Buzzard migration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzzard migration?

Was out helping a friend work on his truck yesterday. He looked up and told me to look up. There were about 30 turkey buzzards flying in a group heading south. About 45 minutes later, another group of about 20 came over following the other group. Do buzzards migrate? I've never seen this before. Wish one of us would have snapped a pic.

yes

Comment

Last week I saw a huge flock of hawks flying and the next day, 300-400 sitting next to our property in a fresh plowed field. Sent a pic to a friend who is a birder and he said that they were Swainsons Hawk, heading to winter in South America. Pretty neat sight.

Comment

Yes, they do. At our place in Sonora, you will see buzzards all summer (and they were there this past weekend but will be gone now). When the first strong front blows through, you won't see them again until spring.

Comment

Yes, we knew that it was spring time when they returned to Alpine.

Comment

Noticed the same thing here 2 weeks ago. Always liked seeing the scavengers. They’re gone now.

Comment

Saw 30-40 headed south a couple days ago. Did not know they migrated.

Comment

Saturday evening a flock of 15 or so white pelicans flew over near Fredericksburg; hadn’t ever seen that before. Although last year I remember hundreds of Seagulls moving through Austin for a few days.

Comment

did not know that!

Comment

They're on our place in Mexico year round just across the river..

Comment

They migrate in a big swirl (flocks called kettles) that looks like a tornado.

Comment

Yes....sucks because after the first part of October they aren't around as another tool to help locate a lost animal..
                        Last edited by Smart; 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Yes....suck because after the first part of October they aren't around as another tool to help locate a lost animal..
                          You shooting slick tricks?

Comment

Where we hunt in Mason they are gone come winter time. But here around the house in Franklin there are some year round.

Comment

Yep they migrate. At my lease in Eldorado, deer guts and carcasses will dry out in our dump area. Hides turn to leather because no buzzards are there to eat them.

In Votaw they are here all year

Comment

Working...
                              X