Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with Osage

Hey guys,

I was down at the property a few days ago and noticed 2 trees. I've never known what they are, but after accidentally stumbling across a picture and reference here on the green screen, I discovered they were Osage. As I understand it, Osage is apparently the duct tape of the wood world, and can be used for a lot. I don't have any idea how to gauge the size of the two trees down there, but they are large to my eye. I wont cut them down, but trimming them could provide some nice pieces of wood.

That said, what do you guys who tinker like to do with Osage?

-LaS

Self Bow

Comment

I have done pens and bottle stoppers out of them before.

Comment

Another tbher just finished a cutting board that is pretty legit. Osage is super hard so you can get it smoother than glass.

Comment

Very good wood, seen a lot of bows and knife handles made out of bois d'arc wood (Another name for Osage)

Comment

Its best on fire. Super hot, but sparks.

Comment

There's a bunch of uses for Osage.

A bow:

A knife handle:

A hand guard for a wooden sword:

A replica of the One Ring:

One of the slabs (or all of the slabs) in a wooden tankard:

The prod for a crossbow:

You can also use it for arrow footings, but I don't have a picture of that.

Comment

Best material for a bow; I have some but I don't use it much on knives just because I like figured wood better although they do make a tough knife handle.

Comment

Any type of handle, hammer,sledge, bow, club for big fish saltwater or bow! You can actually split it in 6' lengths and sale to bowers at a decent price ! Get a good chainsaws!!!! Yeah plural ! And some good axes cause your gonna have your work cut out for you!

Comment

I make a majority of my duck calls from it. If its green (wet) it cuts no problem......dead, or dry it will smoke a saw blade in seconds. Turns on a lathe easy

Comment

It is extremely HARD, just so you know . Great selfbow wood. Hard to find good straight grain though . Y find good grained one cut it out green and then dip the ends in melted wax and let it dry . Then finish your bow... Has a wonderful yellow color...You can also make salad spoons and forks out of some of the narly stuff and put a good soaking of vegetable oil them and the women in your life will love them.....

Comment

Working...
                      X