No announcement yet.

Stihl Chainsaw ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s about the same size as my dads Echo CS 330t. It’s a super handy little saw. Run a 12-14” bar on it, and they’ll rip.

I’ll carry it, or my CS360t (slightly bigger saw) around the Farm all the time.

I’m not felling big trees in the northwest, I’m trimming limbs and small trees , I have no need for a gigantic saw, neither do most of us here in Texas.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have a 2 Stihl chainsaws, a pole saw, and their weed eater...I love all 4 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        A small sale on Stihl chainsaws. Is this a good price?

MS 170 16 chainsaw. SALE $159.99 Regular $179.99

Will not be used a bunch but want something that will cut a little firewood for the lease and possible for home if we ever get a cold winter again. Mostly cutting mesquite!

Thanks.
        Is the sale online?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
          One and done ! MS 271 Farm Boss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes!

Comment

I have a MS170. Does everything I need. Nice and light. A sharp chain makes all the difference. Buy a spare when you buy the saw.

Comment

Just bought a MSA 140 C-BQ electric over the weekend.
              I will never own a gas powered chainsaw again.
              This little thing rocks. Cut plenty of fire wood with it already.
              As long as the battery is charged it starts every time.

Comment

I have that saw for my light duty work. Going on 3 yrs. I run the gas out when done, but will take it in yearly for a once over. I also run the non ethanol unleaded & mix Stihl oil. For bigger jobs I run my Husquvarna 350 Rancher.

Comment

The MS170 is a Pile of Guano. Stihl has cheapened their lower tiered saws to the point that Poulan is more reliable. I have been getting fed up with their increasing attempts to decrease quality for increased profits, even by cheapening their commercial saws. You'd be better off spending a little more for a better saw. At that price point, Echo has been making better saws lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                    Is the sale online?
                    The sale is at our local Sutherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Lol

Comment

The commercial hand held tree climbers saw is a beast! I’ve got 14 different Stihl products and they’re all I’ll ever buy! Run the red armour mix or premixed fuel in it to keep it running clean!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          A small sale on Stihl chainsaws. Is this a good price?

MS 170 16 chainsaw. SALE $159.99 Regular $179.99

Will not be used a bunch but want something that will cut a little firewood for the lease and possible for home if we ever get a cold winter again. Mostly cutting mesquite!

Thanks.

Buy it and don't think twice about it. $159 is worth having the peace of mind that you have a reliable tool to help you cut wood easily. (Just remember to take care of it... drain the gas out of it if it's going to sit a while and sharpen the blade YOURSELF)

I have a MS-290 Farm Boss for 16 years and I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEE IT...

When I had my shoulder and elbow injuries I thought I'd never use it and thought about selling it,,,, last month I took it apart, changed a few parts and cleaned it and it worked like a dream. It went through live oak like a hot knife through butter....

PS: try not to cut boux d'arc (Sp!) too much.
                          Last edited by ATI; 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Can't beat STIHL...prices are set by STIHL also

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                              The MS170 is a Pile of Guano. Stihl has cheapened their lower tiered saws to the point that Poulan is more reliable. I have been getting fed up with their increasing attempts to decrease quality for increased profits, even by cheapening their commercial saws. You'd be better off spending a little more for a better saw. At that price point, Echo has been making better saws lately.

I'm glad somebody else said it. I have some Stihl saws (including a 170), but they're not my favorite saws. I prefer Dolmar personally, but I can be at a great Stihl dealer in 40 mins and they stock almost everything.

I don't have an Echo saw, but everyone I know who has one seems to prefer it over Stihl lately.

I've only had one Husq that I can recall, but I just didn't like it personally. I know people that cut wood all day long for a living that prefer them over Stihl.

I'm curious about how many of the die-hard Stihl homeowner saw guys run or have run Dolmar, Husq, Echo, etc for comparison? It's simply a matter of personal preference as they're all good saws-but I wonder how much of the homeowner loyalty comes from branding? I wore a freebie hat from a dealer to a doctor appointment a few weeks ago and the doctor said "I can tell I like you already." Uh, ok

Comment

In the commercial line, Stihl has some really good saws. At that level, its more name than quality, but parts are easy to find. I would say it is OK. Not really fair to compare a $160 saw to a $300-800 saw. It will probably do most of what you ask of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X