Buying a used truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a used truck?

Im looking at getting a used truck in the next month or so. Been looking at f150 since that's what I have now, looked at some dodges too. Most trucks I've liked and can afford comfortably have close to 100k mikes on them. Are motors like the ecos and 5.0 getting to 200k regularly? What about the 5.7 hemi? I have a 5.4 now with over 230k and would like something that will last that long.

Whats your budget? I got my 2007 extended cab silverado with 29k miles in 2012 for $20k out the door.

Low mileage trucks are out there but need to jump on them asap.

I now have 162k miles on it and drive it daily. It is the 5.3 engine.

Comment

Around 20k, bem looking mostly at trucks on cargurus. Most likely will need to be from a dealership so I can finance it.

Comment

I think today’s engines will hold up that long and longer properly cared for from all the manufacturers the electronics are probably the weakest link in my opinion

Comment

Have your local bank pre approve you for an amount. Then use them to pick what truck you want not the other way around.

Good used deals are out there just be patient and wait for them. And don't be afraid to drive to go get it. Maybe even out of state if needed. It is worth $400 dollars in fuel to get it if you save several thousand dollars on the truck you want.

Use Craigslist Facebook market place eBay all the sites to help in your hunt. And a lot of time you can tell a used dealership what you want at what price and they can find you a truck at the dealer auctions that will meet your criteria.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice is after you decide what to get, google what issues people commonly have with them. For example, type “2014 F-150 problem with” and see what google auto fills in after. If you do it with GM trucks around 09 it will be all kinds of people that had to replace the engine around 100k miles after the Active Fuel Management killed their truck. I know if the turbo has any issues on those eco boost fords it is big money repairs. They all have their weak link, but some detective google work may help you find one that has a weak link you can either fix yourself, or prevent from breaking on the first place. I have a 2002 Chevy and after owning an 09 GMC for a short stent, have decided I will drop a new motor/tranny in that thing before I wrestle with the newer trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
              Around 20k, bem looking mostly at trucks on cargurus. Most likely will need to be from a dealership so I can finance it.
              Mike Brown in Granbury had a Facebook ad for leftover 2019 Ram Hemi 2wd crews for $20,900

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                My advice is after you decide what to get, google what issues people commonly have with them. For example, type “2014 F-150 problem with” and see what google auto fills in after. If you do it with GM trucks around 09 it will be all kinds of people that had to replace the engine around 100k miles after the Active Fuel Management killed their truck. I know if the turbo has any issues on those eco boost fords it is big money repairs. They all have their weak link, but some detective google work may help you find one that has a weak link you can either fix yourself, or prevent from breaking on the first place. I have a 2002 Chevy and after owning an 09 GMC for a short stent, have decided I will drop a new motor/tranny in that thing before I wrestle with the newer trucks.
                Exactly what I did with my '07 KR....

MOST of my buddy's who dropped 50 to 75k on the latest, greatest complain they're in the shop more often than they drive them....😉

Comment

For reference, my 2014 F150 with the 5.0 has over 256,000 mikes on it. The only items I have changed because I had to on the engine is one hose and an emissions valve that was giving me a hard start condition a little over 100,000 miles. I think it was a $60-70 part.

I have changed the plugs, shocks and brakes. Other than tires and one battery I have not put any other money in it.

This is my company truck and I've been holding out for a new one until we could get Ford again. For the last couple of years they have only been leasing Chevy and we have had issues with many of them.

My previous F150s had the 5.4 and 3.5 EcoBoost. No issues with any of those either.

Can highly recommend a Ford 5.0!

Comment

I'd get one built in the U.S., like a Tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                      This. I bought one with 78k on it 2 years ago. The price was really close to your budget range. It is my first Toyota. So far so good.

Comment

I’ll be listing my 2014 5.0 F-150 FX4 really soon. Need to get it detailed and ready. It has 102k miles on it currently. I’ve seen these trucks go 250-400k miles. Not a must sell but I don’t want it to just sit.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                          I heard they are horrible on gas mileage. My 5.4 gets about 15mpg, I'd like to go up and not down.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            I’ll be listing my 2014 5.0 F-150 FX4 really soon. Need to get it detailed and ready. It has 102k miles on it currently. I’ve seen these trucks go 250-400k miles. Not a must sell but I don’t want it to just sit.
                            Thats a good looking truck, how much you going to list it for?

Comment

I’d stay away from the eco boost if you want longevity and stick with a 5.0. Those turbos have been known to crap out slightly past 100k

Comment

Working...
                              X