X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide angle snow opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Casey, is ISO 6400 (for example) the same at f/2.8 with the same lens as it would be on a 7D, as far as exposure levels go? I know there would be less noise, but do the histograms still look the same?
      Shane, I thought I had successfully deployed my tc on a night soccer game with stupid high ISOs but can't find an image. I do have some at f2.8, 6400 and even 12800 that came out strong enough to print. These are from poorly lit public soccer fields and soccer fields are gigantic. I crop a lot in other words. I think the 5DIII let me shoot these whereas the 7D would have been in the car. However, that Sigma 120-300 f2.8 didn't hurt either.

If you're selective in your shots, I bet 200mm on a football field at f2.8 ISO6400 will surprise you with the full frame. I don't find the difference in crop to be so limiting. I still have my 7D and it is covered in dust because I've learned to follow the action, get in better position and be more selective in my shots. I just love the full frame.

Here is an ISO 12800 (yes, 12800) image taken at f2.8 for 1/640 second on the 5DIII. It was cleaned up in lightroom. I assure you the lights at a public soccer field are no better than those at a small football stadium.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	24366838

Again, maybe the TC isn't the answer, but I promise you the high ISO performance coupled with crop capabilities and a better sensor should not be ignored.

Comment

Shane, all this advice will COST you in the long run

Comment

Very nice, Casey! I will definitely be getting that camera eventually. Lack of noise is amazing. Zach just has one more year of football though. I would need f/2.8 and at least 300mm if I went to full frame. That would get expensive, especially for just 1 season. If Zach was your son's age it would be well worth the investment for me.

My 70-200 works with the crop sensor 7D, and the high ISO shots are decent. Here's one at ISO 12800, f/2.8, and 1/500. A little more noise than the full frame, but I can live with it for one more season.

When we're at a field with enough light for ISO 6400, it helps a bunch. This one is ISO 6400, f/2.8 and 1/500.

Comment

I'm thinking I need that Sigma 120-300

Comment

I live in "bad light". Consequently this rig is fun.

This is f2.8 and 3200 ISO. It's hard to get my mind around 6400 but I guess I'll test that at some point. Our soccer season starts soon but we don't play under lights.

I cropped this one just a little to remove a door frame I didn't like so it's not as wide open as others.

The Fall by legdog, on Flickr
              Last edited by Legdog; 03-01-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I pulled this thread up again a few weeks ago and started getting the itch for an Ultra wide angle lens again. 24mm was the widest I have and have been wanting something in the 14-16mm range.

After looking over more of Legdogs pics with the Tammy I decided it needed to be in the bag...brown truck dropped it off today and so far I am blown away. Third party lenses are a gamble sometimes but Tamron really nailed it with this one. With the VC turned on i was comfortable taking shots down to 1/2 sec shutter speed hand held inside the house that were sharp.

Need to play around with it some more but so far it is extremely comparable to the 14-24 Nikon and even surpasses it in some aspects. That is saying a lot!

Comment

I am wanting some new glass also and was just looking at this the other day. Tempting....

Comment

I still use it all the time.

[IMG]WRL with Conrad-7 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

it's pretty good at long exposure too... 220 seconds here.

[IMG]flipper futuro-22 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fun to shoot a whole room.

[IMG]flipper futuro-4 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

one more...

[IMG]WRL-3 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Last edited by Legdog; 03-10-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Great pics Steven. So far I have only taken the obligatory new lens unboxing cat pictures and have been impressed with it on the D810. I needed something much wider for inside the duck blind and walking around travel lens and this fits the bill nicely. Never though I needed VR/VC on a wide angle but for handholding in low light this thing works great. Wish I would have had it when I was inside the churches and cathedrals in Barcelona.

Comment

Working...
                      X