Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
PROLINE19
Four Point

Hunt In: CENTRAL TEXAS/PANHANDLE
Default Judge for snake gun

who uses the Taurus Judge for their snake gun?
PROLINE19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
breadman
Eight Point

I do , bit of an overkill but it works
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Rugar LCR 38/357 with snake shot. Very light and small in the pocket. Dont even know it is there. Judge would be big heavy and a pain in the but if you are meaning a snake gun to carry while out. If just around the house barn or in the truck maybe.
Dirtymike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

We have a 6.5" SS Judge that works in the truck, in the UTV and at least for us is NOT that heavy or a pain to put on your belt. The 410 will end your problems quickly with a snake and the 45LC works on close encounters with critters like a hog...from experience.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
HCGedge3
Four Point

I do! I haven’t had to use it yet, and I am not complaining about that.
HCGedge3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Johnny44
Eight Point

I’ve ran a fairly large gambit looking for that “snake gun”.

Evey dang Judge I had (shame on me x 5) jammed up and dealing with customer service sucked bigger than bigtime.

My Bro-N-Law uses one on his TV show and God Bless him no failure yet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gMuSLaMEQ

The pistol calibers with the plastic capsules would eventually slide out or jump crimp

The Bond Derringer works, but kinda expensive. If you want Hell-Fer-Stout reliability, its the one.
Things that cannot go wrong with the Bond, primers can’t pop backward jamming the action, capsules don’t jump crimp or fall out, 410 birdshot is everywhere. Winchester AA will give you the tightest pattern because of the innards.

I settled for the purpose on a Charter Pitbull 45 acp with the CCI shotshells but it ain’t a Bond.

The .40 & .45 shotshells because of the way they are made have only yielded reliability.

It really boils down to when you come face to face with the critter, do you need it to work 100%

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Get a real revolver in 357mag/38spl / 44mag/44spl or 45LC and use rat shot for the first chamber or two & the rest for two & 4 legged snakes.

The judge is a boat anchor & not needed for a snake killer...the 410 is an excellent & challenging round for shooting doves. It's a poor choice for self defense as a long gun, much less a pistol. It gets points for marketing only. Don't fall for it.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

I do. Killed several rattlers with mine. Deadly on snakes and Ive had no problems whatsoever.
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
texasokie2
Four Point

Hunt In: Sheffield, Tx.

I use the Judge for my snake gun and have been pleased with it. I've used it numerous times on snakes and have never had any negative issue with it.

I don't think the snakes like it much.
texasokie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

It is my snake killer. I will also put it on my belt for spot and stalk Whitetail for rattlesnakes. Usually it rides between drivers seat and center console of the jeep on river trips to the Llano. Hasn't met a snake it didn't kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #11
Johnny44
Eight Point

Artos, the 410 is the ONLY shotgun as effective as a 12 gauge for some purposes that I have found.

410 and 12 gauge have 000 buck, 3” 410 have 5 in a column. Brenneke slugs will drop a 400lb hog on the spot with a pass through. Remington long range and AA Winchester for birds, rabbits, and squirrels. Regular off the shelf Rem slugs for coyotes and such. Oh, the triple-aught to the neck drops hogs too.

I get humored from 410 discussions because I put it to the test for kicks. I put it to the test very hard too, I shot lots of game in several states.

I was so impressed by the 410 and Federal Handgun 3” 000 on pigs in a full choke that I now use it for home defense.

Make no mistake, I’m talking shotgun length barrels of 20” or more.

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-15-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

I'll let Mike D take it from here...

I stand by my comments. The judge sucks as a self defense gun as does the 410 in general vs the many many other better options. I think it's comical to compare a 12ga bore to the 410 & not gonna waste my time. It's now turned as I expected & not gonna get sucked into explaining the ignorance.

To the OP, it's an efficient snake gun but your money is better spent on a traditional revolver.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I do. It's just so dang loud
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I have never met a snake that I couldn't kill with whatever handgun I'm carrying at the moment. From a Ruger LCP to a Blackhawk in .45 Colt or a G20, or any of the other handguns I carry at times. They don't rush you like a grizzly bear, they just coil up or slide away. If they strike before you see them, it's usually too late anyway......
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
Johnny44
Eight Point

Comical is giving an opinion without anything to back it up except an opinion. I give you guys my word as a retired soldier, the 410 is a force to be reckoned with.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #16
Johnny44
Eight Point

Artos, I forgot to remind you, Beto is counting on your vote.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My buddy had one. I wasn't overly impressed with it using bird shot. Or really any bird shot out of any pistol for snakes. You've got to be close to blow their head completely off. Well within striking range otherwise you'll just put tiny holes in them. You're better off using bullets or just leaving the snake alone. Not to mention the cost of ammo. .410 and .45lc are both expensive.

