"Buffalo Hog" Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Buffalo Hog" Report

Last night we decided to say heck with the tree stands and I sat with my lady friend in a pop up around 6 pm. Close to 7 the coons scatter and we see a 225-250 lb white/black spotted boar. Really wanted him but he was in the brush at 40 yards and I didnt think the time was right to let one fly. Seconds later my gal starts FLIPPIN out and says OMG is that a buffalo?!?! I couldnt see but I peeked to my left and sure enough it was the biggest hog I have EVER seen in person, much less on this land. (biggest hog we have seen is prob under 300)...So he gets to the feeder but 20 yards behind it and shows no intention of going to the feeder. he starts rubbing on a TREE LIMB that we mark and when I knew he was occupied I let one rip through the mesh screen of the Ameristep Pop up. He took off but was so big it looked like a cow trying to run and was almost too slow. Even though I knew I put the pin on the money it was over 40 yards and thru the screen, so I began to doubt. Around 9pm we go check the arrow...Clean pass thru!!! really clear blood, almost watery and it blew out the back over the tree he was rubbing on. We mark the top of his back and it comes up to just under my belly button and I am over 6'2" tall. I think he is close to 4 bills but we will see...so we track solid blood trail with big 12" wide watery blood for 50 yards and come to a thicket we didnt know was on his property. we get 1 yard from it and that beast starts grunting and wrestling around in there not eve 5 yards from us. all 3 of us trackers let a few rounds fly from the pistolas and then its dead silence...we go back to get mule and water and come back an hour later...its the thickest of the thick and we are on our bellies with knife in mouth and pistols in hand crawling after this beast...we discover a whole system of tunnels inside the thicket (not underground) and find big hoofs and more blood. He was running furthur and furthur in the thicket...we got to a clearing where we decided we were idiots and it was dangerous and too hard to see at night, so were going back today to find the "buffalo hog"...it was definitely a russian with some solid cutters. If i find that bad boy Ill have my camera ready. Wish us luck!

Can't wait to see the "buffalo"

Comment

The ol lady is hilarious. It was a big russian with high front shoulders and LONG hair on his back...but she wasnt kidding about the size when she saw it. I have hunted hogs for years and this thing is a monster!

Comment

BTW I think we all sharted when that hog got up!

Comment

Pics!!! We must have pics man!!!!

Comment

Man Rule: No pics, no happen.

Comment

Update

Went to look for the hog after work...Found tracks and 15 more yards of blood in some thick thick stuff...then of course it starts pouring! Dont really know what to do at this point...We saw where he bedded down and there is a solid pool of blood on two sides like it was coming out the entrance/exit holes. The tracks were large as expected. We also found where he rubbed up on the tree i shot him on and the mud went up to my pocket on my jeans. Of course we didnt get to look much in the pouring rain so we may have to hit it again this weekend. We didnt find any blood coming out of the thicket where we jumped him so it must have closed up over night but we dissected that thicket like a grid with machetes when it wasnt raining and couldnt find him. The unknown is killing me right now cause he only moved a few feet when we accidentally jumped him. He must have moved at night after we left, but then again with the heavy clean blood trail I thought for sure he was toast. Not giving up yet...even if i find him dead I want that Skull...

On the funnier side of things...On the way out of the property we spot 20 + hogs (most piglets) ON THE ROAD...so we immediately think Redneck drive-by with a bow...I got in the bed of the truck and we were going to ease down the road and i would shoot as the truck passed the pack...well they didnt spook whatsoever by the truck but my buddy driving hits the breaks to stop and my hamstring locks up in a bad cramp and i faceplant into the bed of my truck. sucked in the moment but priceless humor looking back. the hogs were at 10 yards looking at us and then jogged off...hilarious

Also I got a new blood tracker a few months ago and she can really track some blood right out of the box. The only problem is she is a lot more expensive than a dog. is anyone else having similar issues?
              Attached Files

Comment

Does your "blood tracker" have any more litter mates?

Comment

That's some tracker you have there!

Comment

Was she like that when you picked her up, or did you have to train her a little???

Comment

had to train her a bit but she already knows the ropes and we go to the range once a week to shoot. hopefully she can build a little strength to pull 40 lbs. she is around 30 lbs not and dont know if she is ready to stick a live animal but man she can shoot!

Comment

Good luck with findin the HOG..............and by the way.......way to go on your new tracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

this is my tracker, she's a pure bred

Comment

No updates in a while any luck finding the hog. Where were you hunting at?

Comment

Hunting in Pledger TX, going back today to do a little more searching and then hunting another area before the sun goes down. hopefully we a. find something or atleast see the buzzards circling or b. shoot another one.

Going to be really disappointing if I dont find that monster. Ill keep my head up until next week. He lost ALOT of blood, but then again he is a large hog so he may be tougher. It also leads me to believe I barely missed the vitals or only nicked them. If my shot was perfect then he would have been dead already. He was bedded but we jumped him. dumb on our part. We put the spot on the range finder and it was a 40 yard shot. Ill keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X