with the idea that he will always strive to one up his first deer.

There is of course a third option wherein the first acceptable buck that presents himself is taken; in essence leaving the decision up to blind faith; a buck by default if you will.

I’ll go out on a limb and say most hunters identify with option A, giving their young hunter something to look forward to in the coming years. Option B on the other hand seems to be complicated in part by the old adage, “only the best for my kid.” Just take a brief look at a south Texas big buck contest-youth division and you will see a mob of very young kids posing with GIANT whitetails the likes of which, most people have never seen. This phenomenon seems to go a little beyond first time luck to say the least. Some would say that allowing the kid to take such a large deer right off the bat is doing the youngster a great disservice. After all, what else does the kid have to look forward to after taking a buck like that? Others would say a hunter that young hasn’t the wherewithal to truly appreciate all the time and effort it takes for most hunters to take such a magnificent trophy. Hence the phrase” buck of a lifetime.” When it’s all said and done, it’s your call, you be the judge.

The third option is much clearer cut, going back to the days of old, when times were simple, choices were fewer, and meat was scarcer, and necessity dictated hunter’s actions, not the quest for a trophy. We are truly blessed when we can be afforded the luxury of having a choice on what exact animal we will take, when not too long ago a hunter would head out for a day of hunting not knowing if he would be able to even see, much less take an animal at all. These are truly great times to be a hunter, whatever the size, the choice is yours.

So what does the GS say?

At Your Service,
    TUCO

You summed it up pretty well. Personally, I'm still trying to do better than an 8 pointer and I'm 35. My daughter is only 5 but, I think when the time comes, and she's interested, I would like her to take a doe first and see what else comes with taking an animal. (Cleaning, gutting, quartering, etc.) If she's still interested after that, then I think I would like for her to get a good sized mang. type buck and then later on we would try to get her that "trophy". After I get mine first of course.

Comment

I've always been an option A individual... this coming from a guy that has never shot a trophy anything, except a huge hog...

Comment

I agree with let every hunter decide. MY decision with newbies I take hunting is they have to earn their wings. My personal style is I want to teach the hunter everything they should know about hunting. Watch and learn where they are coming from. Watch how they interact with one another. Explain the age of each deer. Every nuance of hunting. Let them take a doe, spike or scrub. Letting them take that "good'un" seems to me that I would be placing too much emphasis on antlers over the animal. Once they truly become "hunters" then let them take that big buck they earned.

Everybody do what works for you, this just happens to work for me.

BTW, I introduced a 50+ year old great friend to his first ever hunting experience a couple of years ago. I let him take a doe and I think it took a week for his adrenaline and smile to wear off. However, he immediately went to "So, when do I get to shoot a big buck!!!!". Just did not feel right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by txrdkng View Post
          I agree with let every hunter decide. MY decision with newbies I take hunting is they have to earn their wings. My personal style is I want to teach the hunter everything they should know about hunting. Watch and learn where they are coming from. Watch how they interact with one another. Explain the age of each deer. Every nuance of hunting. Let them take a doe, spike or scrub. Letting them take that "good'un" seems to me that I would be placing too much emphasis on antlers over the animal. Once they truly become "hunters" then let them take that big buck they earned.

Everybody do what works for you, this just happens to work for me.

BTW, I introduced a 50+ year old great friend to his first ever hunting experience a couple of years ago. I let him take a doe and I think it took a week for his adrenaline and smile to wear off. However, he immediately went to "So, when do I get to shoot a big buck!!!!". Just did not feel right to me.
          X2 I agree with this

Comment

My grandson can pretty much shoot anything we see
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0082.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	24014700

Comment

I let my son take an antlerless first. The next year a spike. After that branch antlered deer. He will have to earn a decent buck like the rest of us.

Comment

im with option A

Comment

I have pretty much and unlimited supply of bucks but I chose option A and chose to start explaining deer management even though she was far too young to understand even a little. She killed a really small 7pt and was thrilled as if it were a net book deer!

Since then she has slowly learned to appreciate really big deer. I have worked her up the scale since then but, horn size is not her #1 agenda. Her biggest priority is age.

Wile she still doesn't totally get it all she does understand it takes time and patience to get a buck to maturity.

Her last buck she waited 3 years for and was so satisfied afterwards she never asked to shoot another buck this year. She wanted to know what to do to help so she could help another one grow up so she could hunt him!

You can't go wrong getting someone started but, if you have the chance I think making it a learning experience is helpful.

Comment

[QUOTE=qzilla;You can't go wrong getting someone started but, if you have the chance I think making it a learning experience is helpful.[/QUOTE]

very well said

Comment

my first deer was a very nice heavy 8 and always tried to beat it then once i started bow hunting the only buck i killed was a nice 10...so its kinda hard to brak one of those but someday will!

Comment

Honestly the first deer I shot was a button buck way back then and I was jumping for joy and I was just as happy if it had been a 12 point. My second deer was a 6 point and again I was on cloud nine, over the years Ive been lucky enough to take a lot of nice deer and some real trophys but I still think about my first and smile and have more happy memories since I was with my dad and wouldnt trade that little deer for 15 B&C bucks today. Its all about memories and not trophies on the wall for the new comers I think. I would give anything to go back to that day and just give my dad a big hug again!!!!

Comment

My first buck was a little basket rack 6 point and is the smallest buck I have ever taken but its one I will never forget! I think starting them out on the lower end of the totem pole with a doe or spike and going from there! Your first deer is a special one no matter what you get your gonna be proud of it!

Comment

I would let him take a horned animal,he will have those horns for the rest of his life,even if its a spike,that will be a trophy no matter how big it is.

Comment

I like hearing all the different takes on this subject. Sounds like everybody has a good grasp of what hunting is all about...

QZILLA,

I love the way you have taught the finer points of hunting to your daughter. It sounds like she is already exhibiting the characteristics of a veteran HUNTER …not a killer. Your daughter is very fortunate to have a father that possesses the insight and wisdom that it takes to mentor a young hunter, and teach them right from wrong; and the reasoning behind responsible hunters’ actions. You and your daughter are no doubt an asset to the hunting community, and it gives me hope that there are still some mighty good folks out there passing on our heritage to the next generation.

Thank you QZILLA for teaching the next generation the right way. I know for people like us it is a labor of love.

At Your Service,
                              TUCO

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
                              I have pretty much and unlimited supply of bucks but I chose option A and chose to start explaining deer management even though she was far too young to understand even a little. She killed a really small 7pt and was thrilled as if it were a net book deer!

Since then she has slowly learned to appreciate really big deer. I have worked her up the scale since then but, horn size is not her #1 agenda. Her biggest priority is age.

Wile she still doesn't totally get it all she does understand it takes time and patience to get a buck to maturity.

Her last buck she waited 3 years for and was so satisfied afterwards she never asked to shoot another buck this year. She wanted to know what to do to help so she could help another one grow up so she could hunt him!

You can't go wrong getting someone started but, if you have the chance I think making it a learning experience is helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X