Looking for a new truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new truck

Ford F-150 , Chevy 1500 or Toyata ? Needs to be a 4 Door and not stupid priced. I don't mind paying for it, but 50K plus for a half ton truck is stupid.

F150 or Chevy

New trucks are 'stupid' I bought mine new in 15 but a 3 y/o with all the options will be a much better deal than a new base model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

If us stupid people did not buy new trucks there would not be any used trucks.

Comment

Of those three, I believe its a pick your poison type thing.

Toyota will hold is value longer, but fuel milage will be worse off than the others. They are nice trucks though and can't go wrong with one.

I picked up a '16 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 40,000 miles for $31k a few weeks ago. It has the 5.0 Coyote. Its plenty of truck and I am really enjoying it.

My wife's '15 Yukon I like as well, which will have the same interior and motor as the Silverado/Sierra.

I was basically shopping for 1 of those 3 and I couldn't touch a Toyota with the same milage and age as a Ford, Chevy/GMC. My brother is in a '14 Chevy and he said when he gets rid of it, he'll buy another Ford due to ride quality. That and the 5.0 led me to the F150.
        Last edited by Sleepy; 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I just went all in on the Nissan Titans. I bought a left over 17' regular titan 4x4 5.6 gas and a 2wd gasser for cheap. I also bought a 18' Titan XD with the Cummins. I got it cheap compared to the big 3 diesels but it does not have the same tow rating or the big torque numbers either. So far I have been impressed with both but time will tell. There is a post on here and several members showing off the Cummins XD's that might be worth looking at...http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=titan

Comment

They just don't build them like they use to. My pick would be Tundra for full size.
            Last edited by altez; 08-20-2018, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altez View Post
              They just don't build them like they use to. My pick would be Tundra for full size.

In what way?

Vehicles last as long if not longer than ever these days. I handed down my Z71 to my son and it has over 250k miles on it and running strong.

Properly maintained modern trucks will easily get 200k miles. Most people just don’t keep them that long any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have had great luck with chevy/gmc. All of them have gotten over 250,000 before have to do any significant repairs.

-john

Comment

In 14 I test drove all 3 and ended up ordering a Chevy LTZ with 6.5' bed and 6.2 liter motor and have never regretted my choice yet. I think drive out was 46K and then I installed my lift myself and spray in bed liner myself. I didn't get the Toyota because the bed is too short for me and the Ford was kind of spongy on the ride. I have a friend that has a F-150 Platinum and the seats are not as comfortable as mine, even he said that. Go test drive them all and pick what suites your needs. Just FYI my last truck was F-150 and had 225K miles on it and 1 transmission rebuild, 10+ coils, water pump and spark plug blown out, 2001 model. The one before that Chevy Z-71 94 model, 250K miles and one water pump and fuel pump.
                  Last edited by deerplanter; 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    In what way?

Vehicles last as long if not longer than ever these days. I handed down my Z71 to my son and it has over 250k miles on it and running strong.

Properly maintained modern trucks will easily get 200k miles. Most people just don’t keep them that long any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I would say people don't use trucks like trucks are meant to be used these days, and that is why they last so long.

For example, truck beds are taller, so when you have to lean over them to set a tool box down, or grab a tool in the bed, you dent and scratch the panel because the steel is thinner than it used to be. But hey, you save a hundred pounds, which allows for slightly better MPG's, which for some reason people care about in a truck.

Trucks these days make more power, but they are certainly less durable than they used to be. I remember when I could push a car with my bumper and not even scratch it. Do that with my 2012 Superduty, my bumper would be toast.

OP,

All half ton trucks have their issues, especially when buying used. I suggest just getting out there and driving them, to see which one you like best, and make sure its known issue is something you can live with, or pay to fix.

Comment

If you go Ford, I hate to say this, but avoid the Ecoboost. There is a common coolant leak at the turbo, very prevalent in the 2013-2015 models, but since no design changes have been made I expect the 2016’s and newer will start reporting issues soon. The leak appears around 40,000-60,000 miles.

At the end of July, Ford and Chevy had their 2018’s marked down $9,000-$11,000, with better deals available if you looked hard enough. I checked out a $53k Chevy truck LT2 Z71 that was marked down to $38k. It was loaded and seemed nice, but it didn’t have the oomph that the Ford 5.0 has and drove very sluggish. The F150 I ended up buying was a $49,000 truck marked down to $36,000. I can only imagine the deals on 2018’s will get better as the year goes on.

One thing I liked about shopping for Chevy trucks is that the trim line is what it is. There are some available individual options, but if it’s an LT, you pretty much know what you’re getting. With Ford, an XLT could be 9000 different configurations, and it was frustrating trying to find a truck with the 3 or 4 must have features I wanted.

Comment

I'm looking at a real nice used 2013 Ford XLT 4x4 56k miles (crew cab) with the 5.0. Good engine? Last Ford I owned was a '97 f250.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          I'm looking at a real nice used 2013 Ford XLT 4x4 56k miles (crew cab) with the 5.0. Good engine? Last Ford I owned was a '97 f250.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          Yes. Go drive one. Put it in Sport Mode

Comment

For reliability and resale go with a Tundra IMO.

Comment

maybe look at Dodge, good prices on a new 18'

Comment

Working...
                              X