Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Can we get a thread going talking about all things AR? Just kind of a barage of AR and Tacticool Gun related questions? How about it?

Just to start it off!

I really want a Magpul Lower! Though I could get an OBR for the same price! But man a 6.8 SBR with a Magpul Lower would be well.... you know what it is. I love me some Magpul products.

Chuck Norris stole a cupcake from Chris Costa.... once.

Chris Costa's beard is so awesome it stopped a .50 cal bullet in its tracks!

To test Pmags for durability Chris used to stare at them. None survived so they now use a picture, still almost none make it (hence the shortage).

This thread should be dedicated to AR and tacticool Mil type weapon builds and questions, of any type, that way there is a link to a single solitary thread, to keep the same questions from popping up!

So what builds are yall working on? Any sweet new awesomeness unveiled that anyone needs to know about?

Finished my Spikes lower with Magpul CTR, enhanced trigger guard, B.A.D. lever, CAA grip, RRA LPK, Superior Shooting trigger springs and Redi-Mag. Haven't had much time to fiddle with it. Will start building a Spikes upper pretty soon with YHM barrel, Troy MRF 13.8", low profile GB, flip sights, EOTech. Kinda still up in the air on certain things.
    Last edited by slacker; 04-26-2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

AR-15:

Underpowered varmint rifle burdened by a crummy magazine design. Nasty direct-impingement gas system that poops where it eats. High sight line, flimsy alloy-and-plastic construction. Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison, and Brownells addicts who a.) enjoy spending three times the cost on the rifle on bolt-on accoutrements, and b.) never have to use their rifle away from a dry, sunny range.

luv ya man

Comment

The Mosin-Nagant:
        This unpronounceable rifle has a long history of military service. Napoleon reportedly had one. The unusually long 91/30 barrel combined with bayonet insures that it should be especially useful should a SHTF scenario involve the “redcoats” coming. The major drawback of this rifle is that it is a bolt action, which could make firing the prerequisite thousands of rounds at approaching bad guys difficult. However, if the Mosin owner and the bad guys are patient, one should be able to sling enough lead downrange by the time they are older than their rifle currently is. Like other eastern block rifles, the Mosin also is not black. This may be a possible reason why the Soviets lost the cold war. However, like the SKS and AK, western vendors have corrected this problem by offering an aftermarket stock in black. Unfortunately, none are available with a pistol grip. If Napoleon’s Mosin had a pistol grip, he may have very well conquered the world, but that’s another discussion. Other “carbine” type Mosins are also available, which would be the perfect compliment if one’s SHTF plan includes charging at bad guys on horseback while wearing a fur hat, swinging a curved saber and swilling a bottle of vodka.

Comment

Some more favorites!

Here you go Mike!

Glock:

Butt-ugly plastic shooting appliance with the ergonomics of a caulking gun. Five-pound trigger with no external safety makes it ill suited for its target market (cops who shoot a hundred rounds a year for qualification). Favored by gangbangers because the product name is short and rhymes with other short, rap-friendly words.

10mm Auto:

Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often underloaded to wimpy levels (see “.40 S&W”), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.

Comment

i have no clue what yall are talking about, but Travis, i sure like shooting them

Comment

I have a 6.8SPC Spr..... 18" wilson combat barrel, fluted, stainless steel, AAC mount. Using a Spikes Tactical lower and an UBR stock. Sucker is heavy! But fun.

Next will be an M4gery.... an A2 w/ no optics for Appleseed and just plain rifle marksmanship training for anybody who wants to learn.

And last, which won't happen until next year, will be a 6.8 SBR 10.5", with matching 5.56 upper.

Favorite things: Magpul Pmags, CTR, Enhanced triggers, and ranger plates. I dream in FDE.... I want a UDE colored OBR

Needless to say, I have expensive tastes.... Oh.... and I got to hold an SR15 and an LWRC REPR this weekend. I'm in love!

EDIT TO ADD:

a picture is worth a thousand words:

Pre-UBR

Comment

Originally posted by leebtattoos View Post
                i have no clue what yall are talking about, but Travis, i sure like shooting them
                Ditto!

Comment

Awesome! Only thing I am hot on is removing weight, I love my Larue, but man I hate a heavy gun, my 16" and SBR's all stay with lightweight rail systems. KAC Ras M4 or Magpul MOE handguards with Ergo rails.

My 6.8 is going with a Magpul MOE middy handguard.
                  Kind of annoyed though, my spikes build is 4 weeks out!! Grr!

I'm starting my M40A3 build now as well!

After that is a M40A3 in 300 win, and a target .22

Originally posted by sneedb82 View Post
                  I have a 6.8SPC Spr..... 18" wilson combat barrel, fluted, stainless steel, AAC mount. Using a Spikes Tactical lower and an UBR stock. Sucker is heavy! But fun.

Next will be an M4gery.... an A2 w/ no optics for Appleseed and just plain rifle marksmanship training for anybody who wants to learn.

And last, which won't happen until next year, will be a 6.8 SBR 10.5", with matching 5.56 upper.

Favorite things: Magpul Pmags, CTR, Enhanced triggers, and ranger plates. I dream in FDE.... I want a UDE colored OBR

Needless to say, I have expensive tastes.... Oh.... and I got to hold an SR15 and an LWRC REPR this weekend. I'm in love!

EDIT TO ADD:

a picture is worth a thousand words:

Pre-UBR

Comment

Agree with the weight issue. The Troy TRX Extreme is light, but not nearly as light as the DD Lite Rail or the URX... However, for my purposes, the Troy will stay on there. it's only heavy because of the bipod and bipod mount. They add almost as much weight to the barrel as the barrel itself. And the barrel is only 28 oz...fluted in addition.

The UBR is heavy, but it balances the muzzle rise with the 6.8 on a bipod *if you're not holding it, you need more balance*.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                      Awesome! Only thing I am hot on is removing weight, I love my Larue, but man I hate a heavy gun, my 16" and SBR's all stay with lightweight rail systems. KAC Ras M4 or Magpul MOE handguards with Ergo rails.

My 6.8 is going with a Magpul MOE middy handguard.
                      Kind of annoyed though, my spikes build is 4 weeks out!! Grr!

I'm starting my M40A3 build now as well!

After that is a M40A3 in 300 win, and a target .22
                      Travis call, text, or pm me!

Comment

just bolted the optics on the 6.8 last night
                        tommyH is assembling my last complete lower now, pics to follow tonight

travis, I agree,
                        there is nothing cooler than a china-doll lower from Magpul

Comment

Today's Debate.

Which Grip system/design do you prefer best? Rank your top 3.

I have to go with Ergo ergonomics, angle that my hand slides into, grip is phenomenal, durability is good, storage is decent.

Second I have to go with Hogue overmolded, decent grip, decent storage, kiss design

Magpul MIAD pre rubber over mold, rubber over molding may move it up the list, best storage, half decent grip, ok angle, needs rubber.

Comment

Man yall are making me drool and want a black rifle bad......must...get... wife's bow first

Comment

Two more weeks and my OBR should be here.

Decided this week that Im going to put together a 300 whisper now that CorBon is selling bullets for it.

If you want a good laugh, check out the Costa photoshop thread going on in the General Section on ARFCOM.

Comment

Working...
                              X