Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Jerry

Comment

I had started to train my Doberman last year, had some blood and an old Deer tail that had been lying around. Did a couple short blood trails and did a drag with just the scent off the tail and she found it across the yard following the trail perfect. So I think she has pretty good interest in following trails, I haven’t been able to train since but I am going to get back on it as soon as we get our first Deer this year. I’m going to save the blood and part of the hide and will actually commit to getting her trained for next season. Will be reading through this thread for all the tips you guys have committed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We found our first of the year this morning and it sure was nice to get the pup out. Buddy shot a BB and the arrow went through and hit a BB doe in the rear end. It was shot around 5 the evening before and dropped the dog around 9 this morning. Good blood for the first 100 yards or so and not much after that besides a few good spots were she must have stopped for a bit. She went about 400 yards in a half circle. Took Delta a few minutes to get started but she sorted it out.
        Got pics but can't post since photobucket started their crap looks like I've got to figure out a new way to post pics.

Comment

My catahoula Daisy got put on her first hog track Friday evening. I shot a big boar with a slicktrick. Penetration looked ok but had some arrow hanging out.

I walked back to camp and when she saw her 15' lead she got excited. We rode the 4wheeler back (only hunting 21 acres) and i really think she smelled the blood Or Hog before i stopped. I tried taking her to the feeder but she was dragging me towards the wood.

I wanted to cut her loose but she doesnt bark much plus i didnt want her to cross a fence.

I held on for the ride (about 80-100 yds). She stopped once at this and probably thought she was done.

I got the leash untangled and caught my breath and we took off again.

A few seconds later we were done. This was only her 4th track. I just dont get many opportunities.

If anyone in Leon or Harris counties needs a dog, let me know.

She was tuckered after all the action....

Comment

Congrats on the recovery Chew!
            It's one hell of a ride hanging on to that rope for sure

Comment

Awesome Chew! Proud for ya

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Buck found this doe I shot last night she was slightly quartering to. I felt good about the shot but backed out gave her 45 minutes while I went and got the dog. No visual blood for the first 50 plus yard but I could tell Buck was on her. Approx 250 yards total but he made quick work of it and we had her located within 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmiles View Post
                    I luckily do not need help yet but I was wondering if anyone has a tracking dog in Atascosa County just south of Pleasanton. I hunt in the Whitsett area and would not mind having good contact info incase I need it

Thanks,
                    Brandon
                    i have one and live in pleasanton. 830-570-1714

Comment

Guys I have a friend that is seriously looking for a started tracking dog. If you know of something text 903-826-0219...Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers1 View Post
                        Guys I have a friend that is seriously looking for a started tracking dog. If you know of something text 903-826-0219...Thanks!!!
                        They are hard to find and worth a lot of money for a real dog. Tell him to be very careful and tedious in his search.... I would make them show him a track before he buys anything. Good luck!

Comment

Just got a shorthair pointer puppy, 12 weeks old, wanting to train him to be a tracking dog and am looking for training and tips and guidance. I already ordered john jeannreys books but haven't got them yet. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Comment

I continue to be amazed how easy a dog can find a dead or wounded deer sometimes. I shot this 8 yesterday just before dark. I was certain I'd hit the deer by the way he kicked and the sound of the arrow hitting him. I crawled out of the popup and looked for blood and my arrow. Neither was to be found so I assumed the arrow was still in him(I gotta get some lighted nocks). I headed back to the house and waited 45 minutes and headed back with the dog. I turned her loose where I'd shot the deer. She immediately picked up the trail and headed exactly where the buck ran and had him 198 yds from where I shot him in less than 3 minutes. I'd still be looking in this thick stuff. I hit the deer a little forward but the arrow went down and back some so it nicked the heart.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                              I continue to be amazed how easy a dog can find a dead or wounded deer sometimes. I shot this 8 yesterday just before dark. I was certain I'd hit the deer by the way he kicked and the sound of the arrow hitting him. I crawled out of the popup and looked for blood and my arrow. Neither was to be found so I assumed the arrow was still in him(I gotta get some lighted nocks). I headed back to the house and waited 45 minutes and headed back with the dog. I turned her loose where I'd shot the deer. She immediately picked up the trail and headed exactly where the buck ran and had him 198 yds from where I shot him in less than 3 minutes. I'd still be looking in this thick stuff. I hit the deer a little forward but the arrow went down and back some so it nicked the heart.
                              Bagley has saved me hundreds of hours tracking deer here at the farm. Even on deer that are well hit, It turns a couple of hour tracking job into a few minutes work

Comment

Any one training a blood dog in dfw ??

Comment

Working...
                                X