No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great review as always Jason, might be looking very serious at that optic in the future!BTW thanks for fixing my video link.

Comment

Ok, I'm in on this thread. I'm thinking about NV for my AR. I'm tried o the hogs getting away with it when the sun goes down. What's the cost of NV and What's a good beginner's unit?

I'm already shooting suppressed, but now I've got the NV bug.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        Ok, I'm in on this thread. I'm thinking about NV for my AR. I'm tried o the hogs getting away with it when the sun goes down. What's the cost of NV and What's a good beginner's unit?

Budget is everything. You can spend four hundred dollars on a scope or ten thousand dollars on a scope. This is not an exaggeration.

Decide your budget, ping Jason @ Outdoor Legacy Gear, and go from there.

Welcome to the addiction.

Comment

Budget, budget, budget. It really all just depends on what you are willing to spend. 35Rem is right, you can spend $500 or you can spend $10,000. And to be honest, there are more guys in this thread with $500-$700 optics than anything else and they will definitely get the job done on a budget.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll answer all your questions and hopefully point you in the right direction. No pressure to by, no hard sales, just free advice, I promise ya that. I use NV and thermal 7 days a week and I'll be glad to offer up my 2 cents.

(877)350-1818

- Jason

Comment

I would save up for the next level up that you want to spend. Been there done that and seen many people regret it and wish they did this

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
              Budget, budget, budget. It really all just depends on what you are willing to spend. 35Rem is right, you can spend $500 or you can spend $10,000. And to be honest, there are more guys in this thread with $500-$700 optics than anything else and they will definitely get the job done on a budget.

Feel free to call me anytime and I'll answer all your questions and hopefully point you in the right direction. No pressure to by, no hard sales, just free advice, I promise ya that. I use NV and thermal 7 days a week and I'll be glad to offer up my 2 cents.

(877)350-1818

- Jason

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                I would save up for the next level up that you want to spend. Been there done that and seen many people regret it and wish they did this

I can vouch for that. I was budgeting for a Trail XQ38 and got a Trail XQ50 instead, it’s a jam up scope and I’m glad I’d saved some extra and got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                  I can vouch for that. I was budgeting for a Trail XQ38 and got a Trail XQ50 instead, it’s a jam up scope and I’m glad I’d saved some extra and got it.

I went a bit different direction. I was thinking around $5k but decided a Trail XQ38 was sufficient. I then added a Core RXQ30 (after using a Photon one weekend) to use primarily as a handheld that could also be used on a second rifle when we have company. I’m pleased with my choices.

Comment

All good choices. What I can say almost universally is that once you look through thermal, you won’t want to hunt at night with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                      Thanks that's very helpful. My advice is to do this.....

Completely un-mount the scope from the rings.

Move the front ring to the back and back ring to the font.

When remounting the scope, be sure to slowly tighten down the front and back rings evenly. Meaning, don't tighten down the front ring and then do the back. Do them slowly all at the same time to ensure the scope doesn't get in any direction.

If there is something wrong with the scope you will still be maxed out and low. If anything changes and you are now shooting high, left, right, dead on etc there was a mounting problem.

If you are do all this and you are 6-7" high and maxed out at 25 yards you have a defective ring. Switching the rings front to back will show us if a defective ring is causing the problem because the problem (shooting low) will not be reversed and you'd be shooting high.

In all the times I've dealt with this I've never seen a defective ring but I have seen defective one piece mounts. I've seen 3 defective Photons related to this issue over the last 5 years but I've seen countless mounting problems, including it happening to me personally more than 1 time.

If this doesn't help, I'd suggest calling your dealer and seeing if he has any more suggestions. Let me know if you have more questions.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I'll give it a try and report back!

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        All good choices. What I can say almost universally is that once you look through thermal, you won’t want to hunt at night with anything else.
                        AMEN! NV doesn't even compare

Comment

He gone!!!

I’m starting to see why some of y’all got teenagers. Sure was nice having help fetching the ranger and loading 175# of pork in it!!!

Comment

Friday night - 2 boars
                            Saturday night - 3 boars (1 ran off) and a sow. 12.5” 6.5 Grendel - Pulsar Apex XQ50

Comment

The Hogs Have Been In Invisible Stealth Mode Lately...

The other night I walked in after seeing no hogs for the past 5 nights and told my wife.. "Babe we've got a hog problem.. the problem is I haven't seen any hogs lately!!" She looked at me like I was an idiots which is her go-to look for when I talking about anything that she could care less about.. haha! No hogs is a good thing but it looks like I'll have to start patrolling some of our other fields away from the house.. No more lazy front porch hunting for me.. Got a couple hunts here where I caught a couple lonely boars slippin'... What are y'all seeing out there??

https://youtu.be/nxOFl6iWimU

Comment

Night Vision hunting Thread

I see dead hogs [emoji16][emoji203]

And like @Lip stated a possible Core RXQ30 in the future [emoji849]☠️☠️☠️🤣🤣🤣

My hoopty fetcher for the weekend got him one last night on the neighbors place and I shot a small sick sow.

Last edited by Russ81; 05-06-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X