Health Insurance rip off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Insurance rip off

So the wife was having severe abdominal pain this morning so I took her to her doctor. The doctor ordered a CT Scan and sent us across town to get it. When we get here the lady tells us that we haven’t met our insurance deductible and out of pocket yet so we need to pay $2689.00 for the scan. I told them that I had one done with no insurance and it wasn’t that much. She says “It’s cheaper without insurance”. So I tell her I’ll pay the “without insurance price”. Total out the door is $400. This whole insurance game is ridiculous and really ticks me off. If you have anything done and have insurance make sure you ask them for the cash price too. They were going to let us pay $500 today and pay the balance out monthly if we filed on insurance. Didn’t file and got out for $400 total. Grrrrr

Wow, nice of her to give you that option upfront

Good lesson for the rest of us.

Comment

I’m a cash pay patient also and it’s been ok so far. Only worry I have is if it’s something major, it would be beneficial to have it.

Comment

That's crazy but I seem to hear this same situation alot these days.

Comment

And there is the problem with our healthcare system. why is a facility willing to accept $400.00 and presumably be profitable for this service but must be paid much much more to file it on insurance. I understand there is a cost to file a claim and have to wait for your money but that is ridiculous.

Comment

I had a similar experience, wife is pregnant and needed some extra ultrasounds because she is old (35). With insurance it's a little more than $1500. If you pay cash, $248.

Comment

Obamacare

Prescriptions are the same way. My Kroger is really good about checking both options and many times has told us how much cheaper it is to not run through insurance

Comment

Thanks Barak.

Comment

I have catastrophic insurance. Always pay cash. Much cheaper

Comment

Pre-paying with cash for delivering a child is the same way. Waaay cheaper than what they will hit your insurance for if you had coverage for delivery. $4,500 vs $45,000 roughly??? Doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Auto body shops are the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                        What kind of policy do you have? Deductible?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                          I'd like to hear some details on this. How much is the premium, deductible, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                            And there is the problem with our healthcare system. why is a facility willing to accept $400.00 and presumably be profitable for this service but must be paid much much more to file it on insurance. I understand there is a cost to file a claim and have to wait for your money but that is ridiculous.
                            Because, you are paying for yourself and the 10 others who don't have insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              So the wife was having severe abdominal pain this morning so I took her to her doctor. The doctor ordered a CT Scan and sent us across town to get it. When we get here the lady tells us that we haven’t met our insurance deductible and out of pocket yet so we need to pay $2689.00 for the scan. I told them that I had one done with no insurance and it wasn’t that much. She says “It’s cheaper without insurance”. So I tell her I’ll pay the “without insurance price”. Total out the door is $400. This whole insurance game is ridiculous and really ticks me off. If you have anything done and have insurance make sure you ask them for the cash price too. They were going to let us pay $500 today and pay the balance out monthly if we filed on insurance. Didn’t file and got out for $400 total. Grrrrr
                              I've done the same thing. Needed a MRI, My cost with insurance was $900. Cash price was $300. Guess which one I chose.

Comment

Working...
                              X