Solar panel build for trail cam Tgil style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
    Nice work tgil. How did you attach the camera to the t-post? The Cantex junctions boxes look like a good alternative for the battery enclosure..
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I just use the supplied strap for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sr. View Post
      What made you use the Radio Shack "m" plug vs. their "k" plug?
      Read on someone elses thread that it fit, and it did.

Comment

Had a question about the bracket for the panel. I knew I had seen them in the store, but couldn't remember the brand. Here ya go!

Academy, $19.99

Comment

Sweet!!!!

Comment

Tgil, can you explain how the wiring goes? Is the "M" connector the only wiring you bought from radio shack? I am looking to do this setup and am not real mechanically included, thanks. Great DIY thread, btw!

Comment

Red and black wires come on the panel. Put a "female spade" connector on each. Cut about 18" or so above those and put the same spade connectors on the side that goes back to the panel. Use the connectors in the fourth pic to slip on to the top of the battery. You should now have two black wires and two red wires with spade connectors on them. Attach the two red wires to the the positive side of the battery and the two black wires to the negative side of the battery. The end of the 18" piece that you cut that still has nothing attached is what goes to the "M" connector. You will have to strip the ends of the wire and solder them to the connector. I think the "center" of the "M" is the positive. If that doen't make sense, PM me again, with your phone number and I'll see if I can walk you through it.
              DON'T ACTUALLY PUT THE WIRES ON THE BATTERY UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COMPLETE! Don't want you shorting out the battery while trying to solder the "M" connector.
              Last edited by tgil; 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info....... I am going to drop by radio shack and pick up the M connector. I'm pretty sure I have the female spade connectors at home. If I have any question I will send you a pm.

Comment

One quick question you are not putting battries in the cam right, just useing the 6v with the solar panel ?

Comment

Originally posted by CuzIcan View Post
                    One quick question you are not putting battries in the cam right, just useing the 6v with the solar panel ?
                    No need for batteries in the camera if you are using the 6v battery and solar panel.

Comment

Originally posted by redoak77 View Post
                      Update: size "N" will work in these units and is working fine.
                      I am wanting to try one of these setups on one of my Moutrie's. Are the Moutrie's 12 volt or 6 ? I was thinking they were 12 volt.

Thanks

Comment

Very cool stuff. Does the battery ever go dead or just keep on running. This may be the "real" energizer bunny rabbit Battery.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1@yahoo.com View Post
                          I am wanting to try one of these setups on one of my Moutrie's. Are the Moutrie's 12 volt or 6 ? I was thinking they were 12 volt.

Thanks
                          I have a setup like this on my Moultrie I-40 and it is a 12 volt.

Originally posted by buckmastertexas View Post
                          Very cool stuff. Does the battery ever go dead or just keep on running. This may be the "real" energizer bunny rabbit Battery.
                          Mine has kept running since August of last year. I would think eventually you will have to replace the battery but you should get at least two years out of a rechargeable.

Comment

This one is going in my Fav. folder for when I get home in four months.

Comment

TTT!
                              Building two of these this weekend! Tired of buying batteries!

Comment

The promos 35 is 6 volt.

Comment

Working...
                                X