beefy arrows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beefy arrows!

Im wanting to shoot some 500-550 grain arrows outta my new bow.
    I dont wanna know of any arrows with a GPI less than 10. Most hunters now a days don't like heavy, they like fast... well I'm gonna say one thing, i love momentum and confidence. I know there is a lot of old timers on here that will fill me with some knowledge and I'm all about learning new things. I currently shoot 440 grains outta my old set up and can't complain.... but I'm wanting to get near that 500-550 grain mark..
    Ive looking into FMJ's , GOLDTIP KINETICS, grizzlysticks. Wanting any other opinions. THANKS!! God bless

Hit up MuddyFuzzy on here. He will set you up with some Black Eagles. I am about to place an order with him as well. Dude knows his stuf.

Comment

You don't have to have a 10 gpi arrow to build a heavy arrow. Adding heavy inserts and heavier broadheads will build your arrow weight up, plus it creates lots of penetrating, balancing, FOC. Those heavier gpi arrows require a lot of weight up front to get FOC where you want it. This might make you go heavier than you want.

For instance...

I was shooting 486 gr FMJ's. I switched to a lighter arrow and added 14% FOC to it getting the weight up to 436 gr. My lighter arrow actually has better numbers across the board than my heavier arrows. The speed I gained created enough energy to to make up for the loss of weight.
      Last edited by Sleepy; 12-06-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for info, I'm gonna look into it some more..

Comment

With out know bow and draw length. Hard to say. A Carnivor 250 spine at 26.5 long with fletch flex ffp360 vane and a 205 gn tip puts it at 505 with 19% foc. Same arrow but at 27 inch long with 240 gn tip gets you to that 545 at 23% foc.

Comment

Look up Byron Ferguson's heavy hunters

Comment

beefy arrows!

Total weight; specifically distribution, is more important than shaft weight. The optimal situation is to use an overall lighter shaft that allows a Hunter to drop down one spine stiffness rating supplementing total mass weight at the end of the arrow building the desired total weight along with FOC for maximum penetration potential and lethality.
              Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                Total weight; specifically distribution, is more important than shaft weight. The optimal situation is to use an overall lighter shaft that allows a Hunter to drop down one spine stiffness rating supplementing total mass weight at the end of the arrow building the desired total weight along with FOC for maximum penetration potential and lethality.
                He do know what he is talking about. Tell him what your specifics are and he will build you some!

Comment

i shot you a pm

Comment

I made up some heavy arrows for my bison hunt last year. Easton axis 260 with 75 grain brass insert and 125 grain silver flame. They fly like darts and penetrate like crazy. You could go 50 grains on the insert or a 100 grain head to get the weight where you want it.

Comment

Thank you docmay...

Comment

Going with the pile drivers by carbon express.. 13.3 GPI at 29 inche I'll be at 520 grains + Lighted nocks..

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
                          Im wanting to shoot some 500-550 grain arrows outta my new bow.

I dont wanna know of any arrows with a GPI less than 10. Most hunters now a days don't like heavy, they like fast... well I'm gonna say one thing, i love momentum and confidence. I know there is a lot of old timers on here that will fill me with some knowledge and I'm all about learning new things. I currently shoot 440 grains outta my old set up and can't complain.... but I'm wanting to get near that 500-550 grain mark..

Ive looking into FMJ's , GOLDTIP KINETICS, grizzlysticks. Wanting any other opinions. THANKS!! God bless

I do not like high gpi arrows. I flat won't shoot em. The FOC is a lot lower on them unless you get very heavy on the Broadhead. I shot an 8gpi with brass inserts and 125 heads. I make my eight up there and I'm around 16% FOC. With that said Landrover is switching to the Alaskans. His FMJ's weigh 610 grains but the FOC sucks something awful because the dang gpi is so heavy on a parallel shaft. With the Alaskan Tapered shaft he'll be 650 grains and and be over 16%.

Comment

Testify!!!! For the life of me. I see folks shooting 500 grain high gpi arrows, 100 grain heads with a 7% FOC. Makes nada sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                              Testify!!!! For the life of me. I see folks shooting 500 grain high gpi arrows, 100 grain heads with a 7% FOC. Makes nada sense.
                              No sir it dosent.

Comment

Working...
                              X