ACL complete tear. Who’s been there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACL complete tear. Who’s been there?

So back in February I managed to get a few hairline fractures in my tibia and fibula, sprained my ankle and completely tore my ACL. Ankle and knee feels great finally and I’ve quit going to PT due to them not really doing anything new. I’m finally getting back the gym also. But my ortho is not ready to do surgery and he claims I might not even need it. I’ve expressed my concerns to him but I’m looking for real world experience. The main reason is I want to start running again. I did my first 5k before the accident and I want to get back in the game. If for no other reason that I enjoy running. I’ve got a good brace that I wear daily but I’m just not sure about the running bit. I’m also over going to the doc. As you might imagine that he bills are piling up. So anybody that’s been there, I’d like to hear about the benefits of surgery or just strengthening the leg and working my way slowly back into things. My other concern is western hunting. I’m skipping the Mountains this year to strengthen up for next year. Just feeling stuck about how to proceed or what to advocate for with the ortho.

Thanks.

-------------------------------
    Violence never settles anything
    -Genghis Kahn

I had a complete ACL, PCL, and MCL tear(s) when I was run over like a speed bump by a half ton pickup. I had the surgery and my knee is still gimpy.

I would run on the knee until it starts to give you fits, then suck it up and have the surgery. You might get lucky and never require it.

Comment

Been there twice same knee, just had it replaced this last December. I lived without one for nearly 20 yrs and functioned fine other than a little instability and obviously weaker than my “good” knee. It buckled while on an elk hunt this last September and I decided to seek a solution. Doc explained to me the difference is if you don’t fix it and are active, then more than likely you’ll end up chewing through your cartilage over time and need a knee replacement. You fix your ACL and MAYBE you won’t need a knee replacement when you get older. If you do get it fixed I recommend not letting them use one of your hamstrings....to put it plainly it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
        I had a complete ACL, PCL, and MCL tear(s) when I was run over like a speed bump by a half ton pickup. I had the surgery and my knee is still gimpy.

I would run on the knee until it starts to give you fits, then suck it up and have the surgery. You might get lucky and never require it.

That’s pretty much how I’m feeling about but I’m just not sure if I could F it up even more and of course, self diagnosing on the inter webs is all over the place.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

I tore my ACL in late April and had surgery in early June. Everything i found and everyone I talked to recommended surgery if you're young(ish) and active. You can still run and be active without an ACL, cannot play sports or cut on your leg though. There is a good chance you will misstep or twist the wrong way and damage other structures in your knee. If you decide to have surgery pm me because I'm in Austin and have stuff I won't need by then (brace, crutches, workout gear, etc.)

Comment

I’m 44 and active. My only sports include running, hiking, fishing and hunting.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

I’ve torn my cal, mil, meniscus.. I had surgery and my knee still bothers me.. Like said running in a straight line it’s fine may get a bit irritated.. but if you are going to continue mountain hunting I’d get it done.. All that climbing, twisting, stepping over stuff is really hard on your knees and I guarantee you you will have problems..

Comment

I've had them all rehab rehab. And then when you are done rehabbing start exercising and you will be fine. If you want to just sit on your *** after the surgery don't get it.

Comment

Had ACL and meniscus replacement 2 weeks before my wedding, I walked down the isle. Your bad knee will never be as good as the other one without repair. After all the rehab, I’m good to go, even ran 2 warrior dashes a couple years later. My previously broken back gives me way more issues than my knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tore my ACL 12 years ago. Doc told me that I don’t need surgery if I don’t plan to do any activity that requires significant side to side stability. I chose to have surgery and had the allograft method (cadaver donor). Recovery is all about PT and your effort. Knee still bothers me when I over do it, but then I have gained some weight since then and that doesn’t help

Comment

U could and would be just fine letting the knee heal/scar up... IF you just went about a normal easy lifestyle with no heavy impact..
                      That's where u have to decide bc the second u decide to push it and that knee buckles you will very likely tear the meniscus and or collateral ligaments. .. with your injury I wouldn't doubt if you did also partially tear meniscus already
                      If it's me I'm getting an acl graft- I'm too hard on my knees with the stuff I like to do and couldn't live with the instability

Comment

I tore my medial meniscus 8 years ago (while hunting of course) and they saw a tear in my ACL as well. When I had surgery (scope), the doc trimmed the meniscus but left the ACL tear stating it wasn't bad enough to warrant further intervention at that time and a watch and see approach would be best. Tore the lateral meniscus 3 months later and had a second surgery where they trimmed the second tear. Now, my knee is okay, somewhat unstable but okay, and I only have pain occasionally, unless I try to run... then it really sucks. Any activity that might strain the knee requires a hinged knee brace and I should probably buy stock in antiinflammatories... anyway, do the surgery, at least you have a chance at getting better. Don't do the surgery and it likely won't stop sucking either. So do what you can live with. I can live with mine as is... for now. Due to the amount of trimming the surgeon did to smooth out the tears, the lack of cartilage will likely make me end up with a full knee replacement sooner than later.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back y'all. I think for now I'll continue to strengthen the leg and continue to look into the surgery. I got kids to chase and and more exploring to do. I really want my knee to be the best it can possibly be. Getting older sucks.......

Comment

Therapy is very important as to if you have the surgery it helps it all to heal faster.
                            Tore my left ACL in 07 had it replaced with ligament from a thigh graft of my own. All was good until I tore the meniscus on the right knee. Now I was compensating with good leg. Good leg got bad again, and last October I tore the meniscus root of my left knee. I am borderline knee replacements on both knees. It is forcing me to retire after 34 years as a electrician. Surgery is cake, will not hurt. PT is important. Before and after surgery.
                            Good Luck take glucosamine with condroitin for joint health.

ACL surgery
                            ACLwoundpics10109002 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Torn Meniscus surgery
                            KIMG0205 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Tore mine on a elk hunt 4 years ago, sounded like a gun went of. One week later had it drilled and replace. Busted ***** and dr gave me a full release at 6 months to do anything I wanted but suggested any hiking I still use a brace until I hit 1 year and I headed back to the mountains it has more stability than my original.

Comment

Working...
                              X