I wouldn't shoot anything but .45lc or buckshot if I had one. Bird shot is weak sauce out of a pistol.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #18
PaPhelps
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: ETX

PaPhelps is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
Comical is giving an opinion without anything to back it up except an opinion. I give you guys my word as a retired soldier, the 410 is a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks for your response to this OP and "some" that believe one is stupid if they state an opinion different than "just responding."

I've seen many a fatality/critical trauma for both 2 & 4 legged critters with many different calibers. I've personally shot many a "crawler" with the 410, with a single shot snake charmer and the Judge. Only difference is with the Judge handgun, the distance can become an issue simply with the shot spread. Never shot a hog, as you pictured, but I disagree with it being discounted as ineffective....

Again, your response made me smile...Oh, thanks for your service from another ole' fart! I like your style Brother...
Old 10-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #20
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I use the 22 mag from North American Ams (loaded with Rat shot)
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #21
Johnny44
Eight Point

Kuma, I thank the Judge and other 410 handguns for a reason different from most people too.

Because of their larger 45 cal barrel, manufacturers have developed 410 loads specifically for better patterns from the handguns. These produce great results in a full choke or modified Mossberg.

I also tried recipes from hunters up north in shotgun only states that include .395 balls (and larger) to .41 mag bullets in 444 or 410 Brass.

The 3” Federal 000 Buck, and 3” Brenneke slugs are brutal in the full length shotgun barrel and commercially available.

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #22
Dushon
Ten Point

Id rather get snake bit than own a judge

Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
Alemana
Spike

Hunt In: Benavides

I have one for quite a few years now and killed many rattlers with it. It is heavy but i keep it in the ranch truck or my carry bag
Alemana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #24
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

I have the Taurus public defender. It gets the job done when I need it. I use a AR12 for my snake gun in my truck at the lease and carry the Taurus while bow hunting or turning water on.
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

I got a paddle holster for my 3 stainless, made it much easier to tote around.

Another option is a semi auto .22 pistol.
It would be much quieter than a revolver and give you 10 chances to get the job done. Ammos much cheaper too.

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #26
joebriles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

I have the polymer one and its not too heavy (I do carry a Glock 17 on my hip and duty holster everyday so take that for what its worth). I keep the 1st four round loaded with 45lc lever revolution and the last shot .410 birdshot. If I see a pig then I have four rounds. If I walk up on a rattle bug, I just rotate the cylinder to the .410 and let it go.
joebriles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Have a couple myseff... Most of the time I carry my 6 1/2" bbl SS model with .410 bore 3" in all 5 holes unless I'm tracking a hog, then switch 2 or 3 of them out to a 45 LC. Have never had a failure of any kind with either. The other one is a 2" cerra-coated stubby, but it also has the 3" cylinder. At 20 feet, both will turn a moccasin to shreds with #6's. It does WAY more than "poke tiny holes in 'em from a safe distance...
Other than the loudness of 'em, I like 'em. I don't use 'em for "self-defense" as such though. Like "Artos" said, LOTS of better choices. But for a snake gun, they serve that purpose very well.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #28
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kuma, I thank the Judge and other 410 handguns for a reason different from most people too.

Because of their larger 45 cal barrel, manufacturers have developed 410 loads specifically for better patterns from the handguns. These produce great results in a full choke or modified Mossberg.

I also tried recipes from hunters up north in shotgun only states that include .395 balls (and larger) to .41 mag bullets in 444 or 410 Brass.

The 3 Federal 000 Buck, and 3 Brenneke slugs are brutal in the full length shotgun barrel and commercially available.
Good comments! Like some, I designate different handguns for the specific purpose they serve at least for me. For general "snake killing," they work great and as stated before, the 45lc will do a job on larger critters within handgun range. For personal defense for 2 "legged" critters, the Judge will definitely work but I prefer a "double stack" magazine "in several different calibers, lol."

My reason for the response earlier was simply the "experts" who discount anyone else's preference or opinions! Again Johnny, good information and thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #29
Johnny44
Eight Point

The 410 difference between handgun and full length barrel is like night and day though.
I tried that same buckshot on out of the handgun and it didn’t fare so well.

I know we are talking “snakes” and “handgun” though, I get easily diverted.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #30
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Like so many threads on here, the OP asks a question and the answers morph into multiple other subjects.

