Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMW View Post
    Awesome I will be tuned in! Another question I have is about the reliability and customer service of Flir, my Pulsar has been bulletproof not so sure about the Flir products?
    Good question. Pulsar customer service/warranty support is top notch and they definitely set the bar for this industry. FLIR's customer service has gone down hill over the past year but they just finalizing a very large restructuring of the hunting optics division. This includes everything from letting all the old Armasight employees go, moving their manufacturing facility for hunting optics, moving the shipping facility, moving the billing to another division of the company, letting one of the field reps go.....there has been a lot of changes happening over the last 6 months and customer service has suffered because of it. The claim is with all this re-structuring they are putting themselves into a better position to offer much improved customer service. They are rolling out a customer portal where the end user can go in and register, explain the problems they are having with their device and automatically get return authorizations and ship their scope in for repair/replacement etc. I've seen the portal software and if this all works like it's supposed to, it's going to be really good.

Here is thing....FLIR is a Fortune 500 company and they aren't going anywhere, although it's worth noting their hunting optics division isn't that big. They are going to take care of their customers but there are times the customer service isn't going to be at the same level as a company like Pulsar that has 1/40th as many employees as FLIR. They are just a huge company and sometimes they operate that way. I would personally have no problem buying a FLIR. The only major brand I won't personally buy right now is an ATN. With all that said, yes Pulsar has by far the best customer service and they beat FLIR like a red headed step child in that department.

Comment

I use to sneak up on them with no problem, but now they have been educated. If they see lights from my truck or ranger coming down the main road they move out quickly, I think they can hear me also coming down the gravel road because I’ve tried turning off my lights. Now I haul *** towards them in my truck and shoot out my window. I’ve tried waiting on them before dark but you might sit 3-5 hours before they come out. I like to go every night and make my rounds and kill a few.

I hear ya I’ve taken too walking a pretty good ways to hit them. In fact open invite if anyone has a electric hunting buggy and if they don’t mind stacking pork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

kentli battery,s

has anyone tryed kentli recharable battery,s in photon rt. are they safe in photon the x site guys swear by them.

Comment

jason would you know anything on kentli battey,s

Comment

Ordered the Flir Pts536 this afternoon from ya. Thanks for all the info Jason

Comment

It’s been a while, but had a decent night Thurs. 4 down and clipped a coyote. And spotted a huge boar about 400yds on the neighbors property... hoping he’ll migrate north [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by bearhunter View Post
                Is this for the older XT models or the RT model? If it's the RT I'd highly suggest using the rechargeable Pulsar DNV battery packs. A 2 pack with a charger is $79 and that's probably not much if any more than you'll pay for the 8 Kentlis it would take to run it. The DVN battery packs last about 40% longer than 4 alkaline AA's so they should way out last any rechargeable AA's. https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...=2552445796373

If this is for a Photon XT....

I've heard good things about Kentli. I had a customer tell me he was using them in his Photon T with good success but I have not confirmed that or heard enough to say it's 100% true. With that said, I be they will do fine if they work good in the X-Sights.

Alkaline AA batteries are 1.5v and most rechargeables are 1.2v and that's the real problem. A lot of devices, especially high drain devices like NV optics, have a pretty high voltage threshold for when they turn off. Many thermal optics won't even turn on with rechargeable 123A batteries in them because of their lower voltage. My understanding is that the Kentli AA rechargeable batteries are 1.5v and that's a huge advantage they have to powering the scope and for longer than most AA rechargeables.

Ok I'm rambling.lol Hope that helps a little.

Jason

Comment

Ordered the Flir Pts536 this afternoon from ya. Thanks for all the info Jason
                  Thank you SO much! I didn't realize that order was from you. I really appreciate it man.

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                  It’s been a while, but had a decent night Thurs. 4 down and clipped a coyote. And spotted a huge boar about 400yds on the neighbors property... hoping he’ll migrate north [emoji16]
                  Dang you're hammering them hard with the Pulsar Apex! Nice job!

Comment

Popped a couple more last night with the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by bearhunter View Post

I know you were asking Jason, and I only have 2 X Sights, (first and second versions) but the preformance of kentli batteries blew me away compared to other batteries I tried in them. I ended up buying 2 more sets of 4 once I used the original set I bought. They are similar to a lithium in that they have a constant 1.5 output until they die. Using them was the first time that I could use the standby mode on my xsight II without killing the battery quickly.

Comment

Just put an order in for a photon. Can’t wait to get it and try it out.

Comment

Has it been slow hunting for everyone else like our group and my buddies locally?

Acorns, wet year, and plenty of food has them hiding

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            Has it been slow hunting for everyone else like our group and my buddies locally?

It's been good for me in Seguin on farmland. Slow in Leander, but that may have more to do with development than food sources.

Comment

Awesome photos everyone

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

I had a boy call the other day and say he bumped a sounder of about thirty mid day, I haven’t run into any at night in a while though on both properties. They must think the boogey man is after them [emoji48]

Comment

Working...
                                X