I need some help figuring cabin piers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some help figuring cabin piers

Is there a standard, overbuilt, this is what you can do and you wont have issues, sort of thing for laying out piers on a single story purdy simple cabin, or do I need to contact a structural engineer and have them come get soil samples and all that jazz. I am trying to pay cash as I go and I just cringe to think what one of those fellas would charge. That being said I really have no idea what they charge so if I am an idiot just let me know.
    Last edited by Rubberdown; 09-15-2015, 01:32 PM.

I have been thinking about a big shop myself and talked to a guy that does dirt work foundations and all that. I don't think it matters if you plan to do pier and beam or a slab I think you should have soil samples done. I put in a pad for my trailer house with 60-40 mix sand and clay. I have been living there about 15-16 years, and I have had to have my house leveled about 3-4 times. The land shifts and settles a lot more than you think.

Comment

Depends on your soul composition. If it is sandy you want to drill deeper. When I was doing this stuff it varies drastically on depth. Also depends on the weight that will be supporting. I think in sandy soul we went 15' with a bell drill. When they hit target depth they bell it out on the bottom to support more weight. So you have a 6" or 4" hole drilled but at the bottom it will bell out to 8 or 10 inches.

Comment

Give us something to go on; what is the size of the cabin? What is the soil generally like? Are you prepared to use an auger drive to drill the piers? Can you get a concrete truck to the site?

Comment

I drill piers we use a 12" auger and they are belled out to 36" at the bottom. We usally drill between 8-15 ft depending on soil. I charge $110 a hole.

Comment

What county are you building your cabin? Have a small eng company in this area that will do soil samples for you

Comment

If it was me I'd get the specs from the city of Houston and go from there.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443320196.891832.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24407032
                Here is how I'm doing mine. Extremely heavy log house going on top of them. Logs are 14" diameter on the small end.

Comment

Working...
                X