Deer Protein question per contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rtree1 View Post
    I want on this lease , do you have any openings?
    Not right now but "pm" your info and I'll let you know, we may have some before season starts if people don't have all there money in.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
      Just another reason I'm not on a lease. When I pay money to hunt deer, that's what I want to do. I don't get on to "feed" deer!!!
      Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
      ???
      Oh, I'm just sayin I know some guys that pay like 3500 for a spot, then must feed protein. They tell me the feed bill is sometimes more than the lease spot. Then, after all that, they might or might not kill a nice buck. I see a lot where there is a open spot on a lease, one of the rules is it's mandatory to feed protein. This is what I mean. If I'm going to be paying a lot of money to deer hunt, that's what I want to do, hunt.

Comment

The price you state for usage thus far is roughly 2 tons of protein. If he started feeding in February using volunteer protein troughs that's 160 bags used in 5 stations or 32 bags/ station ytd. That's roughly 6 bags per month which is moderate usage for those type stations.

My point is he's pretty close to what I would expect in terms of consumption so far.

Feeding protein in the covered troughs that way is the most effective delivery system if you want results. Coons, hogs, squirrels, birds will get their share and that just bugs some guys to no end.

It's not cheap by any means but feeding protein half arsed produces disappointing results. Our club took 3-4 seasons to build up "psychologically/ emotionally" to what's required and we lost some folks unwilling to pay the price.

But we took two deer over 170 last season and have been getting multiple 160's each season recently. In east Texas, no less.

Comment

For those feeding protein

Do you have age harvest requirements? Penalties....?

Can't see benefit if members are horn hunters and shoot all the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old bucks

Comment

I want on Pineywoods Pauls lease!

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post

Can't see benefit if members are horn hunters and shoot all the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old bucks
              Yes there are rules/requirements/penalties on most serious trophy ranches. That does take some fun out of hunting in the beginning but you are rewarded 5-10 years into the program when the herd really starts showing signs of improvement and most hunters are having opportunities at trophy bucks. That’s when it all becomes worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Good deal. Sounds like a plan. I wish I had someone filling my feeders for me. Good luck this season.
                Haha, me too! I just spent $775 to buy feed to fill mine and my son's feeders on my lease. This was corn and protein, we had everything completely full April 13th. This does not include 12 bags I already had at camp or our travel expense and effort to put it out. And we are just 2 hunters on a big lease. There does not seem to be a limit of what the deer will eat.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post

Absolutely!! Mature bucks preferably 5.5 or older is essential or you’re wasting your $.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                    I want on Pineywoods Pauls lease!
                    We have a waiting list and it’s not a cheap club - so not for everyone. We’ve been together on this place for 20 plus years and have evolved. This was our biggest buck last season scoring 182 5/8”.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Our lease is 5k per spot in the hill country and that does not include feed. Each person can choose to feed protein if they desire. About half of us do and we do kill the biggest deer each year. I use about 1.5 tons per month in my one feeder and the feed store fills it up for me which is awesome. 1.5 tons will last from September- January then it's about 1-1.5 tons per month from February - august. Protein feeding is not cheap and not for everyone. You can kill a bigger deer on a day hunt for cheaper but there's something to be said about putting in the work and seeing the results eventually. Best of luck to yall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                        Oh, I'm just sayin I know some guys that pay like 3500 for a spot, then must feed protein. They tell me the feed bill is sometimes more than the lease spot. Then, after all that, they might or might not kill a nice buck. I see a lot where there is a open spot on a lease, one of the rules is it's mandatory to feed protein. This is what I mean. If I'm going to be paying a lot of money to deer hunt, that's what I want to do, hunt.
                        Oh ok, yea, we are only going to fill them one more time this year, if they run out, too bad, go eat some grass...

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
                          The price you state for usage thus far is roughly 2 tons of protein. If he started feeding in February using volunteer protein troughs that's 160 bags used in 5 stations or 32 bags/ station ytd. That's roughly 6 bags per month which is moderate usage for those type stations.

My point is he's pretty close to what I would expect in terms of consumption so far.

Feeding protein in the covered troughs that way is the most effective delivery system if you want results. Coons, hogs, squirrels, birds will get their share and that just bugs some guys to no end.

It's not cheap by any means but feeding protein half arsed produces disappointing results. Our club took 3-4 seasons to build up "psychologically/ emotionally" to what's required and we lost some folks unwilling to pay the price.

But we took two deer over 170 last season and have been getting multiple 160's each season recently. In east Texas, no less.
                          We have 5 protein feeders at 1500#

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
                            We have 5 protein feeders at 1500#
                            If those 1500 lb feeders were only filled once in Feb and lasted until May that’s actually about 350 lbs / month each. We use about 350-400 lbs a month per open trough on our east Texas ground. But we try to have a trough for every 150 acres.

Comment

Working...
                            X