No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel AR problems, looking for ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a spare barrel you can try? Caliber doesn’t really matter and it’s just going to cost a little wrench time but that’ll let you narrow the issue down a bit.

I don’t use BCA but I have heard they are hit and miss aspreviously mentioned. It would be kind of difficult to believe the barrel is the issue if, as you said, it’s doing the exact same thing with 2 different barrels from the same manufacturer but it’s definitely not impossible.

Comment

Make sure bolt matches the barrel headspacing requirement(.125 vs .136). Had a bad 6.8 barrel once that did the same thing. Replaced it with a barrel from bison and it shot great. Sounds like bad barrels to me.

Comment

I’d replace the barrel and go with a reputable manufacturer, a buddy has had 2 of those barrels and sent both of them back.

Comment

It's the barrel. BCA grendel bbl's are known for this, they make a good x39 bbl though.

Comment

Hornady Black has been terrible for me. I gave away what I had left.

Comment

I just got a 450 BM from BCA friday it shot awesome. No malfunctions and all 3 shots touching when I did my part. I was very impressed with quality for the price.

Comment

Its hard for me to believe two different barrels shooting that bad? But I do not know what to tell you to try other than different ammo and go from there.

Ammo would be easiest change
                Try different bolt
                Try different barrel

Comment

I personally know of 4 such barrels and 1 replacement that all exhibit the same problem. One is mine. Call them up and get your money back.

Comment

I finally got my hands on another box of ammo- Hornady SST's. I'm going to take 3 shots with it as it sits to rule out the ammo. I have a borrowed BCG to try as well. Then it's off and back to Primary for a different brand. Tired of wasting money on ammo through it.

Comment

Originally posted by lightacres View Post
                      Make sure bolt matches the barrel headspacing requirement(.125 vs .136).
                      How are you measuring that?

Comment

Look at this thread and the last post#19 explains the .125" vs the .136" head space on the bolt.
                        Last edited by Killer; 08-07-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=679680
                          Look at this thread and the last post#19 explains the .125" vs the .136" head space on the bolt.
                          FWIW, that post does not at all explain how to measure the headspace, which is what he asked.

Bear, your barrel sucks. Yes, the second one. Send it back.

Ask yourself if it would have been worth the time and money you've wasted to just go with a high-quality barrel in the first place. Best of luck in your search.

Comment

Said screw it and pulled the barrel and returned it today. Didn’t want to waste any more time or effort on it. Put the store credit towards an assembled upper from Ghost Firearms. Primary had them on sale. Shot it this evening with the Hornady Black and Hornady SST’s, both 123 grain. Little over MOA from both. Moved over to the 350 steel and rang it 6 times in a row once I figured out the holdover. The scope I have on it right now doesn’t have dialable turrets or reticle, so I had to guess. Took 5 or 6 to get on it. Then moved to 615 yard steel and I hit it first shot on a WAG holdover. Then hit it 12 of 14 between me and my buddy that was along for the ride. Satisfied with this upper. Now time to go into load development.

Comment

Good to hear progress has been made!

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                                said screw it and pulled the barrel and returned it today. Didn’t want to waste any more time or effort on it. Put the store credit towards an assembled upper from ghost firearms. Primary had them on sale. Shot it this evening with the hornady black and hornady sst’s, both 123 grain. Little over moa from both. Moved over to the 350 steel and rang it 6 times in a row once i figured out the holdover. The scope i have on it right now doesn’t have dialable turrets or reticle, so i had to guess. Took 5 or 6 to get on it. Then moved to 615 yard steel and i hit it first shot on a wag holdover. Then hit it 12 of 14 between me and my buddy that was along for the ride. Satisfied with this upper. Now time to go into load development.
                                which bcg are you running with this ghost upper? also did you get the 20" or 24"
                                Last edited by 2BigMethod; 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X