Red Beans & Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Beans & Rice

This is the recipe my mom always made for us growing up. I just recently started making it myself it and has turned out great. Here is a picture but I made a couple changes to the recipe.

Here is my version:

Soak 2 lbs of dried red kidney beans overnight (12-18 hours) (Camellia Red Kidney Beans I think are the best but that is because we have always used them) I put them in a big pot without a lid and fill the water up to about 1 inch over the top of them.

Drain the water off the beans in a colander.

Here are the ingredients I put in:

2 cup chopped onion (I like yellow)
    1/2 cup thin sliced green onion
    SKIP GREEN PEPPER (SEE RECIPE PICTURE)
    1 1/3 tbs garlic (I use a little more because I love garlic)
    2 tbs. finely minced parsley.
    1 lb cubed smoked ham (The recipe says not to use smoked ham because it will make it too salty but I skip the pickled pork so it doesn't matter)
    1 1/2 lbs hot (spicy) smoked sausage sliced
    SKIP PICKLED PORK
    SKIP HAM BONE
    1 tbs. salt
    1/2 tbs. black pepper
    1/8 tsp. cayenne
    1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
    2 whole bay leaves broken into quarters
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1/8 tsp. dried basil
    2 qt. cold water, approximately

I use a 6 qt crock pot which is barely big enough for this recipe. I put the beans in the crock pot first, then meat, then veggies, then seasoning and pour water over it all until it get close to covering everything. Cook on high for about an hour and then stir every 45 minutes to an hour after that. I cook for about 6 hours total. If you had a bigger crock pot to handle a recipe this size it might cook a little faster.

Towards the end of cooking if there is any extra water on top you can get a ladle and scoop it off the top. Save the water in a measuring cup or regular cup. Once you have the water level down to about the top of the beans you can start mashing some of the beans against the side of the pot to make them creamy. If they get too thick, just add a little water back to them. If I have any left over water and the beans seem a little thick I will add a little water to them before putting them in containers to refrigerate or freeze because they will thicken up even more after cooling down.

Sounds dang good to me, I'd just add some sliced sausage to it. Cajun food is my weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
      Sounds dang good to me, I'd just add some sliced sausage to it. Cajun food is my weakness.
      See my version of the recipe

Comment

Love me some red beans and rice!
        I always break up some cornbread and smother it with the red beads and rice.

And I know it doesn't sound great, but don't knock it till you try it.
        - drizzle Heinz 57 sauce on it. I think it completes the dish well. Gives it something that it's missing.

Comment

Also if you like them a little more spicy, Add about 3-4 tbs (complete guess) of hot sauce in half way through cooking. I like crystals hot sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
            See my version of the recipe
            Whoops, I like your style!

Comment

Sounds good. I'll have to give this one a try.

Comment

What's even mo better is to add a can of mild Rotel in (diced tomatoes green and red jalapeƱos )

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty5 View Post
                  What's even mo better is to add a can of mild Rotel in (diced tomatoes green and red jalapeƱos )
                  I think I will try that next time but with hot rotel!!

Comment

That sounds awesome, thanks for posting it!

Comment

playing Mr. Mom for the weekend while the wife is away. starting a pot of these now-thanks for putting up the recipe.

Comment

In for later use.

Comment

I'm good for red beans and rice about 4-5 times a month, I think I have an addiction....

Normally buy the Zatarans box but heck I might have to give this recipe a run!

Comment

Not quite how I make mine; so, I'm going to try it tonight!

Comment

Pretty darn good eats right there! I followed you're recipe but I added a smoked ham hock w/bone to the mix.

I also used a pressure cooker to cut the actual cook time to down to an hour.

Everyone thinks it's great!

Last edited by Rat; 01-08-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X