Trip advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip advice

Headed down from Minnesota the day after Christmas and planning our route. looking for additional things to do or see.
    So far, the plan is to drive to either Dallas and stay with friends, or get a hotel in Wichita Falls the first night. Day 2 is to try to get to the Salt Lick for a late lunch and head to Fredricksburg to see the WW2 museum. From there we are headed to a friends place near Junction for a few days to have my 8 year old shoot a doe or two and perhaps some exotics if it works out. From there, we plan to head west on I10 to Phoenix, AZ to drop my dad off for the winter and fly home Friday, January 4th. We did this trip last year, but drove home after the hunting in Junction. Looking forward to my son and father sharing this experience, and wondering if there's anything you'd recommend in addition to what we are planning. Also, I'll offer to express anything from MN, as long as it fits in a truck or trailer with a car in it.

In the for-what-its-worth column, post-Junction, I would venture S to Del Rio then take 90 into Alpine.

Gives you a chance to see the Gage Hotel and be on the cusp of Big Bend Natl Park in Marathon. Also, if you and your son (and Dad) are into stars, check out the McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis. Can stay at the Hotel Limpia in Ft Davis or the Indian Lodge in Davis Mntn State Park and have a day venture of it in the mountains of TX.

All are certainly worthwhile.

Sounds like a fun trip overall.

Comment

I would second taking US Hwy 90. You can see the Marfa lights, visit Alpine and see a real remote area of West Texas. I hear the Gage in Marathon is a great restaurant.

Comment

If you can spare the time to dip down and see the big bend, it would be worth your while.

Comment

Working...
        X