Leupold Scope thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leupold Scope thoughts

Been looking for a new hunting only optic. I run mils on my other optics and prefer ffp but i also dont want a large heavy tactical scope. I like the idea of using an illuminated duplex, like the firedot because I like to dial my shots instead of holdover. Heres my dilemma, i think the vx3i-LRP pretty much has what im looking for in ffp and mils but im not a fan of the tall turrets and the one I played with at Cabelas didnt have that great of a turret on it.

So, im wondering if i should go with the vx5hd, then have the custom shop make me a set of mil based CDS turrets to put on the scope. ( I read somewhere once that they can do plain mil or moa CDS). Then I can use the 3-15 x44 with the firedot duplex and dial in mils.

Ive looked at vortex, nightforce, leupold, meopta, and zeiss and so far this is the best solution I can come up with. What are yall's thoughts on going this route? Best i can tell is the upgrade to the vx5hd glass is better than the vx3i in lowlight.

Also, im open to other options if anyone has anything I may have overlooked.

Can they put a mil turret on an moa scope at leupold?

Comment

I didn’t think so, but I read on a couple of forums that they can change the turrets in the mk 4 line to mils and a couple of threads mentioned that they can make the cds dials mil based vs moa. I plan to call tomorrow and double check with the custom shop

Comment

I have two new Leupold VXR scopes in my garage right now with canted reticles. A friend had problems recently with a VX6HD that Leupold couldn’t get right. Hate to say it, but I might be done with them.

Comment

I'm probably around 90% Leupy on my rigs...I've seen them fix or replace scopes that fell out of deer blinds & take a roll down a caliche road. Best wnty in the biz & I'll continue to be loyal.

OP, I simply would call them up & see what they suggest.

Comment

I've got a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 CDS with the Firedot duplex that I was thinking about sending to the custom shop for the ZL-2 upgrade, but have been reading on other forums about the adjustments not being accurate and/or reliable? Supposedly with in 250 turns of the dial, you'll miss an 8" target at 400 yards.....what say the green screen?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter2989 View Post
              I didn’t think so, but I read on a couple of forums that they can change the turrets in the mk 4 line to mils and a couple of threads mentioned that they can make the cds dials mil based vs moa. I plan to call tomorrow and double check with the custom shop
              If you wouldn’t mind, post here about it. I have a mark 4 I’d like to change the M1 turrets to mils on as well

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                I've got a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 CDS with the Firedot duplex that I was thinking about sending to the custom shop for the ZL-2 upgrade, but have been reading on other forums about the adjustments not being accurate and/or reliable? Supposedly with in 250 turns of the dial, you'll miss an 8" target at 400 yards.....what say the green screen?
                I don’t dial any of my 2-12s but do on my 3-18s and never noticed an issue. Used them a ton in the past. Haven’t shot much in awhile due to work. Same thing was said about the mark 6 line and I’ve had several with no noticeable issues. I’d for sure notice a 2 minute change lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  If you wouldn’t mind, post here about it. I have a mark 4 I’d like to change the M1 turrets to mils on as well
                  For sure, from what I was reading, only certain mk4’s can get the turret swap. Here’s some of the info I was finding on the hide.

I'm pretty sure I remember that Leupold only does their Mil/Mil conversion on specific Mk4's ....not just any Mk4.

One was the 8.5-25x50mm (I remember that because I own one and plan to eventually swap it).

I don't recall anyone ever saying they would swap a VX series scope.

Although they will convert your VX to M1 turrets if you want.

Comment

I recently helped a friend mount a VX5HD and he’s loving it. Tracks perfectly and he’s got it dialed in out to 500. It’s mounted on a 6.5 creedmor. Glass is clear and it’s extremely compact compared to the others you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so I talked with Leupold, they confirmed I can buy a vx5hd then send it to the custom shop and they’ll swap both the windage and elevation turrets to mil. He also said they could do exposed or capped depending on my preference. Guy I talked with said it should cost about $200 ish for both turrets.

Comment

So with that info I’m thinking of ordering the vx5 3-15x44 with the illuminated duplex reticle. The rifle is currently a 308 but will be swapped to 7-08 and mainly be used for deer hunting here in Texas. Most of the time I won’t be dialing elevation a lot but sometimes I’ll need to dial out to about 400. I’m thinking I like the size, weight and better glass/low light on the vx5 over the vx3. Anyone have any opinions on the vx3 vs vx5 clarity and lowlight performance

Comment

I've got 2 of the VXR 4-12 Firedot-G TMR's, one of which on a 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got no complaints on it and like the compact design. The other is still new in box in wrapper, so I'm really hoping it doesn't have a canted reticle like BolilloLoco has...

Comment

Working...
                          X