His question was who uses the Taurus Judge as a snake gun? I did when I lived in Texas and it works great for that purpose.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
PROLINE19
Four Point

Hunt In: CENTRAL TEXAS/PANHANDLE

thanks folks. i was thinking of buying one to carry in my truck and UTV. after many post and opinions i have been convinced to go ahead and buy the pistol. thx everyone.
PROLINE19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well post up some LDSP's when you get your first one with it!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #33
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

I've got one along with a Bond derringer. The Judge stays in the Ranger and the Bond is in my backpack. If you're looking for "only" a snake gun, no risk with either one IMO.

Since is was brought up in the thread but not in the OP, .410 would be a **** poor choice for home defense... LOTS of better options out there....
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #34
duckmanep
Ten Point

doubles as a skunk gun too!!
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #35
Johnny44
Eight Point

Tubby,

You are just plain wrong and based on your assessment I can only guess you probably have no defensive, offensive, or deadly force experience on humans. Thats ok though, I did my duty and gots the yardstick and inquisitive nature in which to measure by. A 14” or better 410 shotgun with 3” 000 Buck is an excellent choice and kills as good as the same in 12 ga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
I've got one along with a Bond derringer. The Judge stays in the Ranger and the Bond is in my backpack. If you're looking for "only" a snake gun, no risk with either one IMO.

Since is was brought up in the thread but not in the OP, .410 would be a **** poor choice for home defense... LOTS of better options out there....

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-18-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

ruger lcr 9mm loaded with shot shell
justintyme8303 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #37
Tubby
Pope & Young

Quote:
Tubby,

You are just plain wrong and based on your assessment I can only guess you probably have no defensive, offensive, or deadly force experience on humans. Thats ok though, I did my duty and gots the yardstick and inquisitive nature in which to measure by. A 14 or better 410 shotgun with 3 000 Buck is an excellent choice and kills as good as the same in 12 ga.
"Just plain wrong"? Ok, I didn't know there was a "right" way or a "wrong" way to defend your home... "**** poor" is an opinion, my opinion... Pardon the hell outta me for having an opinion and being "just plain wrong".

And no, I've never shot anyone, never had any defensive, offensive or deadly force experience on humans. Don't plan to either. I do know how to defend my home and myself. Of course in your "opinion" I'm sure I'm "just plain wrong" in that too...

Carry on....
Old 10-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #38
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Quote:
Tubby,

You are just plain wrong and based on your assessment I can only guess you probably have no defensive, offensive, or deadly force experience on humans. Thats ok though, I did my duty and gots the yardstick and inquisitive nature in which to measure by. A 14” or better 410 shotgun with 3” 000 Buck is an excellent choice and kills as good as the same in 12 ga.
I've never seen a 14" barreled judge.

ETA: I owned a judge. The most worthless gun I ever owned and I owned a highpoint at one time.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #39
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROLINE19 View Post
who uses the Taurus Judge for their snake gun?

I do, and love it! That thing will make your ear holes bleed, but it straight up destroys a snake.
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #40
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I've never seen a 14" barreled judge.

ETA: I owned a judge. The most worthless gun I ever owned and I owned a highpoint at one time.
Uh, not a pistol, but the Circuit Judge has a 18.5" barrel....410 & 45LC as well. As for highpoint, this is another thread that has been mentioned time and time again.....

There are LOT'S of "worthless firearms," and of course...everyone has an opinion based on experience. Kinda like trucks, scopes, whatever....$$ don't make it a bad or good one. Just sayin'!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #41
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
"Just plain wrong"? Ok, I didn't know there was a "right" way or a "wrong" way to defend your home... "**** poor" is an opinion, my opinion... Pardon the hell outta me for having an opinion and being "just plain wrong".

And no, I've never shot anyone, never had any defensive, offensive or deadly force experience on humans. Don't plan to either. I do know how to defend my home and myself. Of course in your "opinion" I'm sure I'm "just plain wrong" in that too...

Carry on....
Tubb's, He's actually the one who is incorrect in regards to the whole self defense aspect . He's using an angle of 410 justification for equal killing ability based on accurately placed shots into specific vital zones & mostly brings in hunting scenarios, which I have no argument. I don't care what folks enjoy hunting with as long as they are having fun & successful. Look, You can kill all the big dangerous animals on the planet with a bow, black powder and sub-adequate centerfires do it all the time. There is a great old read about how well the 7x57 Mauser was on killing elephants, but not what I would choose to have in hand if one was charging. The extra weight / energy of good 12ga projectiles be it slugs or tactical buckshot alone stops the debate in regards to which is the superior home defense round. Heck, you could turn a buddy into an enemy if one was to throw a 12ga shell at him too hard. Throw a 410 & they might giggle.

