No announcement yet.

Cats or Guineas for Snakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought some guineas as alarms/snake birds.. Kept them in a cage for a month to teach them where their home was ....as I was instructed to do.
    Opened the cage door on the 30th day and watched them fly away.

Comment

Do guinea tear up the grass like chickens? I'd love to have a crew of bug/snake eaters running around letting me know when we have any visitors, but don't want them to tear up the yard.

Comment

What about emus ?

Comment

Cats. But definitely get neutered. An unfixed tom cat will roam looking for a female and not keep his mind on watching for your snakes and mice! Neutering does nothing to his hunting instinct. As for spraying, an unfixed tom cat is like an unfixed male dog. They have to mark anything and everything.

Comment

A buddy of mine would go to the animal control place near him about 2-3 times a year to pick up free fixed cats to keep the mice and snakes under control around his barn. After a couple of years, the kind folks at the animal control place asked him what he was doing with all of these cats. So he told them it was pest control on his place. They said he should have enough by now. His reply..."Well the dang hawks kill the cats from time to time so I have to get new ones."

They wouldn't let him adopt any more cats... even though they were going to euthanize them anyway...

Comment

Them Guineas hens aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Got a few some years back and the **** weenier dog killed 5 or 6 in just 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by itsgood1308 View Post
                The scale seems to really be tipping towards the cats. This is probably a regional question, but where should I try for low cost neutering?
                Barncats.org
                They will bring you fixed barn cats for no adoption fee.
                Seems win-win.
                Last edited by Blondie; 04-07-2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                  Also wouldn't hurt to pick up a dachshund, they hate snakes.
                  and skunks, rabbits, buzzards, small annoying puppies, raccoons, and opposums

Comment

Guineas also eat ticks

Comment

Cats. Guineas are good but loud!

Comment

Guineas will roost in trees and survive predators much better. Raise some babies in a pen and they will stay around. They eat good too. Taste like a giant quail bird. IF you can stand the pot-racking.

Comment

Working...
                        X