Best single shot one hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jakesfish View Post
    Dang Blake, that made me drool, good looking rifle..!!!!
    What caliber is it..??
    .223 - 1:14" twist to shoot 50-55 gr pills at predators

sold it 4-5 yrs ago to build another custom rifle

Comment

My Ruger No. 1 in 25/06 is a one-holer with a slightly over max load of 4831, but not at 300 yards. One hundred, one ragged hole most times, sometimes not. May be the shooter ? No upgrades to trigger, no "accuracy block", just the heavy barrel it came with. And it won't get there with any factory load I ever tried. I have head shot three turkeys at 100 to 150 yards when hunting over feeders in the past. I've never attempted a head shot with any other deer rifle. This rifle has retired and will go to my best friend when I kick out, if he's still on the high side of the grass (all my friends are old, some are just younger than me)

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Wait wait....every gun sold in the classifieds is a "tack driver" or "cloverleaf widowmaker" and y'all are telling me there are no one hole guns?..

I am sad..
        One. Ragged. Hole.

Drives me nuts haha

Comment

I wish more folks got to spend some actual time behind a full blown benchrest rig 6ppc / 1.5oz trigger / 36-45x power scope & some wind flags...you get an actual understanding of what it takes to put 5 shots into one hole.

Comment

I understand what it takes to shoot a one hole group. I also understand I don’t have it. My cousin has a ruger #1 in 30-06 and its about a 3/4 moa type gun, with hand loads. Always been accurate enough for deer hunting and beautiful. Good luck on your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              I wish more folks got to spend some actual time behind a full blown benchrest rig 6ppc / 1.5oz trigger / 36-45x power scope & some wind flags...you get an actual understanding of what it takes to put 5 shots into one hole.
              True words right there! It’s amazing to me that the average joe can do this without that type of equipment.

Comment

I would go with a single shot bolt gun. I think they are generally the most accurate guns overall because of the stiffness of the action cause of no magazine.

Comment

Amen. It’s quite an experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                    True words right there! It’s amazing to me that the average joe can do this without that type of equipment.
                    ...and they state to do it consistently?? Then I find out it's a standard scope without parallax adjustment.

Most fixed parallax scopes have 1/2 to 3/4" movement at 100yds...hunting reticles can cover up a benchrest bullseye much less repeat the same hold. You can aim & hold point of aim at your first 6mm hole in the paper on any part of the radius with a bechrest scope. A decent breeze & missed condition moves that pill in flight way more than most can fathom. Not using wind flags with that one hole gun?? Right.

I've had 4 different full blown benchrest rigs & shot for 10 years with thousands of bullets down range & have had only ONE group that was a screamer & measured into the zero's. Hundreds of of groups in the .1's, but a true screamer is extremely difficult to achieve. Most competitive shooters will tell you that very few hummer barrels can be found. Every barrel made is actually dialed into a certain accuracy it can achieve & BR shooters will tell you they save their hummers for competition and practice with ones that can hold the .2's.

The guy who carries around the one hole group in his wallet to prove accuracy does not share all the patterns it routinely groups which are likely a smudge around moa.

Comment

6.5 creed and a vortex. Brooooooo.

Comment

The most accurate single shot rifle I have every shot was a Browning 1885. I have had a Ruger Number 1, not even close, to the Browning. Some of the Ruger Number 1s look very nice, but I have not seen any that shoot that great. The one 1885 we had was a tack driver. It was a heavy barrel 22-250. That is another gun I want one of, not sure what caliber, but I definitely want another 1885. I keep finding them, but they typically are octagon barreled 25-06s or 243s with octagon barrels. I don't have much use for the octagon barrels. I want another heavy barrel gun. Also most I find have the straight grip stock, I liked the curved grip stock.

Comment

There it is!! I’m surprised it took 25 posts. . .

Lol

God I hope you are joking

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            6.5 creed and a vortex. Brooooooo.

Nice moves.....cuz with 6.5 you only need one shot

Comment

Ruger No 1 no question

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I watched my father for 20+ years put one hole groups at 100 yds and kill deer out to 500 with a ruger no 1 s in 300 win mag. His fore stock shattered on his, and it has never been the same... I don’t think I ever saw the ol man cry over an object other than that. Like a piece of him broke...think my thoughts have been resolved. Thank y’all, I’ll keep looking for that red butt pad.. and yes I will get my dads gun.. one day. I pray to god that day is very far away.

Comment

Working...
                                X