Irish Setter or GSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Setter or GSP

My wife and I have been back and forth on what new dog for the family. We are really considering going to get one of the two tomorrow. A GSP or an Irish Setter. This will be a hybrid inside/outside dog with 100 acres with two ponds to roam. Being good with our almost 3 year old son is really important. Which do you guys recommend out of these 2? Also would you get a male or female?

I have had 2 GSP, great family dog, does great on larger areas.

Comment

I have a GSP, great around kids and will love how much land you have. They are good gun dogs too if you want to train them to hunt

Comment

My wife is trying to throw Brittany Spaniel in the mix!!?

Comment

i forgot to mention, GSPs short hair is great for Texas heat

Comment

You’re getting a pup tomorrow and don’t know what you want? [emoji50] my vote is gsp she is a great inside/outside dog. Also the short hair is nice it requires very little maintenance only brushing about once a week. She does she’d quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              You’re getting a pup tomorrow and don’t know what you want? [emoji50] my vote is gsp she is a great inside/outside dog. Also the short hair is nice it requires very little maintenance only brushing about once a week. She does she’d quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Haha! That’s kind of our style

Comment

GSP or Vizsla...the Viz actually is part GSP & Weimer. The Drahthaar is worth considering as well.

One does not just go out tomorrow while still deciding on breed...you got some homework to do.

Comment

Gsp great family dog and incredible drive

Comment

What would you get if no one answered you?

Comment

Gsp over an Irish setter. You can train a gsp to hunt, and they will "want" to hunt after they are trained. We have one, a female, our dog is an inside and outside dog. Lives inside, but wants outside ever chance she gets. She will wander, but will come first thing when called. Our gsp hunts dove, duck, quail etc. The dog has bird on the brain. Gsp are a high energy high drive dog, so if u have land they will be right at home. It takes patience owning a gsp, but the rewards of watching them hunt, and grow with your family is not measurable. I take time w my dog everyday even if it is only a few minutes to throw her decoy or take her down to the lake to swim. I involve my kids too, so they know how to command the dog. The best was a few days ago watching the sunset over the lake we let the kids play on the shore and swim and the dog is right next to the kids in the water as the sun was going down. They're a great breed, but require patience on your part. It's like owning a high energy kid for about the first 5 yrs. They are athletes.

Comment

In keeping with answering the OP's question, I would pick GSP over the Irish.

However since Brittany Spaniels have been thrown into the mix I think you should take a look at a spaniel link below. Just read the first and last pages. Great with children, birds and will not run two counties over. Call Coach Pat Dye's office in Auburn and see where he got his. I think it was around Troy or Ozark AL. A Boykin spaniel would be a great addition to the family not a Brittany.

Comment

Just curious, since you’re buying on impulse (decision influenced by others in less 24 hrs), have you researched the seller, breeder, seen the litter and parents ? Or are you buying this dog from a Pet Store, animal shelter, or rescue dog ?

If making a decision that could last 10 + years as a family member, I’d suggest a bit more research to find what breed best suits your family and lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                            In keeping with answering the OP's question, I would pick GSP over the Irish.

However since Brittany Spaniels have been thrown into the mix I think you should take a look at a spaniel link below. Just read the first and last pages. Great with children, birds and will not run two counties over. Call Coach Pat Dye's office in Auburn and see where he got his. I think it was around Troy or Ozark AL. A Boykin spaniel would be a great addition to the family not a Brittany.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=378385
                            Wow, great thread not I’ll have to research them some more. What makes you say no to the Brittany though?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              Just curious, since you’re buying on impulse (decision influenced by others in less 24 hrs), have you researched the seller, breeder, seen the litter and parents ? Or are you buying this dog from a Pet Store, animal shelter, or rescue dog ?

If making a decision that could last 10 + years as a family member, I’d suggest a bit more research to find what breed best suits your family and lifestyle.
                              If you look back I posted a thread months ago about a family dog. We have been looking and reading constantly for awhile. I have read/found many breeds to be excellent dogs for what I am looking for. I will say that I have not done the research to look into specific breeders though. The puppies we considered going to look at today were with individuals we’ve found, not big breeders with websites.

Comment

Working...
                              X