San Jacinto County Food Plot Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Jacinto County Food Plot Advice

I have a 150 acre lease near the trinity river that I want to plant some food plots on. We have a powerline and a few smaller spots for plots that total roughly 3.5 acres. I have an 80 hp tractor so I'm thinking about getting a 6' tiller and want to know who makes a good one that yall would recommend? The areas just have grass that I will cut and should I also kill it or will tilling it be enough?

Also looking for recommendations on what to plant. I'll get a soil sample and get it analyzed so I can figure out what I need to add in.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
    I have a 150 acre lease near the trinity river that I want to plant some food plots on. We have a powerline and a few smaller spots for plots that total roughly 3.5 acres. I have an 80 hp tractor so I'm thinking about getting a 6' tiller and want to know who makes a good one that yall would recommend? The areas just have grass that I will cut and should I also kill it or will tilling it be enough?

Also looking for recommendations on what to plant. I'll get a soil sample and get it analyzed so I can figure out what I need to add in.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Spraying and killing is a huge plus in my opinion, I’m out west but buck forage oats, wheat, elbon rye and Austrian winter peas are what I use. Good luck and a tiller will be a very nice tool to have, I want one but can’t warrant the cost for just food plots. Good luck! Dry creek and some of the other guys have way more knowedlge and we’re a big help for me this past year.

Comment

The first year I would spray and kill. After that only as needed. When you disc and turn roots over the plants gonna die.

Comment

The areas highlighted in yellow are the areas I would like to plant. Since I'm already late to the game for spring plots I may just try to do do an acre for a test trial and just get all the tilling, grass killing and lime done to get ready for the fall plots.

I was just planning on renting a 6' tiller from sunbelt for $170 a week but now I may just go ahead and buy a used one I found for $1200.

Comment

We dont spray and our fields turn out great every year, as long as they get timely rains. Tiller is awesome, but slower than a disc in my dry soil. I like to use a big disc on our larger plots. Our deer love everything we plant. BobOats, Winter Wheat, Austrian Winter Peas, IC Peas, Clovers, Rape, Chicory, etc....

Comment

Working...
          X