No announcement yet.

Venison and Cholesterol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn't mention your lifestyle. Do you do any cardio? If not, start now and pay a little more attention to your eating habits. I think your blood test had a lot to do with what you ate in the previous few days.

When I was very fit, I couldn't get my cholesterol below 198. Last time I hit 230, and the doctor said my good cholesterol was perfect...so don't worry about anything. But, I still try to watch what I eat, which includes eating lunch out once a week and deer burgers weekly. Also run 10-12 miles a week.

Comment

The other thing about Cholesterol is that the body "flushes" it out and if you get tested when there is a dump it will read very high, but afterwards can give a low reading.

Comment

Keep in mind total cholesterol does not mean jack. HDL : triglyceride ratio is what you need to look at.

Personally, I’d rather have elevated total cholesterol than take statin drugs. But that’s just me.

Do your own research come to your own conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          I'm a fat guy and my good cholesterol has always been great. No clue why. Maybe genetics.
          Same here. My doctor told me my cholesterol should be high, that was twenty years ago. We eat about 80% venison to 20% beef in red meat, and have for a long time. It’s still not high. I think dustoffer has it right.

Comment

It's not red meat - it's fatty red meat like ribeyes and high fat content ground beef.

Lean red meat is recommended by the American Heart Association is key to reducing cholesterol. Also, most people eat too much food which increases overall cholesterol.

I struggled for a long time with high LDL, low Triglycercides (which is a good thing), high HDL (also good) and high overall cholesterol. I was 20+ pounds overweight.

Here's what I did to get and keep my numbers in check:
            Get and stay active. Exercise is key to keeping the heart working.

Lean meat - venison, red meat, lean ground beef, occasionally chicken (I do not prefer chicken), fish. Avoid cooking any food in oil.

Increase leafy green vegetables and other high fiber vegetables. Think of this as casting a fiber net to sweep the fat from blood vessels.

Take Metamucil once a day (again, a fiber net to clean up the blood).

Lose weight - eat only when hungry, drink water throughout the day, eat slowly and stop when full. I know my ideal weight is 150 pounds. If I get above 155, my cholesterol goes up.

Comment

great info guys. thank you. i do exercise. not a ton but 3-4 times a week. high reps with weights as well as treadmill/bike. hr or so a day when i do.

i would love to see the TRUE breakdown of venison good/bad cholesterol. the good the bad the ugly. the internet is a joke. also read alaska sika deer has almost NO cholesterol wonder why?

Comment

My cardiologist said if you are going to eat red meat, venison is a good choice. That is along with a lot of green, leafy fresh vegetables.

Eating more veggies than meat is great but exercising is just as important. Not weights, but hardcore cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                  Do your deer eat mostly wild edibles or do they mostly eat corn and protein from feeders.
                  Grass fed beef is a lot different than feedlot beef.
                  I'm sure deer are no different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  This. Just like what you eat affects your health, what the deer eat will affect theirs. And since you're eating them, yours. Not sure where you're at, but could try planting more alfalfa, clover, beans, etc.

Comment

A low dose statin was the only thing that brought my cholesterol down. I was above 230 even after I made dietary changes and started running 3-4 times a week to get off of my BP meds. I have always been on the thin side being 6ft and never over 190lbs. My doc thought it was unusual that my cholesterol stayed high after my changes and ran an indepth blood test. Basically he found that my high cholesterol is in my genetics and the 10mg statin has brought my cholesterol to less than 120.

Comment

Try the TPWD website they have a meat comparison chart that list great nutrition info for various meat and wild game

Comment

Working...
                      X