Deli Roast Beef at Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deli Roast Beef at Home

This is an "eye of round" roast I did at the house tonight. I absolutely LOVE roast beef deli meat, but can't afford to pay $10.50/lb. So I did a little research and did my own. I brined it over night then it spent 3hrs in the oven @200 degrees. Not a lot of measuring went on except with the salt and brown sugar.

1/2c Salt
    3/4c Brown Sugar
    ~1tspn Garlic powder
    ~1tbp Liquid smoke

After brining overnight it was rinsed off then brushed with olive oil so the seasoning would stick.

The crust is a liberal coating of coarse ground black pepper and garlic powder (due to brining I didn't include salt).

Then in the oven @200 degrees until the internal temp reached 125. Pull it out and let it rest for 20 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fargus; 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM.

I may have to try that... looks delicious.

Comment

Dang that looks awesome. I wonder how one of my Axis roasts would turn out like that

Comment

Details on brining? Never did it before. Looks amazing.

Comment

Looks really good. I have to try this

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Interested as well

Comment

Looks perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

OP, looks great brother

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                Interested as well

Brining is a process similar to marination in which meat or poultry is soaked in brine before cooking.[2] Salt is added to cold water in a container, where the meat is soaked usually six to twelve hours. The amount of time needed to brine depends on the size of the meat. More time is needed for a large turkey compared to a broiler fryer chicken. Similarly with a large roast versus a thin cut of meat.

Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation.[2] The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes.[2] This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis.[2] The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins.[2] The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating.

In many foods the additional salt is also desirable as a preservative.

I brined a sirloin and deep fried it several yrs ago (see link)
                probably cooked it 3-4 minutes to long but it was still delicious

... http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=brine

I brine with seafood boil to give food an added flavor

RB crawfish boil , kosher salt, carrots , celery , cilantro , rosemary , tarragon , thyme , onions, garlic , cracked black pepper corn, sage, whiskey , 2 oranges .... your food to be cooked will take on these flavors and stay juicy

Comment

In

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

So do you completely submerge the meat in the brine? Flip it over half way through?

Comment

So do you completely submerge the meat in the brine? Flip it over half way through?
                        yep, brine for 24 hrs in fridge

submerge the meat in brine mixture , turn and stir after 12 hrs

rinse with cold water when you take meat out

pat dry, season with RB or whatever you choose, then cook as desired

Comment

Found it
                          Gentlemen I had this over the weekend and it was amazing

Comment

Dang looks great

Comment

Working...
                            X