Firearm ramblings...My personal go to in regards for the 12ga home defense is the early Benelli M1 Tactical. The one 12 that has eluded me would be a mint Winchester Model 12 Trenchgun made anywhere before 1945 with a pre-war being tops. My only real 410 want would be a prewar solid rib 42 deluxe. Anyway, Most every major mfg offers a defensive 12ga in pump / auto with a budget to fit any wallet. There is a good reason they do not offer the same models in the 410 across the board & available on every shelf like the 12...which is really the same reason LE / Mil does not pick the 410 to breach doors.

...and that gents is my 12ga/410 schtick for the evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

In regards to the Judge destroying snakes, keep that in mind if you think you may want to mount a rattler some day. It's one of the reasons I went to 38 rat shot over the 45. You wouldn't think it would make much difference but the 45 still has a lot more. The judge with #9 shot is going to be devastating on reptiles. I'm not 100% sure but think all rat shot is #12??
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #42
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County
Default Judge for snake gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Well post up some LDSP's when you get your first one with it!!

Pictures? This thread could use a picture. Ill play-

Fwiw, I was surprised with the accuracy this pistol provides when flinging .45lcs.
Ive even swapped out the shotshells for bullets in order to dispatch a wounded deer before. Kinda handy to have options.

Last edited by DaveC; 10-19-2018 at 08:55 PM.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #43
Johnny44
Eight Point

Fellas, I stand by my assessment on the how well 000 kills, I won’t be changing.
If you don’t think the 410 is as lethal as a 12 gauge or viable for home defense, don’t use it.
I also stated 14” and above because of the 410 shockwave

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/

I know it went outside the parameters of the “Judge”, I never had luck with any of my judges being reliable even a circuit judge.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #44
Johnny44
Eight Point

Furthermore, a 3” 12 gauge has 10 pellets of 000 randomly packed, a 3” 410 has five. Unless you use an extra full choke in the 12 ga when you pattern, you might not want to discount the five rounds in a column from a shell engineered to pattern the best it can out of a 45 bore handgun.

Y’all might wanna do some Bore diameter/shot diameter spread calculations if your math is up to such. Might take a bit more than sixth grade Jethro Bodine cypher-N though.

(Duh? Is 12 ga triple naught more bigger than 410 triple naught...)

If a 410 using 000 buck will collapse a 425lb Boar hog on the spot at 30 yards, I don’t think a home invader is any tougher.

Home defense and hunting, don’t discount the 410.

Last edited by Johnny44; 10-19-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #45
Tubby
Pope & Young

Quote:
Fellas, I stand by my assessment on the how well 000 kills, I wont be changing.
If you dont think the 410 is as lethal as a 12 gauge or viable for home defense, dont use it.
I also stated 14 and above because of the 410 shockwave

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-410-bore/

I know it went outside the parameters of the Judge, I never had luck with any of my judges being reliable even a circuit judge.
So a Mosserg is the "king" of home defense?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
Johnny44
Eight Point

Quote:
So a Mosserg is the "king" of home defense?
Not at all, it was to clear up the 14” barrel mention.

Not sure where you want the thread to go, is your cornbread done in the middle Tubby?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Quote:
Furthermore, a 3 12 gauge has 10 pellets of 000 randomly packed, a 3 410 has five. Unless you use an extra full choke in the 12 ga when you pattern, you might not want to discount the five rounds in a column from a shell engineered to pattern the best it can out of a 45 bore handgun.

Yall might wanna do some Bore diameter/shot diameter spread calculations if your math is up to such. Might take a bit more than sixth grade Jethro Bodine cypher-N though.

(Duh? Is 12 ga triple naught more bigger than 410 triple naught...)

If a 410 using 000 buck will collapse a 425lb Boar hog on the spot at 30 yards, I dont think a home invader is any tougher.

Home defense and hunting, dont discount the 410.
I have patterned some of the 5 pellet three inch .410 buck loads out of a H&R Snake Charmer shotgun at 15 yards. I tend to agree that a center mass hit with that would probably stop any human aggressor immediately.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

If I have a handgun,it's usually a ruger Mark 1 with 10 rnds of solid lead ammo,or a ruger bearcat loaded t he same .if I can't dispatch the animal/reptile with that .....Well,I'll reload and keep trying.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #49
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

I have the Judge Poly Defender and love it. Great for snakes. with bird shot. And killed a pig with 45 long colt.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #50
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

One of the advantages of using the shotshell loads in handguns for snakes is the small pellets do not have much energy if they ricochet.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top