Hunting with Hornady Black Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting with Hornady Black Ammo

Has anyone used the Hornady Black Ammo on coyotes and/or prairie dogs? If so, how does it work? I have heard it groups well, but am curious about using it as predator ammo. I would be using it in a 6.5 CM.

My only experience with it on an animal probably isn’t the best gauge. Only one yote at 100 yds DRT. Hoping to use it on some pigs soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.

TTT. Anyone else.

Comment

I've shot probably 5 coyotes and probably 80 hogs with it. It works

Comment

Shoot the 6.8 SPC Hornady Black with the 110 gr V Max and it worked great on coyotes and hogs.

Comment

Shot a hog about a foot longer than the ranger is wide. No movement after the shot. I would have no issue with it

Comment

For just killing or saving fur? It'll definitely work on prairie dogs. I've seen coyotes that were tore up after getting shot with the 6.5CM. I'd imagine Hornady Black would do about the same. I've shot Hornady Black in a .300 Blackout and I wasn't overly impressed on hogs. But that's a hog and probably a completely different bullet loaded in it.

Comment

I completely forgot I shot both bucks last yr with it.
                1 buck was shot at 210yds out of a 12.5” SBR and DRT’d it.
                2nd buck was at 95yds and DRT’d it as well.
                In fact all of these were shot with my 12.5” 6.5 G SBR in the last yr. Not including about another 30-40 pigs.

Last edited by lglidewell; 09-04-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                  I completely forgot I shot both bucks last yr with it.
                  1 buck was shot at 210yds out of a 12.5” SBR and DRT’d it.
                  2nd buck was at 95yds and DRT’d it as well.
                  In fact all of these were shot with my 12.5” 6.5 G SBR in the last yr. Not including about another 30-40 pigs.

Well, that shows it can be used for hunting. Thanks.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I will say my Creedmoor didn’t like the Hornady Black, but loves the Superformance 129gt SST’s and the ELD-X.

Comment

I’ve killed quite a few hogs, coyotes, and prairie dogs with 75 gr 223 Black BTHPs, and even a mule deer doe at 236 with it. None out of the 6.5 though. Been meaning to give the 105 BTHPs a try in 6 Creed though.

Comment

I ran the Black .308, 168gr on deer and red stag with great results. Would expect the same in 6.5 with any of the ELD or Amax bullets.

I wouldn't recommend the BTHP on game- I've had inconsistent results...some times DRT sometimes not. NEVER had that issue with tipped Hornadys though.

Comment

Ya’ll do realize the the “Black” is just a marketing thing right?

Comment

Kilt many a pig with it and a doe. No issues on my end.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X