Reload help- savage 110 FCP 300 win mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reload help- savage 110 FCP 300 win mag

I've got a savage 110 FCP 300 win mag, I've been working up loads with 220 grain smk with imr 7828 and had no luck on a tight group. I dropped down to 200 grain smk using Alliant reloader 22 and still no good groups. My best group using 200 grain Sierra matchking with RL22 was a little over an inch group. I've been reading on the 30 cal Berger 190 grain as a target/hunting bullet..... Have any of y'all used this bullet and if so, what are your opinions??? What is a good powder also to push behind a Berger 190 grain vld?
    Thanks,
    Micah

The 180gr Nosler Partition was the only thing that grouped in my Remington. I tried several 200+gr bullets with 2-3" groups. The Nosler's were a bit less than 1".

Comment

Are you adjusting your COAL? This has a large bearing on accuracy.
      Are you stuck on the 200 grain bullets? 180 grain may work better for you. What is your barrel twist.
      Original stock?
      Last edited by cattlelackranch; 11-15-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

You need to match the bullet weight to your barrel rate of twist. Then mess with seating depth. My savage likes the bullet all the way in the lans with no "jump".

Comment

First, pick a bullet.

Second, pick a powder.

Load to the specified COAL for that bullet with the full range of charge weights for that powder. For the .300 Win Mag, I'd move in 1 gr increments. E.g., 71, 72, 73, et cet.

One or two of those weights should give better results than the others. If it's 1 moa or better, then start experimenting with seating depth. If not, pick a different powder and try again.

Changing the bullet and the powder at the same time will drive you crazy—too many variables. You can swap steps one and two if you prefer to pick the powder rather than the bullet.

LWD

First thinAgree re seating depth. I'd adjust the se

Comment

H1000 - 76 grains with a 208 gr A-Max is a really good load

Comment

Yes I have moved around some with the COAL, I'm gonna try 1 type of bullet and 1 powder at a time. Thanks for y'all's info!

Comment

My twist rate is 1-10". Is 200 and 220 grain to heavy for my twist or am I not messing enough with the COAL?

Comment

180 grains is enough, and I use nosler partition...In my 300 win, what are u hunting elephants...

Comment

Hahaha I wish! Gonna use it as a long range gun, some of my buds and I have used 308 and that caliber doesn't seem to do much good past 1000 yards. I plan on trying a mile shot later on once I figure out my load and dial information!

Comment

The 210 gr Berger shoots .3" out of my Rem 700 stock barrel. Highly suggest you try it.

Comment

I use a Berger VLD in my 25/06AI and it is a great hunting bullet. Might not want that bullet coming out of a 300wm hitting a deer at too close of a range.

I shoot a 180 Accubond in my 300 with great results.

First question you need to answer is, simply enough, is the gun capable of shooting SUB MOA? Might need to do a little work on the gun.

I had a 25WSSM that would not shoot less than 2 inch. I had a smith work on the trigger and stock and then worked on a load. I found a load for a 90 grain BT bullet that would do SUB MOA. I NEVER got the gun to shoot a 110 to 120 bullet - and I tried a bunch of different combs. That gun just did not like a heaver bullet. Sold the gun.

When I work up a load I load 4 rounds each and shot. For example just worked a load for a 223. Started at 26.4, 26.6, 26.8, 27.0, 27.2 etc. found a SUB MOA sweet spot at 27.0. Then loaded 40 and sighted in the gun. Now I have a .75 inch shooter. Good enough for me to shot a critter out to a couple hundred yards.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by micah View Post
                          My twist rate is 1-10". Is 200 and 220 grain to heavy for my twist or am I not messing enough with the COAL?
                          No, they should be fine. Here's a link to Shilen's twist rate chart. http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

Regarding twist rates, the first and most important thing is that the twist is fast enough to stabilize the bullet. After that, anything else is very secondary. The benchrest guys want the bullet just barely stabilized, so they will often use the slowest twist barrel possible for the load being shot.

A bullet is overstabilized only to the extent that it will precess around a center axis. Put another way, the bullet is spinning so fast it wobbles slightly as it spins. This is not a concern for hunting accuracy. It usually goes away in a couple hundred yards and effects accuracy very little, if at all. But it's why the BR guys want to avoid it.

The only way a too-fast twist barrel is a problem is with very frangible varmint bullets at very hight velocity. For example, a 40 grain Sierra Blitz in a .22-250.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                            I had a 25WSSM that would not shoot less than 2 inch. I had a smith work on the trigger and stock and then worked on a load. I found a load for a 90 grain BT bullet that would do SUB MOA. I NEVER got the gun to shoot a 110 to 120 bullet - and I tried a bunch of different combs. That gun just did not like a heaver bullet. Sold the gun.
                            Be aware of this potential problem. My .243 shoots exactly 2 loads Sub-MOA. I really like both of the loads, so I kept the gun. But everything else was 1.5 MOA to much, much worse. 55 grain varmint bullets shot 3-4" groups depending on bullets. Most 100 grain bullets did 1.5-2" groups. But the Nosler 70 grain BTip and the Sierra 85 gr BTHP are both consistent .75 MOA loads.

Try some lighter bullets to see what yours does with them.

LWD

Comment

Gonna try the berger 190 vld and hopefully find a good load! Thanks for all y'all's help!

Comment

Working...
                              X