old sabine update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old sabine update

getting ready to head out on thursday for the may hog season on the old sabine. planning on stayin a few days. just wonderin how the atv trails are looking and if the flooded conditions have calmed down. i suspect they have since we have had somewhat of a dry spell here lately. keep me posted if you can fellas.

you check you pm's?

Comment

oh yeah i forgot about the pms. just saw your message. thanks.

Comment

so how did your hunt go?

i wanted to come out but ended up working out of state, got home at 1 this morning

Comment

Yeah come on Grenade...how did you do? What's up spray...looking forward to some camofire time and a little huntin...we got a four wheeler...Rick

Comment

me too , i can hardly wait for deer season to come back around.

as far as the 4 wheeler goes, get some mud tires and come on, i am always out mudding

Comment

well my hunt went well. alot of standing water on the trails though. i mean alot. barely got the mule to go in it. got stuck a few times and wondered if we would ever get the dang thing unstuck. but you wouldnt believe all the hog sign. unbelievable. everysingle trail had wallows and fresh tracks. we took the mule up the east trail as far as we could go "not very far". we got out and walked a few hundred yards following the hog sign along the trail until i had enough of the mosquitoes tearing my face up. so we walked back to the mule. i was taking a leak off in the woods and my brother in law was trying to get his thermacell going. and out of nowhere comes in a pack of about 15 hogs. i mean they litterally came out of the woodwork. i was thinking great lets kill one and dump it on the mule. by the way these hogs were like 20 yards from the mule and never knew we were there. well to make a long story short i made the mistake of letting my brother in law take the first shot and of course he missed and they all scattered. lol. it was a pathetic miss i might say. 15 yards and the guy misses. so we hoped into the mule depressed knowing we would have to spend another moquitto ridden night at the old sabine. we left the next evening after having no more luck.

Comment

lmao, im normally the one who misses and my brother in law is cussin me out,lol

Comment

Hey Grenade, I was out on the Oil Field trails at Sabine on Friday morning doing some last minute squirrel hunting and came across some big cat prints. My barber says he he lives out really close and has seen a big black cat slinking though his back yard at night before.

Do you know anything about it? Did you see anything? The prints I saw were at least 3.5 - 4.0 inches long with a very distinguished cat imprint...

Comment

Originally posted by myndgame View Post
                    Hey Grenade, I was out on the Oil Field trails at Sabine on Friday morning doing some last minute squirrel hunting and came across some big cat prints. My barber says he he lives out really close and has seen a big black cat slinking though his back yard at night before.

Do you know anything about it? Did you see anything? The prints I saw were at least 3.5 - 4.0 inches long with a very distinguished cat imprint...
                    Did you get any pics of the tracks? Did you let the manager/biologist know?
                    I don't live far from the river, I would not doubt a "big cat" but I have never seen any sign of one myself.

What are you calling the Oil Field trails?

Comment

I think he is talking about the last turn to the left before the river camp spot...the oil companies are doing something out there as there was a lot of equipment out there last Nov.-Dec. must still be there...Rick

Comment

You got it Rickzilla. Head down the main road until the road turns left and follows the river. The sign calls it "Oil Field Trail" or something... keep going all the way down and you'll pass two or 3 oil wells before you get to the parking spot. I think it's trail 11 that I took where you cross a little bridge and walk around a swamp/pond area. The tracks were down a bit before the water takes over the trail.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me at the time. The tracks were going back and forth along the trail. There were hog tracks galore as well as some deer tracks but I didn't see any indication that a scuffle had taken place.

Comment

I suppose it could have been a bobcat but it was a monster if it was...

Comment

No bobcat with tracks that big, maybe a tiger from the tiger refuge over in Red Springs

Comment

hmm, i havent noticed any cat tracks in all my years on the old sabine. but it wouldnt surprise me. the park is so huge it would be easy for any sort of reclusive animal to go unnoticed for years. by the way was it pretty dry out there when you went. it was flooded when i went and it sucked having to push my mule whenever we got stuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X